GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What should I offer for a 2017 Golf TSI S?

Max45

Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice about buying a new Golf S Hatchback
Here's my research and thinking so far:
The model I'm looking at has a MRSP of $21 815 on the VW website.
MRSP's listed at my nearest dealerships are $22 135
Truecar.com has the true market value at $19 484
I've read that with truecar values you should aim for $500-$1000 less.
Meanwhile Edmunds has TMV at $18 800

I contacted my nearest dealer for their "ePrice" and was told $19 975

I won't need financing from the dealer, which I realize is not really a bargaining chip, but I am thinking I would like some kind of service contract if that's a good idea (I'm not done looking into my best servicing options).

I'm not one to want to bargain back and fort. I'd basically like to walk in with my offer on a card with my name and phone number in case they need time to think about it.

What do you guys think I should offer? I'm looking for a good deal but also a number that won't make it too hard for the dealership to say yes. I've seen mention of $5 000 off MRSP here. Could that apply to the model I'm looking at?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:

Royal1

Ready to race!
Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice about buying a new Golf S Hatchback
Here's my research and thinking so far:
The model I'm looking at has a MRSP of $21 815 on the VW website.
MRSP's listed at my nearest dealerships are $22 135
Truecar.com has the true market value at $19 484
I've read that with truecar values you should aim for $500-$1000 less.
Meanwhile Edmunds has TMV at $18 800

I contacted my nearest dealer for their "ePrice" and was told $19 975

I won't need financing from the dealer, which I realize is not really a bargaining chip, but I am thinking I would like some kind of service contract if that's a good idea (I'm not done looking into my best servicing options).

I'm not one to want to bargain back and fort. I'd basically like to walk in with my offer on a card with my name and phone number in case they need time to think about it.

What do you guys think I should offer? I'm looking for a good deal but also a number that won't make it too hard for the dealership to say yes. I've seen mention of $5 000 off MRSP here. Could that apply to the model I'm looking at?

Thanks for any help

Offer what you think is reasonable and want to pay. If the dealer says no, tell them you'll try another dealership. As long as you seem 100% serious, I highly doubt they will let you walk out unless you offer some ridiculously low offer. And if they really let you walk out then, go to a different dealer and try again till one of them accepts. Truecar is a good tool for looking at what other people achieved, so I would try for a little under it, and see if they will meet you underneath that price.

Max45

Thanks for your response Royal. I guess my point is that I know nothing about cars or what they are worth. I therefore do not know what a reasonable offer is. This is why I was hoping to learn from this forum what I should be aiming for. I was hoping that perhaps there were other people who have bought the plain old Golf recently who could share their experience.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
I just bought 2017 VW Golf Wolfsburg in December. I was talking to several dealers via email asking for their best quote. I then used the lowest quote as a negotiating tool with a different dealer to have them beat that price. At the end I ended up at $18,995 + tax.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Max45

Thanks for the input cldlhd and TJN.
18,995 for a Wolfsburg seems like a great deal. This is less than the dealers I've contacted want for the '17 TSI S. I'll keep emailing around. The price I was starting to favor was 18,500 (the low end of the NADA guide price range). Wondering now if I could go lower.

mpuk

Yeah, $18,995 seems really low for a Wolfsburg, especially since inventory is not so great. I was just quoted today $20,500 + taxes and fees for a manual.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Paid $17700 before taxes. And that was literally calling one dealership (my local one) with that price. No idea why that number. I just thought was a fair price based on what I read on here and doing searches. Wasn't the lowest price I've seen for a Golf S, but def not the highest.

He said no, then called me back 5 min later saying yes.
It's been a while though as I bought in April 2016. Not sure if the market has changed much.

Last edited:

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
Note that back in December VW was offering $1000 rebate which is probably why they gave me 18995 for Wolfy as technically it was 19995 for the dealer.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
Looks like inventory has been depleted drastically. Not sure if it has to do with TDIs buybacks or supply has been cut.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
It is a pain , I paid a little under truecar but not much. Maybe I got ripped off but I paid 24k for a 2016 golf SE 4 door with the lighting package.
Wow when you say 24k for a golf we 4 door this is a gti right?

The only reason I ask is I only paid 1500 more for my SE gti last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Max45

MonkeyMD, so it looks like 5k under MRSP has been done. Though maybe 2016 MRSP was lower. I wonder if you were already familiar with the salespeople at your local dealership. I don't think they'd respond like this with me if I just called, as I don't know any salespeople. At least walking in I can look serious, and maybe say it's a cash offer too.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
Wow when you say 24k for a golf we 4 door this is a gti right?

The only reason I ask is I only paid 1500 more for my SE gti last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

No it's a Golf , also has the lighting package and a few extras thrown in . A gti equipped the same would have been about $2500 more. Does your gti have the LP and is it an auto? The SE on the Golf comes standard with an auto but on the gti they charge extra for the dsg I believe.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
MonkeyMD, so it looks like 5k under MRSP has been done. Though maybe 2016 MRSP was lower. I wonder if you were already familiar with the salespeople at your local dealership. I don't think they'd respond like this with me if I just called, as I don't know any salespeople. At least walking in I can look serious, and maybe say it's a cash offer too.

Actually never dealt with them before. That call was the first interaction.

As to cash offer. I would say you're more likely to get a lower price if you finance with them. Generally have good rates anyway.

I know replying to an older post, so hopefully you got your car by now. Any updates?