GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Even worth complaining to VWOA?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Thus far, the VW rep has been great. He told me they are trying to negotiate a way for the dealership to just pay another in the area that I want to deal with and have me take it there to get the fog lights in (covered under warranty with the new dealership), as I expressed that I do not want my car serviced at the original dealership and will only take it for the fog lights if there is no way around it.

I had to do this with my regional rep when I had a defective windshield(non-removable marks on the glass) on my 2016 Golf, that was made worse by a local dealership, Sunnyvale, VW (NEVER GO THERE IF YOU LIVE IN THE BAY AREA), tried to repair it by "scraping & polishing it with steel wool and razor blades" (literally what they said to me) which only put millions of micro-abraisions on it.

At first I was made to go back to Sunnyvale VW in order to get a windshield replacement because they caused the issue I was told they had to made it right. It turned out that they botched it and caused damage to the car. They also lied verbally, in writing in the service documentation, and in writing via email, repeatedly throughout the process.

I kept a detailed log of every conversation and just documented the shit out of everything because it was all so unreal. On pickup after the replacement, when I saw they damaged the car while replacing the windshield, I went right inside and to the service director's office and told him to come outside because we needed to talk about damage to my car and that I was going to record everything. I caught him in 2 more lies, on tape. I sent that recording to my VWOA rep and then I was finally sent to another local dealership who re-did the windshield repair and fixed the other damage caused by the first dealer.

VWOA didn't do shit for me otherwise though, especially considering how long this went on for (2+ months) of back and forth. Plus another incident of dealer sales people repeatedly lying to me, again in writing, I had buying my current car. Consider yourself lucky to get that gift card!

I keep coming back. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I tracked down the home address of the head of VWoA out in the Detroit area (thank you, internet!), and sent him a registered letter asking for somebody to get my car running again. I received a rather terse response, pretty much saying "we're sorry about your situation, but don't contact me at home again." Two days later the dealership called me telling me that my car was ready to go. I can't be sure that my letter actually made things happen, but then again. . . Just sayin.

LOL that is awesome!

VWOA didn't do shit for me otherwise though, especially considering how long this went on for (2+ months) of back and forth. Plus another incident of dealer sales people repeatedly lying to me, again in writing, I had buying my current car. Consider yourself lucky to get that gift card!

I keep coming back. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

Damn, that sucks. I am honestly not considering it a victory until the damn fog lights are physically on my car and I'm done with this crap. I like what I heard from the regional rep yesterday but, until everything they promised gets done, its still only empty words.

After missing the GM's initial call yesterday and leaving him a message after calling him back, still haven't heard back from him. Its only been a day so I'll keep calm but we'll see. I just don't get how hard it is to call someone back the same day no matter how busy you are. It literally takes a few minutes. Plus he emphasized that he would be in his office all day and was waiting for my call. Sure...

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Update: Found the paper I was talking about. It IS an official "We Owe", printed on an official form SA-1506, and it lists several things we agreed on including the LED fog lights installed, no bumper holes, AND a specific note that the car is to be factory ordered!

Now, like I said, I let the factory order thing go but this paper alone proves everything I'm saying to be true. All with the manager's signature on the bottom.

It actually includes more things like applying a previous GTI $1000 rebate when the car arrives, which they did honor.

Glad that's settled, I'll bring this up with the VW rep tomorrow and hopefully get these in within the week and be done with that place for good.
You sir are getting fog lights. The "we owe" is all you need. The sales manager or service manager should've signed it, thus committing. Man, you're lucky, I was an employee and had to pull teeth for new wiper blades :p Haha.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
You sir are getting fog lights. The "we owe" is all you need. The sales manager or service manager should've signed it, thus committing. Man, you're lucky, I was an employee and had to pull teeth for new wiper blades :p Haha.

Haha the vibe I got was that this deal, and other similar mess ups, contributed to the first salesman/manager getting the ax. Still, sorry, I know I'm a more picky customer than they're use to and requested a couple things that they don't hear everyday but it isn't my problem that they signed off on it just to get the deal through. I can take "NO", I can't take lies and getting brushed off.

New update: GM called me back today at work and presented what he heard from his end, which basically was that I was told "no" on the fogs and have been a pain from day 1. I went through one grievance at a time and, by the end of it, he seemed eager to get the ball rolling and be done with me. You can't really talk your way out of a signed document, right? To his credit, he was the most professional guy I've talked to coming from that place, wish it was him I dealt with from the start as I'm sure it would have never come down to this.

He did mention how he was shocked that this was even included in the deal, along with the no holes (as its a pain to get the guys at the port not to drill them?), but how he is obligated to honor it. He even asked me if I knew any installer that I would like to do this with and how he would just cover the bill/honor the 3 year warranty through them? Thought that was kind of strange, guess he wasn't bluffing when he said they don't normally do aftermarket stuff under warranty. Oh well.

I told him I didn't really know a reputable place and would prefer they just take care of it, as long as the fogs are LED and made specifically for the MK7. He said fine and he would get back to me tomorrow.

If anyone knows a good place to get these installed in MA, let me know and I can just take it myself. If not, I guess I'll leave it to them.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Update:

I spoke to the GM on the 9th who assured me he would take care of everything. He said he would call me the next day to schedule an appointment. Well, over a week went by so I called him on the 17th. He did return my call and said he ordered the lights and would have his tech install them himself since they are OEM parts, just forgot to call me. Whatever....still, I thought VW techs couldn't install them any other way than instructed by the factory? Strange but as long as they go in right and are covered under warranty, I could care less.

He promised to call me this past Monday so we can schedule a time to do the install. Its now Wednesday and....ya, I'm sure you can guess the rest.

Tbh, the clutch issues had me more worried and consumed my time these past 2 weeks so I took a break from being pissed at these guys for the whole fog light thing. Now that I have my car back and have seen how an actual competent VW dealership runs, the grace period has ended...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Curious, what was the actual wording on your sales contract? If all it said was "install fog lights" the dealer can install any fog lights. I think the dealer can butcher your existing bumper to make them fit and you have no recourse.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Curious, what was the actual wording on your sales contract? If all it said was "install fog lights" the dealer can install any fog lights. I think the dealer can butcher your existing bumper to make them fit and you have no recourse.

I believe it just says "fog lights" but I told them OEM LEDs that fit perfectly in the fog light housings. The GM last week told me he ordered/was waiting to receive OEM fogs to put on the car as his own dealership would be doing the install. I don't think a VW service location can install anything other than factory OEM parts regardless of how they install them. He told me they usually give aftermarket jobs to independent shops but found it more cost effective to do it themselves with the OEM fogs....I don't really care either way as long as they are LED, look factory, and function as they should.

Wording may not be super specific which is why they may have gotten away with aftermarket fogs but no way they can butcher a brand new bumper to add some cheap Chinese shit that doesn't fit right. I wouldn't accept the car back like that and am sure a judge would find it unreasonable on their end in court. Why would a customer agree to butcher their brand new car? I made it clear that I won't take the car back if its not done right.

Look, I realize this ticky tack shit is the last thing a GM wants to be worrying about on a weekday. Still, in his words, the guys that should have taken care of this dropped the ball so its the only reason he's involved. I realize he's busy but I'm not being unreasonable in wanting this taken care of ASAP after 6+ weeks of waiting around...

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Glad the GM is taking care of it. I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. As he said, his team dropped the ball and now it's in his hands.

What I don't get is people's lack of time management and prioritizing.

I might have a scheduled visit from my boss's boss and it might go on my calendar or not. But if I promise a customer a callback on Monday. As soon as I get off the phone, that's going on my phone calendar with a reminder. Even if there is no progress, it's a courtesy call saying as much. There's nothing more upsetting than feeling ignored or slighted.

In the current retail market, the only thing that brick and mortar have to offer is awesome customer support. If they don't have that, then they have nothing. Cars are different since you can't buy online, but more and more people are shopping outside their region.

Anyway, good luck and hopefully he doesn't butcher your car.

AKF427

Ready to race!
-=You have the original Bill of Sale w/ the fog lights on it.
-=I'm assuming your phone history shows when you called the Dealership, and when they called you back. If you have any email exchanges print them out.
-=Go to the Dealership, and sit at the desk/cubicle for the Salesperson who sold you the car. If they ask you to move, take a seat in front of the Sales Manager.
-=Be soft spoken and fantastically polite. Tell them what you want. It gets done now/today. Your Tech's drop everything.
-=Refuse to leave under any circumstances then the one's you dictated & the car/install must be immaculate.
-=They ask you to leave. You tell them 2 options exist. Do what you've demanded, or call the Police to have you trespassed. They say "fine" we'll call the Police. Be a quick-draw and call them yourself to come immediately because your being intimidated, and you've paid for services to be renedered weeks ago.
-=When Police come---and no Dealership wants Police in the showroom---they will have a problem. 1) Your not causing a disturbance, the Dealership has caused the disturbance by refusing to render services & goods you paid for & that's the dispute. 2) You can't rightfully be trespassed without being made "whole"--they pay you a cash refund. 3) Thereafter, you're fine with being trespassed from the Dealership. 4) If the Police just want you "out", request a Supervisor---you possess proof that the Dealership has not performed services promised, stalled for six weeks, and have your money...it's right on the bill of sale. 5) Basically, they're in a pickle---at this point it is theft on the part of the Dealership, how exactly are you made "whole" if your trespassed? Simply tell them, you have no problem with the Dealership performing the work to exacting specifications, you'll go across the street and have a cup of hot cocoa, then return to collect your car. As long as you remain cool, calm, collected & don't cause any disturbance & possess all the proof that money was exchanged for goods and services, followed by the Dealership providing bogus promises and dates, etc. The Police will have to come that the only logical resolution is for the dealership to perform the work at that very moment and for you to "be gone" thereafter. They want to trespass you and chuck you out the door---then they must give you your money back at that moment considering all of the burden of proof your going to provide that you acted in good faith. Lastly---take a couple of photos of the front bumper before, and then inspect it thoroughly after the install. Again be kind and courteous, but totally firm. Lastly, if your trespassed and get no result....go to the Police Station, get everybody's name (actually do that in the beginning without asking them, just jot down badge numbers and names)....and report a theft while at the Police Station naming the Dealership. Speak softly but carry a huge stick!!!

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Update: First, AKF, I appreciate your approach lol seems as though we have similar expectations. Nothing upsets me more than when one side isn't honoring their part of the agreement. I opted for the calm approach but can't tell you how close I've come to taking matters further with this dealership.

With that said, to be fair, the GM has been easy to work with. Returns my calls promptly and has been on top of it since VW intervened. So.....finally dropped it off today. Spoke with the shop foreman who will be doing the job himself. Here is where I'd appreciate some insight.

He told me that they opted to order an OEM kit and he will attempt to run them through the BCM via relays. He said this will allow them to just install the factory switch off an S/SE and it will be as if the car came with the fogs from the factory. I'm not very technically savvy but I expressed my concern about him messing up the wiring and he told me the wiring isn't what worries him but whether the car will "accept that it has foglights".

So, hus plan is to try to wire it as close to OEM as he can and only call me for other options if that doesn't work. What do you guys think? Is it just a matter of wiring/coding or is this a bigger deal than he's making it seem? He said he's contacted other VW "experts" and most told him it won't work but he's not buying it...

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
They seem serious on fulfilling their obligation, finally. That's a win. If they muck up the wiring, they fix it on their nickel, but your time. I'd think the lights will either work, or not, from the getgo, meaning if they work, they won't mysteriously stop working down the road, unlike a mechanical part. If they don't work, you get a refund? Consider the aftermarket? I dunno, your call. Maybe others with more wiring experience can help here.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I like this dealer and GM very much :) They are going above and beyond to provide you the exact product you desire, while still focusing on maintaining OE configuration.

Kudos to them.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I like this dealer and GM very much :) They are going above and beyond to provide you the exact product you desire, while still focusing on maintaining OE configuration.

Kudos to them.

I wouldn't go that far....words are nice but actions are all that really matter to me.

Speaking of which, I dropped the car of early Wednesday morning. They said they would try to get it done Wednesday but, at the very least, they said they'll update me Thursday afternoon if its still not done.

Well, several unreturned calls later, it is now Friday night and I am without my car. I don't even know if they've started yet. I just managed to get a hold of someone in the service department and they said they have no way of knowing what's up with my car, I just have to try tomorrow. If it wasn't for my late work schedule, I'd be there in person demanding answers today.

I just left the GM a message on my way from work. To say this place is ridiculous is an understatement at this point, VW should just shut them down. The struggle continues tomorrow, may the force be with me.....

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't go that far....words are nice but actions are all that really matter to me.

Speaking of which, I dropped the car of early Wednesday morning. They said they would try to get it done Wednesday but, at the very least, they said they'll update me Thursday afternoon if its still not done.

Well, several unreturned calls later, it is now Friday night and I am without my car. I don't even know if they've started yet. I just managed to get a hold of someone in the service department and they said they have no way of knowing what's up with my car, I just have to try tomorrow. If it wasn't for my late work schedule, I'd be there in person demanding answers today.

I just left the GM a message on my way from work. To say this place is ridiculous is an understatement at this point, VW should just shut them down. The struggle continues tomorrow, may the force be with me.....
Very true. Words are nice, but blowing smoke up someones ass is not... :( Man, you have more patience then myself. I would've committed a felony by now lol.

I was a tech and I couldn't imagine blowing a customer off, even grouchy ones. You on the other hand are a reasonable human being, and for a GM to ignore...bad business doesn't quite cover it.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Very true. Words are nice, but blowing smoke up someones ass is not... :( Man, you have more patience then myself. I would've committed a felony by now lol.

I was a tech and I couldn't imagine blowing a customer off, even grouchy ones. You on the other hand are a reasonable human being, and for a GM to ignore...bad business doesn't quite cover it.

Exactly. Wish I dealt with someone like you from the start, someone who actually takes pride in their work and doesn't jerk people around.

I dropped the car off last Wednesday morning and was told it was a 1 day job, 2 at the most if they couldn't get the OEM setup to work. Called Thursday, was told they'd call me back, no reply. Same story Friday. They wouldn't even pick up the phone Saturday so I had enough, left work early, and went to see them in person.

I don't like talking down to anyone, especially when they are 2+ times my age, but my respect/patience meter has run out. To make a long story short, they got the point. I could give af, I'm done being nice and patient. Coincidentally, the sales manager called me Monday morning with an update without me even calling him first! Who knew, a phone call is that easy to make???

Anyways, they told me the initial OEM install attempt did not work as the car did not recognize the fog lights. They are now going to try to install the euro switch, wire them up, and see if it works. Don't know how that would make a difference (?) but at least they're trying shit. Part should be in today and I should have an update by tomorrow, a week since I dropped the car off...

These were not worth the hassle, I should have just negotiated some kind of money back and been on my way, I'm sure they would have given me back a little something to avoid this mess. You live and you learn I guess.