GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

a question for those of you who have a 93 octane tune

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Yes if your tune requires 93 don't put 87 in

bostonGuy

I was under the impression that in modern cars with ECU's controlling everything, that if the knock sensor detects pre-ignition (knocking) it just retards the timing to compensate. This of course degrades the performance somewhat but protects the engine.

I'd be really surprised if running lower octane fuels does anything other than temporarily "de-tuning" the engine while using it. VW really couldn't sell a car that would hurt itself with the use of lower octane fuels.

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
I was under the impression that in modern cars with ECU's controlling everything, that if the knock sensor detects pre-ignition (knocking) it just retards the timing to compensate. This of course degrades the performance somewhat but protects the engine.

I'd be really surprised if running lower octane fuels does anything other than temporarily "de-tuning" the engine while using it. VW really couldn't sell a car that would hurt itself with the use of lower octane fuels.
But we're not longer using VW's programming. APR is the only party that can answer this question.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

italynstylion

Ready to race!
Again, I think the answer needs to be....if you are on a 93 tune and have 93 available, go nuts. But if you can't find 93, don't fuck around. Stay out of boost and you'll be fine. If you push the car hard on a 93 tune while running something LESS than 93 you pretty much deserve what's coming to you.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
For the people who say it "turns down" there isn't an octane sensor or something of the sort.

The car has to knock before it knows to turn ignition timing down.