GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What oil do you run?

Snitt

Ready to race!
Castrol 0w40 Euro for me. WalMart has it cheap, and it has the 502.00 certification on the label.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I just purchased 12 liters of Motul 8100 X-cess off Amazon, so that'll be my first two fills.

I plan to change at 1k mi and 5k mi and then start UOA at 10k to determine the right OCI over the long haul. I did that on my past three VW's (all TDIs) and they were all trouble-free. Overkill, maybe, but it's my car, so IDGAF.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Amsoil 5W-40 Euro Car Formula Improved
VW 502.00/505.01

surfstar

Ready to race!
Mobile 1 0w40 FTW :) Can grab them on sale every now and again for like $12 :) (Slickdeals is your friend)

This is the correct answer. (except its Mobil, not the city in AL - I know stupid auto correct!)

The cheapest VW 502 oil I can find, which has been M1 so far.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Same. M1 0W-40. Here is after 110k miles on my Saab with 10k changes with this oil. Runs like a top. Cylinders 3 and 4 had leaking spark plug gaskets as noted by the dark appearance and oil in the spark plug chamber.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I have been using the regular Motul specific 5w40, but I might switch to Castrol 0w40 or 5w40... I'm sorta getting over on having to wait for nearly a week for the oil change kit to arrive when I order motul.

tknj99

Ready to race!
I'm a DIY type especially with oil changes as well.. question.. for those new and/or still in warranty period, is there anything that you need to do documentation-wise, such as keep receipts or some other method to prove it's been done in case of a powertrain warranty issue comes up?

The 3-year free maintenance that I enjoyed on my previous new MK6 was nice, but oh well, it'all be nice to learn this car and looks like a simple deal to perform nonetheless and I'm sure saves a few bucks vs going to dealer.