GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 VS MK7 Golf R Sound

Dubguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a MK7 Golf R and I've been looking for an exhaust system for awhile. In my research it seems like the MK6 and MK7 sound different. Any ideas why that would be? I heard the MK6 R in person with a Milltek Resonated cat-back and it sounded amazing, but that setup on the MK7 seems to sound like ass. Just curious. Thanks!

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I have the APR down pipe and stock exhaust. The sound is awesome!!!

mk4_337

Ready to race!
I have a MK7 Golf R and I've been looking for an exhaust system for awhile. In my research it seems like the MK6 and MK7 sound different. Any ideas why that would be? I heard the MK6 R in person with a Milltek Resonated cat-back and it sounded amazing, but that setup on the MK7 seems to sound like ass. Just curious. Thanks!

I've come up with this same question in my head and have looked at all kinds of exhausts for the US 7R I came up with the Invidia Q300 as sounding the best for just a catback on our cars imo

The 7r over in Europe has mpi "multi port injection" and it sounds amazing in stock form and with a Milltek exhaust with all the crackles and pops it produces but sadly we didn't get it :(

Hopefully I am able to order the Q300 soon to get some before and after exhaust clips, you should check it out over on youtube, many users have a downpipe as well but a couple videos just have the catback and it sounds amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW3rvsJ8AOQ

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
I have the APR down pipe and stock exhaust. The sound is awesome!!!
It's nice. Exactly what I was hoping it would be. The engine note is "clearer". Not deeper like imagined it would be. And just maybe 10-15% louder.

I haven't found a single exhaust that I've liked for this car, so just the DP will do fine for me.

APR did just release this teaser though. We'll see what it turns out to be.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Boschisgood

It's nice. Exactly what I was hoping it would be. The engine note is "clearer". Not deeper like imagined it would be. And just maybe 10-15% louder.

I haven't found a single exhaust that I've liked for this car, so just the DP will do fine for me.

APR did just release this teaser though. We'll see what it turns out to be.

Oooooooo shiiiineyyyy... interested to see if APR finally offers a cat back option. Also interested to see how the new OEM 2018 golf R titanium exhaust stacks up against aftermarket options. Maybe it'll fit nicely on my 2016 and have enough flow for my APR stage 2 tune?

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
Oooooooo shiiiineyyyy... interested to see if APR finally offers a cat back option. Also interested to see how the new OEM 2018 golf R titanium exhaust stacks up against aftermarket options. Maybe it'll fit nicely on my 2016 and have enough flow for my APR stage 2 tune?
A catback will just be for sound. If you've got a downpipe, you have all the additional flow you can get.

Boschisgood

A catback will just be for sound. If you've got a downpipe, you have all the additional flow you can get.

I mean maybe the new titanium exhaust that will be stock on 2018 golf R's will have enough flow to replace my APR downpipe and stock catback. It should drop some weight as well.

Steel28

I've come up with this same question in my head and have looked at all kinds of exhausts for the US 7R I came up with the Invidia Q300 as sounding the best for just a catback on our cars imo

The 7r over in Europe has mpi "multi port injection" and it sounds amazing in stock form and with a Milltek exhaust with all the crackles and pops it produces but sadly we didn't get it :(

Hopefully I am able to order the Q300 soon to get some before and after exhaust clips, you should check it out over on youtube, many users have a downpipe as well but a couple videos just have the catback and it sounds amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW3rvsJ8AOQ

I'm trying to do my research in order to get catback exhaust to produce pops and crackles..

I am very happy with my BCS Powervalve, and I bought it right after Brexit when the pound took a dive, so it was quite reasonable. It's a boost actuated system, so you run through three pipes with muffler below 6.5 PSI, but when the boost hits, it dumps to the single, open pipe. Sounds great WOT and AMAZING at 3/4 throttle.

Gorgeous system, I have one minor quibble. Sometimes on the freeway in top gear if I do pass without downshifting, it sounds like perhaps the valve partially opens and it gets a bit loud, but it's a minor inconvenience easily avoided by downshifting, and probably wouldn't be an issue with DSG.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I mean maybe the new titanium exhaust that will be stock on 2018 golf R's will have enough flow to replace my APR downpipe and stock catback. It should drop some weight as well.

Good luck - that thing allegedly sells for over $3k. Part of the performance package option elsewhere, won't even be offered on the new R here.

That kind of coin would be far better invested in a good driving school. You'll get MUCH faster that way than by adding a few bolt-on baubles. Far better bang-for-the-buck factor.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm trying to do my research in order to get catback exhaust to produce pops and crackles..

Do you have dual fuel injection?

And it's my understanding it's not the exhaust making the pops and crackles, it's the ROW port injection and/or OEM tune. Videos of seemingly stock ROW R's make the sounds.

I think you can get a tune that retards the timing and adds some fuel to make the sounds.

As a last resort get a flame thrower kit.