GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch swapping questions

Npdogg

Ready to race!
So I have started to think about swapping out my clutch soon so I can start adding some power mods. So I plan to prob go South Bend Stage 3 daily, but may go new SMF Sachs performance clutch. So that brings me to my question and the main reason for this thread.

If I replace my stock clutch with the SMF before adding power and no slipping to speak of, can I swap the stock clutch back in before trading it in 1-2 years from now. And then take said SMF and put that in a Golf R when I buy that. Will the stock clutch be ok to be swapped back in and will the SMF be ok to be swapped into a second car?

I realize that this is a ton of labor, but I have friend that is willing to help me for $200 and some beer for the day vs $600-$800 at a shop. If I learn it with him I would feel comfortable doing this swapping back and forth. Plus I also plan to get as many mods as I can that will be able to swapped from the GTI to the R. So are there any issues I'm not seeing besides the countless hours of labor I would be undertaking? Thanks

CDN_MKV

Wakka Wakka
Car(s)
07 UG GTI
Stock clutch/FW should go back in with no issues. that's typically what I've done also. Trade it/sell it, no one knows there was a different clutch in it even.

Npdogg

Ready to race!
Stock clutch/FW should go back in with no issues. that's typically what I've done also. Trade it/sell it, no one knows there was a different clutch in it even.

Thanks for the confirmation doublej, I knew someone had to have done this. By the way I saw your build(damn impressive so far) and was wondering did you get the Sachs SRE kit or the new Sachs SMF version? I would truly like to get a DMF SRE kit but when I get the R it might be pushing the limits of the SRE kit with my long term plans for it.

Last edited: