GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's your worst speeding ticket?

jmal2005

Ready to race!

LOL, worst I got was 86 in a 55... thank god I slowed down significantly before I got gunned. I was in my old 97 Honda Accord Ex-L :p Slowest 4 banger ever

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
My "almost" worst went like this:

I was merging onto a dual highway from a side road. Bubba in his giant diesel American pickup in the right lane (with nobody to his left and nobody else around) decided to speed up to prevent me from merging. I let him by, then slungshot by him on his left. State Trooper was sitting on the shoulder up ahead. I figured I'd get my speeding ticket and be on my way.

No.

I'm looking in the rearview after my license/insurance/registration exchange, and I see him printing off papers and stacking them on his dash. This is not good!

He comes back and gives me the damage: 5 charges. Following too close, failure to signal/improper lane change, speeding, aggressive driving, and due to combination of offenses... a cumulative reckless driving. This all happened in less than five seconds. I'm gifted!

Luckily, I called a relative on the State Police who "made it go away" at the Courthouse clerk's office. Whew! That was going to be a bad one otherwise.

That's a smorgasborg of violations.

I've learned my lesson after getting most of my tickets from venting after some stupid other driver's shenanigans.

You don't happen to have a friend in Texas? :D

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Got a ticket for 105 in a 70 from a state trooper. It was really late at night on a 4 lane (each way) highway with no one on it. Here's how the conversation went...
Cop: Going a bit fast there. Saw 105 on the gun.
Me: Yes Sir, I won't argue. If 105 is what you saw I'll take it.
Cop: So you had time to slow down...
Me: ....maybe.
Cop: Hey, it's a fast car, it's gonna happen. Try not to worry about it. You'll get a ticket and we'll move on.

I was driving this...

Wow, a reasonable cop.
I always get the lecture about speeding and accidents.

Always want to respond with, I drive between 30 & 40k miles per year for the last 20 years, usually at far above the speed limit. My only accident was within 4 months of getting my license.
Also, inattentive driving causes 10 times more accidents than speeding. Unfortunately, inattention cannot be quantified, so usually falls under speeding category. (No source. Pure educated speculation)

Angriff

Passed Driver's Ed
I once was following a friend racing someone else doing at least 100 in a 25mph industrial zone when a transit authority officer got me. He was pissed and was red in the face yelling. Fortunately he gave me a one point $90 fine for driving too fast for road conditions. I paid it and sucked it up lol. Never been caught racing yet I got caught following someone else.

I got ticketed when I was 18 for doing 56 in a 40 at 2am one night. That fine was even higher but it was my first and I received PBJ.

cornercarver

Passed Driver's Ed
Best I've seen was a Cobalt SS with a temporary tag do 105 MPH + (70 MPH posted) on the interstate, as soon as he saw my lights he pulled over. He also presented me with the paperwork from the dealership which was only a few hours old. He received a $161.00 fine and was lucky he didn't contest it.

As a cop I have seen some high speeds and typically have let off with a minimal fine. As I tell my citation friendly co-workers, I didn't sign up to write tickets, I signed up to arrest criminals.

I know people hate to do it but if you are honest with me, you'll get the most reduced traffic fine. As long as your driving history is not terrible.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
My best was when I was stopped while driving my big-block Trans Am by an unmarked police car back in the 70's. I didn't realize he was following me. He was honest, and told me he couldn't keep up with me in his Crown Vic so he couldn't pace me for speeding. This was before they had radar. So he gave me break and only wrote me up for reckless. I said thank you.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
55 in the 25 :) That was expensive.....

I was also clocked once by a Sheriff doing 110 in the 55 last summer. The vehicle behind me was doing 70 in the 55. I beat the guy to my driveway, pulls me over in my driveway. He asks me which vehicle I was, of course I was the one doing 70 ;) I didn't even get a written warning. I think my humor saved me.

"Sir, why are you in such a hurry this evening, I played hell trying to catch up to you."

"No reason officer, just a lead foot."

He must have appreciated honesty or something.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
My best was when I was stopped while driving my big-block Trans Am by an unmarked police car back in the 70's. I didn't realize he was following me. He was honest, and told me he couldn't keep up with me in his Crown Vic so he couldn't pace me for speeding. This was before they had radar. So he gave me break and only wrote me up for reckless. I said thank you.
That is awesome.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Last Thursday, 71 in the 35.... Yay reckless operation, said no one ever.

Visiting a lawyer tomorrow lol. You play, you pay. I'd rather pay a lawyer and only get 2 points though instead of 4 points.

Before that my record ticket was 51 in the 25.

Record clock, 110 in the 55. Didn't even get a warning....love Sheriffs.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!

"Only" wrote you up for Reckless? My story happened in the 70's too (mid 70's) and I got writ for reckless, but that was considered waay worse than speeding in the state I lived in!

Anywho, I was in my Chevelle 396, doing 120+ up a hill (like a gd moron) and near the top of the hill a State Trooper flys over the hill in the oncoming lane and we pass each other at a combined rate of 200+ mph. I figure since he has to slow down and turn, and I'm already on a rocket sled, I will just keep the pedal near the metal, and gap him enough to make a turn I knew was coming, and lose him. Well, my turn was just a bit farther than I thought, and the Trooper got his 428 Galaxie Ford turned around a bit faster than my young-and-dumb self thought. I almost made it, but he cleared that hill just as I had slowed for my turn. I saw him in my rear-view and he hit his lights immediately. I was still 3/4 mile ahead, but it was no use. I wasn't going to kill myself getting even crazier, so I pulled over.

The look on that Trooper's face was worth it. I don't recall being scared, just some dread and like "hmm, wonder how this will go"? He was as pissed as you'd think, and face was like he'd seen a UFO. He just stared at me for about 10 seconds until the muscles in his face relaxed. Then he says, "You tried to run from me?" I knew he hadn't been able to clock me, so I just go "Oh, No Sir!" He says, "You had to have seen me when you passed me back there!" I say, "Well Sir, I didn't realize it was a police car". Anyway, I was far from the city where I lived, and he was a local Trooper based in a small town, so he could've easily taken me to jail, or worse. I had to come back for a court date and pay a big reckless driving fine. All in all, I was lucky. Got more speeding tickets since then, but nothing like that, because I haven't done anything that stupid since then!

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Friday, March 31st 2017. With Pohanka VW in my rearview, and my oil temperature still reading three dashed lines, i got pulled over for speeding in my new-to-me GTI. When he asked for my registration, I didnt even know which one of the 50 papers on my passenger seat was the temporary reg. When I figured it out, and he went back to the car to assess my situation, he came back with a $384 ticket for 70 in a 55, and failure to use my signal when switching lanes. I guess I was just a bit too excited about my new car...

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Friday, March 31st 2017. With Pohanka VW in my rearview, and my oil temperature still reading three dashed lines, i got pulled over for speeding in my new-to-me GTI. When he asked for my registration, I didnt even know which one of the 50 papers on my passenger seat was the temporary reg. When I figured it out, and he went back to the car to assess my situation, he came back with a $384 ticket for 70 in a 55, and failure to use my signal when switching lanes. I guess I was just a bit too excited about my new car...

Damn. Ruthless. Couldn't get a congrats on the new ride. You're probably too excited , so here's a warning and just take ie easy