GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine bay cleaning after hose rupture

yaz6767

I recently had a radiator hose rupture which sent all the coolant everywhere in my engine bay. What a mess! can someone give me a step by step cleaning solution to remedy this mess? Thanks!

Miguel1

Ready to race!
I recently had a radiator hose rupture which sent all the coolant everywhere in my engine bay. What a mess! can someone give me a step by step cleaning solution to remedy this mess? Thanks!

I power washed mine at the local car wash first when I wanted to clean it. I avoided the alternator and intake as much as I could but still got them soaked. Soap wasn't needed so I dried with some towels. Car started up right after.

I would recommend using whatever soap you use for your paint in the engine bay. A brush would help agitating coolant from surfaces.

I didn't have a radiator hose rupture (thank god) but my engine bay was pretty dirty with dirt and debris.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
You're much safer just using a hose at home and lower water pressure. The power washer is more likely to force water into electrical connections where it doesn't belong. You aren't removing decades of built up grease, just coolant residue. I would also use an all purpose cleaner diluted 3-5:1(depending on mfr) and some scrub brushes to get into the various sized nooks and crannies.

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
Buy some Meguiars Super Degreaser D108, spray all over the engine bay. Lightly agitate. Hose off. Then finish off with some Meguiars D170 Hyper Dressing.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Low water pressure, cover the generator and avoid the area around the coil packs, and the relay box/ECM also. Love acidity APC should do you just fine. Meguier's APC diluted, CG Citrus, Optimum Power Clean, all good.