GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

This Paint Job Sucks! Sorry Need to Vent.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Washed my car yesterday. Every time I wash my car I feel the need to vent. I hate the poor quality paint. Tired of having treat the paint like it's made of tissue paper. I've had my car for only 4 months and the hood and bumper is riddled with rock chips. I'm wondering what's fucking point of doing a two bucket wash and worrying about swirls when my front is looking like a dart board?

I love my car but the hood looks like shit. We've had our Prius for over 3 years and we dog the shit out that car: big road trips, camping, taken through any kind of automated carwash and I'm still hard pressed to find any kind of paint blemishes.

I wish VW would own up to this and fix it. Or at least buy me a lifetime supply of Dr. Colorchip. [done venting] :mad:

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
Crazy man. I've not had a single one yet,but I also drive about 5 - 8 car lengths behind other cars. Plus, SoCal isn't heavy on rocks. But, I feel for ya on the paint. I would try a touchless car was routine to see if that makes any difference.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
The only way to avoid this is by doing a full detail with paint protection the week you get the car, and also putting a clear bra on the front. Yes, that is a several thousand dollar jobZ

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Crazy man. I've not had a single one yet,but I also drive about 5 - 8 car lengths behind other cars. Plus, SoCal isn't heavy on rocks. But, I feel for ya on the paint. I would try a touchless car was routine to see if that makes any difference.

I envy you! Maybe it's just luck of the draw and I ended up with a schlocky paint job. I'm not knowledgeable about wrapping cars, but is that something feasible rather than getting the hood repainted? I feel like, at the rate I'm getting paint chips, I will have to repaint in two years.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The only way to avoid this is by doing a full detail with paint protection the week you get the car, and also putting a clear bra on the front. Yes, that is a several thousand dollar jobZ

It's just sad that we have to resort to these type of measures. I never had to worry about this sort of thing with any of my other cars. The paint is the last thing I should have to worry about. I'm not asking for a finish that always looks like it rolled out of the showroom. I just don't want my paint to erode away before my warranty is even up.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
$2,900 to be exact...lol. Varies by coating and labor rates obviously. At 1,100 miles it was under the orbital, getting a clear bra on it's face, and having a ceramic coating installed. It looks absolutely flawless, but only time will tell. I have tried to train myself to follow farther back with this vehicle as my Mk6 got the crap kicked out of it. Stone chips would make me grit my teeth every time I washed it.

So far I've had the clear bra/coating combo for two months or so, zero blemishes.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
It's just sad that we have to resort to these type of measures. I never had to worry about this sort of thing with any of my other cars. The paint is the last thing I should have to worry about. I'm not asking for a finish that always looks like it rolled out of the showroom. I just don't want my paint to erode away before my warranty is even up.
I find that the process feels almost overkill for a VW, but, I had to do it. It sucks that with that money I could have a damn fast car with the best body mods around. But alas, I merely have a flawless pure white GTI to speak for it. I find the investment worth it, I wouldn't blame others to feel otherwise however.

Last edited: