Ready to race!
My GTI

Attachments

• 22829658_10154706415456330_1172901572607833926_o.jpg
    22829658_10154706415456330_1172901572607833926_o.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 2,300

athos56

Ready to race!
Before I start, some game plan rules. I don't care about noise and vibration unless I actually broke something. It's my daily driver but I want a car that can do what I ask it to do, I also want the car to be better than me so as I get better it's ready. I also plan on taking some lessons at a track even though I don't plan on tracking it regularly. I also will be using the GTI to learn how to work on cars, to perform the basic maintenance tasks and for the enjoyment of it, so I'll be doing mods and upgrading components sometimes just for the hell of it. I've set aside a 3 or 4 bills a month for a parts budget.

Plans so far: Suspension, I want to go through the suspension and get the handling right where I want it. So I'll start off with new shoes, I'm thinking about Pilot Sport AS3+ because I want a good all around tire that I don't have to switch out. If there is a better "jack of all trades" tire I'm open to looking at it. I'm not really interested in lowering it, so I'm going to get Bilsteins B6 and keep the stock springs. I'm open to using other springs but I want to keep any change >1 inch. I'm also planning on increasing the rear sway bar and swapping out the mounts. As far as what I've read, that should address what I currently experience on my favorite drives.

Next, I drive a lot of country roads and there are lots of random things in the road. You can't dodge all of them, case and point I have to get my wife's Prius serviced for this very reason. So I'll be upgrading parts under the GTI for durability. Metal oil pan, maybe a skid plate, or even that A3 aluminum subframe mod... I'm still researching this one. But this is why I want to keep the ride height as close as possible to stock.

Finally, once I have the handling where I want it, I have my driving skill where I want it, I'm going to go for horsepower. My goal is a MAX of 100hp over stock, but I think I'll be happy with whatever the conservative use of a JB4, an intake and down pipe will get me. I really want to be safe with the engine, but am open to expanding this as my knowledge of the engine grows.

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff to mention, all of this is subject to change as I learn, drive, and learn some more.

Renck

Ready to race!
Congrats!

Sport with PP and Lighting package. Cool!!!!!!

I just purchased a Mk7 GTI this past weekend too and I'm going to definitely add a rear sway bar soon.

Coilovers are probably next. But, for the moment, I'm going to enjoy the heck of the new toy.

Cheers!

Last edited:

athos56

Ready to race!
Congrats!

Sport with PP and Lighting package. Cool!!!!!!

I just purchased a Mk7 GTI this past weekend too and I'm going to definitely add a rear sway bar soon.

Coilovers are probably next. But, for the moment, I'm going to enjoy the heck of the new toy.

Cheers!

Thanks! Hope your loving yours as much as I love mine.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Oh dude, your goals are right on par with my plans. Check out my members thread as well for some ideas. I too don't want to touch a spring that lowers much if any at all. The best setup I've heard about so far is the Öhlins Road & Track coil overs.

Subscribed for updates :cool:

athos56

Ready to race!
Thanks ATR, I sub'd your thread. Well I already blew my months budget. What I ordered/bought: a floor jack, deep metric socket set, jack stands, and I piecemeal ordered the Audi jack pads and modified trim pieces. I also bought the steel oil pan, magnetic drain plug, a metal filter housing to the 32mm filter socket, and the basic supplies for my first oil change.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Cool! gotta have tools :D

Sounds like your oil change is gonna be interesting for the first go round.

athos56

Ready to race!
Shipment #1 of 2

The parts begin to assemble. I kinda want to wait for the jack pads to show up, I figure installing those should be the first thing I do.

Attachments

• Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,491

Renck

Ready to race!
Sweeeeet!

It seems you purchased the metal oil pan kit. What else did you order?

I'm looking forward to read your comments on how easy / difficult this oil pan replacement is.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
Will that anti-friction additive void your warranty?

athos56

Ready to race!
Sweeeeet!

It seems you purchased the metal oil pan kit. What else did you order?

I'm looking forward to read your comments on how easy / difficult this oil pan replacement is.

The oil pan kit from ECS, came with the bolts and silicone. A magnetic drain plug, Leyo Filter housing and filter socket, Filter, Liqui Moly 0W-40 and the MOS2 anti-friction. I also ordered the jack pad kit from E-Acca.com. As for tools, I've been picking up socket sets and different sized ratchets, some triple square/hex and torx bits, hose clamp pliers, floor jack and jack stands... It's been an expensive couple months...

On deck I have some paddle shifters, Skid pad and underbody panels. I also want to get the tools necessary to fit the rock guards, it seems they need rivets.

Over the winter I'm thinking buying a wheel a month, something light... IDK what yet.

I plan on taking pictures, maybe a short video and a post about the install, stay tuned and thanks for watching!

athos56

Ready to race!
Will that anti-friction additive void your warranty?

Honestly, I wanted to reduce engine wear and thought why not, it had great reviews and I haven't found any "danger" post about it yet... Yeah know, it could be snake oil, we'll see. I'm not taking this stuff to seriously, having fun, I'll enjoy taking my car in for a service and seeing their reaction to all my mods. Thanks for reading my posts.

Renck

Ready to race!
The oil pan kit from ECS, came with the bolts and silicone. A magnetic drain plug, Leyo Filter housing and filter socket, Filter, Liqui Moly 0W-40 and the MOS2 anti-friction. I also ordered the jack pad kit from E-Acca.com. As for tools, I've been picking up socket sets and different sized ratchets, some triple square/hex and torx bits, hose clamp pliers, floor jack and jack stands... It's been an expensive couple months...

On deck I have some paddle shifters, Skid pad and underbody panels. I also want to get the tools necessary to fit the rock guards, it seems they need rivets.

Over the winter I'm thinking buying a wheel a month, something light... IDK what yet.

I plan on taking pictures, maybe a short video and a post about the install, stay tuned and thanks for watching!

Cool...........nice game plan.

I'm for sure looking forward for pics and video would be killer. I just did a 10K service, but I'm might take care of the next service at home and while at that at least have the oil pan replaced. What are those underbody panels you are planning on buying?

athos56

Ready to race!
Cool...........nice game plan.

I'm for sure looking forward for pics and video would be killer. I just did a 10K service, but I'm might take care of the next service at home and while at that at least have the oil pan replaced. What are those underbody panels you are planning on buying?
Check out http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532 I plan on the larger skid plate that goes all the way to the subframe as well as the panel that covers a good chunk of the exhaust tunnel. There are some other rock guards listed on the thread as well. I dodge rocks weekly, sometimes daily.