GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI - PP, DSG, DCC, or not?

Detch

Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum, I hope I picked the right section for this thread.

So - I'm planning to get the new Golf GTI.
My wallet wants one in manual, without the Performance Pack and without the active dumpers.
My heart exactly the opposite.

My question is - how much of a difference this things make?

• DSG/Manual
    So I'm currently driving the third generation Seat Leon FR 122BHP in manual. Aaaand I hate this stick. I don't mind driving the stick itself - even though I'm driving in traffic for most of my time. But this implementation is horrible. The shifts aren't satisfying, and I have the feeling that there is like a gearing mismatch or something. For example shifting to first quickly isn't an option. Great with start/stop and waiting for the green light, isn't it?

I've driven the latest DSG GTI, DSG Ibiza Cupra and DSG Leon Cupra - and they were fine. However the feeling of not controlling which gear I'm on is weird. And when I was upshifting I was releasing the gas pedal - which confused the car. But it's probably the matter of getting used to things.
    I'm still looking for a manual GTI to drive - dealers mostly get the DSG :/

• PP or not
    I don't care for the additional HP. What I care for is the 'magical' differential. Is it really that good? From the reviews I got that it helps a lot with cornering. What about normal, straight line acceleration? Especially in less than ideal conditions? Will that help me in any way to gain speed faster without the tragic wheel spin?
    And also - is there something more for the performance pack? Horsepower increase, diff, breaks - am I forgetting something? I've heard something about this 'sprint mode' or whatever you want to call it, where the car for a short period of time gets power increase. Or the review I've watched was wrong?
    (Maybe I should just get Golf R ;) )

• Active dumpers or not
    Well - this and the DSG gives the real purpose for switching the driving modes. On comfort - the car is softer and on sport everything is terrible :D

I've heard that this option is a total must-have. Especially on polish roads (where I'm from). I've driven the GTI with this option, yet I don't remember it being a game changer. What is your opinion guys?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
No one can answer these questions for you.

Personally I took off a day of work and had the dealer line up 5 different combinations of GTI. He was a good sales guy, he lined them all up in a row for my 3 hours of solo test drives I had planned.

<---- I ended up picking the car list to the side.

I thought the DCC was a no brainier for $800 but that was in 2016 so I doubt I would have made that decision in 2017 MY since it's locked to Autobahn only. On a side note the standard GTI seems to pogo and the suspension seems more upset in a non-DCC car. So I probably would have went Golf R.

I personally could tell a difference with the PP. My test drive consisted of a wide open hill country road with loads of bends and turns. I could feel the diff working. Applying power coming out of corners without the diff resulted in lots of understeer. With the diff it just pulls you around the corner on gas. Your mind anticipates where the car should go and the LSD makes it happen. The brakes are also the major selling point. Besides the obvious stopping power benefits they look great behind the wheels. On the standard brakes even 18" wheels make the rotors appear tiny.

On the DSG I test drive one because of opening up the possibility for my wife to drive my car. To give you some background I am a big fan of the technology of the DSG. I was one of the first early adopters buying a DSG MK5 GTI 2 weeks after they hit the showrooms in Feb 2006. However I quickly got bored as I can from manual cars before. I captured this in a thread lamenting my purchase (Thread: Bored with my DSG)back in 2006. Long story short I traded the car with a board member who needed knee surgery for a manual vehicle 9 mos later.

So on the DSG I was pretty hesitant. I started off and within a few minutes I cut my 30-45 drive loop short and brought it back immediately. Oh the droning... 30-35mph on surface streets the car wants to go to 6th. NO! Like I said it wouldn't be hard to convince me not to buy the DSG. Plus I am 40 and I am able bodied, the clutch is so easy to work even in the horrible stop and go traffic of Austin. I rarely even notice shifting in traffic, the effort is almost 0. One day when I have a bad back or bad knee I don't think I will regret driving manual when I had the chance.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum, I hope I picked the right section for this thread.

So - I'm planning to get the new Golf GTI.
My wallet wants one in manual, without the Performance Pack and without the active dumpers.
My heart exactly the opposite.

My question is - how much of a difference this things make?

• DSG/Manual
    So I'm currently driving the third generation Seat Leon FR 122BHP in manual. Aaaand I hate this stick. I don't mind driving the stick itself - even though I'm driving in traffic for most of my time. But this implementation is horrible. The shifts aren't satisfying, and I have the feeling that there is like a gearing mismatch or something. For example shifting to first quickly isn't an option. Great with start/stop and waiting for the green light, isn't it?

I've driven the latest DSG GTI, DSG Ibiza Cupra and DSG Leon Cupra - and they were fine. However the feeling of not controlling which gear I'm on is weird. And when I was upshifting I was releasing the gas pedal - which confused the car. But it's probably the matter of getting used to things.
    I'm still looking for a manual GTI to drive - dealers mostly get the DSG :/

• PP or not
    I don't care for the additional HP. What I care for is the 'magical' differential. Is it really that good? From the reviews I got that it helps a lot with cornering. What about normal, straight line acceleration? Especially in less than ideal conditions? Will that help me in any way to gain speed faster without the tragic wheel spin?
    And also - is there something more for the performance pack? Horsepower increase, diff, breaks - am I forgetting something? I've heard something about this 'sprint mode' or whatever you want to call it, where the car for a short period of time gets power increase. Or the review I've watched was wrong?
    (Maybe I should just get Golf R ;) )

• Active dumpers or not
    Well - this and the DSG gives the real purpose for switching the driving modes. On comfort - the car is softer and on sport everything is terrible :D

I've heard that this option is a total must-have. Especially on polish roads (where I'm from). I've driven the GTI with this option, yet I don't remember it being a game changer. What is your opinion guys?

I'd get the DSG. You can mostly manually shift it if you really want to, and don't need to worry about over-revving the engine. There's a button under the gas pedal, and when completely floor it, the DSG will automatically select the lowest possible gear faster than you can with a manual transmission. And even switching from a torque converter transmission to a DSG takes getting used to. You'll love it in traffic.

I understand the PP's "LSD" helps with cornering to some extent but no one I ever asked said it helps in a straight line. The bigger brakes alone are worth it, IMO. They're the same as on the Golf R. I think you were watching a video for a different car - I never heard of an over-boost mode on any GTI.

The DCC's comfort mode does make a big difference on other than smooth roads. And you can do what I do - set the steering and suspension to Comfort and everything else to Sport. Some people say setting the suspension to Comfort even helps handling better than Sport.

If you can afford it, just get a DSG R. No more worries about power, traction, braking or comfort, because it's all standard, at least here in the U.S.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
How old are you?
I ask this because if under 25, then you might be able to live without the DCC option.
If over 25, the DCC makes for a smooth ride when you need it.
DSG is great. I drove a manual until I was 35. I hope I can have a DSG in all cars I own in the future.
The PP brakes are solid and the LSD is helpful on good roads and wet and snow.
If you have bad weather, the AWD is always the first option but the LSD makes for a useful winter car.

For more info read thru my build thread. Much to read but I give more details on each item if you want more feedback.

Bottom line, do not over spend the budget. The car will be more enjoyable without a heavy monthly payment. Buy with your head not the heart. Or save up more and buy with heart.

If questions after you read thru, please ask.

The GTI Clubsport has an 'overboost' function, raising power and torque
for a 10 s period from 265 HP to 290 HP (and torque from 350 to 380 Nm
perhaps).
Actually Borg-Warner say their FXD diff (= VAQ) does improve straightline
acceleration as well:

DSG/Manual

• So I'm currently driving the third generation Seat Leon FR 122BHP in manual. Aaaand I hate this stick. I don't mind driving the stick itself - even though I'm driving in traffic for most of my time. But this implementation is horrible. The shifts aren't satisfying, and I have the feeling that there is like a gearing mismatch or something. For example shifting to first quickly isn't an option. Great with start/stop and waiting for the green light, isn't it?

I'm still looking for a manual GTI to drive - dealers mostly get the DSG
You will get used to it. Seems you've driven an automatic for the very first time.
However, since you're in Poland, the facelift-version GTI Performance will have the new 7-speed DSG,
which comes with a slightly better gearing than the older 6-speed. This doesn't transform the way
DSG vs manual cars feel though.
Noone else will be able to point you in a certain direction. DSG vs manual is a matter of persional taste.

• PP or not
VAQ is great. It's great if you love driving spiritedly on winding country roads.
It's also a bit of help on snow and in 'some' emergency situations, but you
will notice no difference in daily driving. There's also 'some' minor advantage
on straightline acceleration, but road conditions, tires and your driving abilities
matter much more.

PP means:

- VAQ diff
- bigger brakes (340 mm + 310 mm)
- 245 HP + 370 Nm instead of 230 HP + 350 Nm
- red GTI badges
- 7-speed DSG
- AID ('active info display') on most European markets
- Composition Media radio on some European markets
- auto dimm mirror, rain sensor etc. on some European markets

Check details for Poland. You'll know this better than anyone else after
you visited Volkswagen.pl .

• Active dumpers or not

Dampers please. For me, DCC is a must-have item, others will see it differently.
Bear in mind DCC is fully adaptive. It doesn't come with three fixed settings
(sport, normal, comfort). It permanently changes the damping depending on
speed, acceleration, body level and other things in milliseconds. DCC is able
to stiffen a damper even in comfort mode if necessary even way more than it
commonly uses to be in sport mode most of the time. It's alway right to the
actual needs.

;)

Last edited:

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
1. DSG/6MT- This one is purely subjective. You need to test drive both and make that decision. The 6MT is cheaper, but some people prefer the DSG. Take a test drive in both and make the choice from there.

2. PP or Not- Do you track the car? Get the PP. Hands down. If the car doesn't see the track, I honestly do not think it's worth it. Dynamically both cars handle the same, the difference being stopping power and being able to put more power down earlier on corner exit due to the LSD. While these are useful on track, on the street the normal driver will rarely if ever take advantage of these things. In addition, (once I find the link, I will link it) I remember a magazines review of both the PP GTI and non-PP GTI being within like .2 seconds of each other on-track. I'm sorry, but that is not enough difference to feel on the street. As mentioned; however, the facelifted GTI does come with the 7-speed DSG if you get the PP, so that must be considered also.

3. DCC- Great option unless you plan on messing with the suspension (switching springs, dampers, coilovers etc.)

Wedge_Antilles

Passed Driver's Ed
Another Austinite here, I ended up going DSG, PP, DCC.

DSG - Love the technology, this one is all personal preference. I really wanted the DSG and don't regret it.

PP - Bigger brakes, VAQ diff, no regrets. The diff has been great on slick roads (seems like any rain whatsoever and our roads turn to glass).

DCC - Again, love the tech. Eases up the ride on the HWY quite a bit, but let's me throw it into sport for some hill country fun.

drshaws

Not often mentioned but keep in mind DCC not only helps ride comfort it has a big impact on body roll. The difference between comfort and sport is very noticeable. Going into curvy high speed turns I drop to sport. Gives more confidence thru the turn.

I'd agree with this. Approaching 40, and the craptacular roads here in MA make me appreciate DCC Comfort mode in daily driving conditions.

I've got the '16 SE 6MT/PP/LP/DCC combo and love it. Glad I got it before '17, too. (see other comments on DCC being Autobahn only in '17). I enjoy the occasional spirited bit of driving, but have no ambitions to start modding the suspension on this vehicle.