GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic vs APR vs VWR600 intake

blazter

Ready to race!
Hi guys.

I currently have the stock intake, with BMC panel filter and the removed snowguard.
I'm looking to add a little bit more sound maintaining the driveability, so open intakes are out of question.

With that in mind, I ended up picking these 3 intakes.
There's not much information regarding the Unitronic one.

I read some posts comparing APR and VWR, they are about the same performance wise, but the VWR tends to be louder. (According to those opinions)

I leaning towards the APR, because I find the design quite nice visually and technically.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Unitronic Cold air intake is a high quality one that offers perfect fitment and outstanding building qualities. Everything from this intake was engineered to withstand time and the clear coat finish is perfect and is protected against discoloration.

If you would like to know more about all the attributes of the Cold air intake you could visit our Website or get in touch with an authorized dealer in your area.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
If I were to pick... I'd go with either APR or Unitronic.

VWR... it has that weird filter.

With the APR or the Unitronic, if you needed to, you could buy a new filter at Autozone. You could use a K&N filter, AEM filter, etc.

With the VWR... I don't think you can fit a different brand filter.

blazter

Ready to race!
The Unitronic Cold air intake is a high quality one that offers perfect fitment and outstanding building qualities. Everything from this intake was engineered to withstand time and the clear coat finish is perfect and is protected against discoloration.

If you would like to know more about all the attributes of the Cold air intake you could visit our Website or get in touch with an authorized dealer in your area.

Do you have some dyno charts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
These Australian guys did some testing on CAI's on Turbo's and got some surprising results ===> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

I'm not sure this is applicable.

The APR and Unitronic are not only a CAI, but a ram air as well. As speeds increase, more air will be able to get into the intake vs. the stock box.

The video shown doesn't even have a fan running in front of the car to simulate driving, plus, it's kind of apples and oranges in the test as they're using an open air intake rather than a closed intake such as APR and Unitronic. There's a reason why Injen came out with a closed box as well.

Also, some of the fastest GTI's in the country are running the APR CAI. I can't believe that this intake is "hurting" anything with these engines if the guys that are the "quickest Mk7 in the country" are running them. I would think the guys that are this competitive would take any advantage they could.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
I agree with what you say, but the video does point out a few things with open intakes as you said. I was surprised they didn't use a fan. On my MK6, I had a Modshack intake. A fellow down in N.C. developed it for Audi TT's and redesigned it slightly for his on MK6. It was made from a gallon paint can, 6 layers of insulation inside along with a Bullet coned K&N filter. Almost everyone that bought the unit said(including myself) they noticed better throttle response. It mounted directly to the openings in the front grill, easy to install and $250.00. That's the type I'm looking for. If these companies do not show dyno sheets with the product they sell, what's the point.

I'm not sure this is applicable.

The APR and Unitronic are not only a CAI, but a ram air as well. As speeds increase, more air will be able to get into the intake vs. the stock box.

The video shown doesn't even have a fan running in front of the car to simulate driving, plus, it's kind of apples and oranges in the test as they're using an open air intake rather than a closed intake such as APR and Unitronic. There's a reason why Injen came out with a closed box as well.

Also, some of the fastest GTI's in the country are running the APR CAI. I can't believe that this intake is "hurting" anything with these engines if the guys that are the "quickest Mk7 in the country" are running them. I would think the guys that are this competitive would take any advantage they could.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
A used APR intake is worth it, but it's still some what quiet although you can hear the dv more. I felt a noticeable difference on my IS38 switching from the stock airbox with the vwr drop in filter. I also bought the second carbon fiber piece and it really looks nice under the hood.

Mk7Matt

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

I like mine. Sound wise I can hear the turbo spool more with the windows down and I can hear the dv release pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I find I like how my Uni intake sounds. The air resonates nicely in the big open area of the intake, and sounds great with revs.

This is coming from someone with stock exhaust, however, as I don't want my car super loud. This is nice and subtle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk