GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Just a leak. Plus only thing lacking according to george is injectors the rest will do fine

Do we know if we can just put the gti injectors on our engines and the ecu will be fine with them? Will it be that simple as just popping in the new ones?

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Injector part numbers for reference:
Golf 1.8 = 06L906036J
GTI 2.0 = 06L906036K
R 2.0 = 06L906036L

Still looking for size info (cc\min)

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
We also have a different HPFP. Will that be an issue?
Gti fuel pump - 06L-127-025-P
Golf fuel pump - 06A-127-026-B
Golf R fuel pump - 06L-127-027-A or 06L-127-025-P for model year '15. Same as gti.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
We also have a different HPFP. Will that be an issue?
Gti fuel pump - 06L-127-025-P
Golf fuel pump - 06A-127-026-B
Golf R fuel pump - 06L-127-027-A or 06L-127-025-P for model year '15. Same as gti.

Interesting. I'm sure it gives us another ceiling that many of us didn't know about:(. On the Mazdaspeed platform, we could upgrade our HPFP internals (larger piston/cylinder to push more fuel). I remember buying my internals from KMD Tuning...they were VW pump internals LOL. The pumps, and even just the internals, were expensive due to the tolerances required during manufacturing to avoid failure. Our VW pump prices don't look too bad though.

The good news is that Meltedsolid didn't upgrade his pump, so I wouldn't think it would be necessary to fuel an IS20 upgrade with a reasonable max boost pressure (~20 PSI). An IS20 @20 PSI vs IS12 @18 PSI will be a nice difference in flow. The IS20 will still be well within the sweet spot of the turbo's efficiency whilst the IS12 will be already starting to run out of breath.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Interesting. I'm sure it gives us another ceiling that many of us didn't know about:(. On the Mazdaspeed platform, we could upgrade our HPFP internals (larger piston/cylinder to push more fuel). I remember buying my internals from KMD Tuning...they were VW pump internals LOL. The pumps, and even just the internals, were expensive due to the tolerances required during manufacturing to avoid failure. Our VW pump prices don't look too bad though.

The good news is that Meltedsolid didn't upgrade his pump, so I wouldn't think it would be necessary to fuel an IS20 upgrade with a reasonable max boost pressure (~20 PSI). An IS20 @20 PSI vs IS12 @18 PSI will be a nice difference in flow. The IS20 will still be well within the sweet spot of the turbo's efficiency whilst the IS12 will be already starting to run out of breath.

I think there is still some room with the stock fueling. I'm basing mine off a log in 27 degree weather. I only hit 18psi, but that could easily be over 20psi in 60 degrees. My trims got up high and even hit 50, but that was above 6,000 rpms. At peak boost they stayed in the 40's. My AFR was in the 13.1-14.1 range for most of the log as well. There were a couple of spikes though. I think pushing that much in that cold air is the borde line. My timing still went to 18 degrees at full advance and any corrections were all under 2. The trims and AFR numbers are the only real concern. On previous logs the AFR stayed mostly in the low to mid 13's and my trims would max around 45.

joofcorn

Ready to race!
Just joined the MK7 market by grabbing an Alltrack. I know from having an APR tuned MK6 GTI in the past that sometimes tunes aren't available right away for certain models due to ECU differences. Does that apply to something like the JB4 since its only a piggyback?

SPRTWGNNV

The JB4 is plug and play with lots of user adjustability. I wanted an APR tune when I got my 2017 GSW but no tune was available. Got the JB4 as a interim measure. I am satisfied with what I can get out of the JB4 and won't go with a flash tune now.

The JB4 does require you to plug into the OBD port to fully use the all features (getting the cable through the firewall is the biggest pain of the install). A great unit that you can remove yourself if necessary without a trip to some tuners shop.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Just joined the MK7 market by grabbing an Alltrack. I know from having an APR tuned MK6 GTI in the past that sometimes tunes aren't available right away for certain models due to ECU differences. Does that apply to something like the JB4 since its only a piggyback?

It doesn't apply because the JB4 does not need to get through any ECU security or encryption to work. All it does is intercept signals from the sensors and changes them going into the ECU, which is also why it does not interfere with your powertrain warranty like a tune would.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Sounds like more good news, I guess the question becomes how long until I cave and open up the wallet.

Open it, open it!! Still logging and tweaking. But the JB4 is just about matching what a stage 2 apr tune is doing. Once I have it ironed out I will post a log

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Still fine tuning and it still is looking good. I think I have a little more left in it still. I'm hitting 20psi by 3,400 rpms and peaking at 20.9. Carrying over 20psi all the way to 4,900 rpms. Drops to 18.3 by 5,500 and is at 15psi at 6,000. I shifted at 6,354 and it was at 13.8. My IAT started at 66 and went up to 82 by the end of the run. Timing advanced to 18 degrees and my AFR was between mid 13's to low 14's. Ethanol will make it run a touch leaner than straight 93. Trims are between 48-51 though. Not sure if we will get a fix for this or just have to go new injectors.

joofcorn

Ready to race!
Open it, open it!! Still logging and tweaking. But the JB4 is just about matching what a stage 2 apr tune is doing. Once I have it ironed out I will post a log

I probably will be very soon, may not push to full stage 2 levels just yet since I'm still on the stock downpipe. That may be next summers project, along with an IS20 :D may as well do both of those at the same time.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just curious. There's a post on here about in is38 with ttrs injectors. Dress anyone know if
1) do they work on our cars
2) are they needed at that level
3) any benefit to it
4) any drawbacks

Sure it's all speculation at this point but some of you actually know what you're doing and could provide solid hypotheticals

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Just curious. There's a post on here about in is38 with ttrs injectors. Dress anyone know if
1) do they work on our cars
2) are they needed at that level
3) any benefit to it
4) any drawbacks

Sure it's all speculation at this point but some of you actually know what you're doing and could provide solid hypotheticals

I know that the golf R injectors are plug and play. They have been used with IS38 GTIs. I don't believe our cars will need more than just the GTI injectors. They support the 2.0 up to 375whp and 400+wtq. even if we did go IS38, the transmission would end up being the weaker point than the gti injectors