GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Golf 7 rpm slipping

Nicolas Petrou

Hello everyone! I have a problem with my brand new VW Golf 7 dsg7. At about 9000km I noticed that the rpm is slipping at 3rd and 7th gear. Its like I lose power for 1 sec and then i get it back. I went to the dealer but they do not seem to find anything. All the metrics are ok. Now with 17000km on the clock the problem is getting worse especially when on uphill. Everybody is pointing to the clutches except the dealer that do not see any problem with the DSG. Is anybody else having the same problem? I really need to solve this issue but the dealer is not helping. Please find a video of my car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8_OEdbcO1c&feature=youtu.be

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Something is wrong with your car. Take it to a different dealer and make the Master Tech sit in your passenger seat while you demonstrate the problem.

Nicolas Petrou

I've been to the dealer like 10 times for this particular issue with no luck. All they do is to log some data and metrics and the answer is that the car works perfectly. They do not actually touch any part of it. I do not know what else to do.

Is there any chance that the clutches worn already?

If it's actually slipping it's definitely the multiplate clutches. ;)

Sad to hear that, mate. Lots of issues reported. Do a google search for 'DQ200 DSG problems'.

How many Volkswagen dealers in Cyprus?

Nicolas Petrou

I think there are 4 dealers..different cities. I went to the main one which has the more workload and "experience". The think is, they told me that everything is OK according to the data they logged. They also sent the data to the experts in Germany. I cannot prove them that the problem is the clutches. I am not a mechanic anyway its their job. The car does not work as expected thought. And it wasn't like this before.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I think there are 4 dealers..different cities. I went to the main one which has the more workload and "experience". The think is, they told me that everything is OK according to the data they logged. They also sent the data to the experts in Germany. I cannot prove them that the problem is the clutches. I am not a mechanic anyway its their job. The car does not work as expected thought. And it wasn't like this before.

I don't think clutch slipping even gets logged in the ECU. Definitely go to any of the other dealers and make them go on a drive with you, the data logging isn't going to find you anything.

Sace

This is unfortunately not an unknown problem. I live in Denmark and on one of our VAG communities we have a 40+ pages forum thread going on the same topic.

My own car is a 1.4 TSI DSG7 and it's slipping horribly in 3rd, 5th and 7th gear. The issue is most noticeable when the clutch is cold. I've had the clutch changed at 30kkm and it did not make any difference.

The current status is that VW knows the problem and it's most widespread in Scandinavia because of the cold and wet weather. According to VW the clutch absorbs moisture and that leads to slipping until the clutchpack reaches working temperature (100 degrees).

Until now they have had no solution - I'm still waiting their feedback on what they will do. I've heard that a new clutchpack is coming very soon but I would like to see it happen before I belive it.

Nicolas Petrou

Unfortunately you are right Sace. They changed my clutch pack after months of bugging them and for about 3 days the car was like new. But after that, i started noticing the same symptoms as before especially when the car is cold and when the car is on low rpms on uphill. Hopefully it will not get much worse than now.

So another thing that i need to get used to it among other things.

It would be an awesome car if the DQ200 didn't have so many problems. Unfortunately my experience with VW is so bad that I wouldn't recommend to anyone to mess with VAG cars including myself.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
VAG as repeatedly had DSG problems, which is why I stay away from them....especially the lower torque models...the old high torque wet dsg is fine...

I agree.
While the 'old' DQ250/02E/6-speed DSG (2.0 TDI, GTI, R etc.) seems reliable,
the DQ200 7-speed (1.6 TDI, 1.2/1.4 TSI) is not. VW never got it right. Stay
away from this one and get a manual.
Just for clarifying, the new DQ381 7-speed (2017 GTD, GTI, R) has nothing to
do with that. It's basically an upgraded DQ250, again with wet clutches.