GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Most annoying thing about your GTI

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Number one "gripe" is the tiny gas tank. Long trips with my '17 Sport GTI require multiple gas stops even while getting 34+mpg. Give us 2-3 more gallons and I'd be singing up for the next gen GTI tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said!

I came from a mk6 Golf TDI. That car's tank would take about 13 gallons when the first "click" of the pump. I always would fill it to the brim though which would be about a gallon more. I was able to do that because it didn't have a charcoal canister.

The GTI has been a one two punch. I had 38mpg in the TDI and a 15 gallon tank if I let it go all the way to 0 on the range meter. Do the math, I got 600 mile tanks just trying a little bit. Shoot 44mpg was easy on highway trips keeping up with traffic.

The most I can get in the tank of the GTI is ~11-12 gallons (2 clicks of the gas nozzle). I won't fill this tank to the brim as it can damage the charcoal canister / gas tank emissions controls.

I'm still averaging just shy of 30mpg out of the GTI on my daily commute. So it's not all bad news :)

Festivus1

Passed Driver's Ed
The last several days I have been able to use the sunroof more (nice and warm), and every time I open it I look at the flimsy strip of panty-hose-like fabric that is attached to the forward part of the frame that pops up, and I wonder how long it will be until the wind peels it loose and it flaps around in the breeze.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Well said!

I came from a mk6 Golf TDI. That car's tank would take about 13 gallons when the first "click" of the pump. I always would fill it to the brim though which would be about a gallon more. I was able to do that because it didn't have a charcoal canister.

The GTI has been a one two punch. I had 38mpg in the TDI and a 15 gallon tank if I let it go all the way to 0 on the range meter. Do the math, I got 600 mile tanks just trying a little bit. Shoot 44mpg was easy on highway trips keeping up with traffic.

The most I can get in the tank of the GTI is ~11-12 gallons (2 clicks of the gas nozzle). I won't fill this tank to the brim as it can damage the charcoal canister / gas tank emissions controls.

I'm still averaging just shy of 30mpg out of the GTI on my daily commute. So it's not all bad news :)

Speaking of TDI's, one of the three that I owned was a '96 Passat TDI wagon with a 25 gallon tank (yes, that's what they came with from the factory). I typically fueled up after 1,100 miles or so on the tank. My best ever tank was 1,442.5 miles (filled with 24.333 gallons, achieving 59.28 mpg). That's the only car I've ever owned where I could drive from New York to Los Angeles with just one fuel stop in Oklahoma.

Zacr811

Ready to race!
The DSG prior to a tune while driving in D. I don't need to be in 6th gear at 1600rpm doing 30km/h thanks.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
The DSG prior to a tune while driving in D. I don't need to be in 6th gear at 1600rpm doing 30km/h thanks.

Hahah yeah. Only DSG I've owned was a 2012 Passat TDI. Got dang thing would be in the highest gear when I was following a school bus. No more DSG's for this guy.

mkygod

Ready to race!
Pop message on my screen that say a car is going the wrong way on the highway, on a highway that is no where near my location. Pop up stays there until i manually press the cancel button on my screen. Doesn't happen often (maybe once a week), but its annoying when it does. Not sure if its related to my Nav; over a year of ownership and still can't find a way to turn it off.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
The foot well and console that I have to rest my right leg against to find comfortable position to operate the gas pedal. On longer drives the seam on my jeans is always resting/pushing on my leg. It gets sore in that same spot after about an hour. Germans...

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
The Pedals on the 6MT are no bueno.

The brake and gas pedals are too far apart for proper heel and toe, especially surprising for THE hot hatch. I also feel the clutch is too far right, and that's it's more aligned with the center of the steering wheel and I have to angle my foot to use the clutch.

I did order some SRP pedals, so we'll see if it's any help.

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
yeah

I am with you there. I don't like the way the motor sounds at relatively slow speeds when in "D" (sounds like the engine is "lugging") so I find myself hitting the left paddle to go to 5 or even 4 to bring the revs up a little.

Zacr811

Ready to race!
I am with you there. I don't like the way the motor sounds at relatively slow speeds when in "D" (sounds like the engine is "lugging") so I find myself hitting the left paddle to go to 5 or even 4 to bring the revs up a little.
Get a tune. Makes all the bad go away.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Get a tune. Makes all the bad go away.

Can you comment more on the advantages of a DSG tune and perhaps your experience with whatever vendor you went with?

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Countless rattles... like the one that happens if you close a door with the window rolled down. Good god.
On all prior VWs I have ever worked on or owned, that meant the window was out of the track or about to fall out. Not on a Mk7 though!!! Lol. My driver side door even rose a passenger to go "What was that clunk?"

Sounds a bit cheap honestly.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Well, first it was the lack of fog lights, but rolling into spring and being we had a light winter, I eventually looked past that.

Has to be the window clunk when you close a door and the window is down. Sounds bad.

slide13

Ready to race!
The 8" crack in my windshield after only 3 weeks/800 miles. Wasn't hit by a big rock or anything, maybe a tiny little pebble at most, sounded like nothing more than sand. Grrr!