GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the door exit warning lights from the VW Passat (2013->)

vqv

Same modification needed for rear doors?

The rear doors require much more modification. I took a quick look the other day to check feasibility, and I think you would need to cut away at the plastic support behind the door panel. It is really tight back there. It might be possible to fabricate a more compact light housing, but that would be a lot of work.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Sorry I need a bigger picture perspective of what's going on here. So what models do these door lights come standard on?

To be honest after seeing this thread, I checked my door and realized that I just had reflectors. For some reason I took it for granted that they lit up. What a rude awakening. :eek:

vqv

Sorry I need a bigger picture perspective of what's going on here. So what models do these door lights come standard on?

They don't come standard on any model Golf. However the door control module supports them and the cutout for the reflector is the same. So it's like VW saved some money by specifying reflectors instead of lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vqv

How bright are they, can you post a night photo? Usually oem leds are a bit low on brightness

There are two areas on the light cover lens: red and clear. The clear area shines down. The brightness and color temperature matches the puddle lights on the power folding mirrors so it looks like a continuous pool of light on the ground on both sides of the door. The red area has a subtle and uniform glow. Visible at night but not so much during the day.

If you are concerned about brightness, then get the older incandescent warning light. It fits without modification, but you will have to replace the incandescent bulb with an LED and because of the design of the lens, you'll see the point source of the bulb behind the the red lens. The look is similar to replacing the halogen bulbs in your tail lights with LED bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Haroyac

Hello. I just did this on my golf r that has the door sills. Didn't do any vagcom. My battery died overnight. Any suggestions. I tapped into pin 16 and pin 5..

Stupid me. I forgot the obdeleven plugged in.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Holy cow Batman,
This is the most extensive writeup with great detailed pictures I have ever seen.

GREAT JOB!

Thanks a ton for doing this and sharing!!!

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Hello. I just did this on my golf r that has the door sills. Didn't do any vagcom. My battery died overnight. Any suggestions. I tapped into pin 16 and pin 5..

Stupid me. I forgot the obdeleven plugged in.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Been there and done stupid!;)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Holy cow Batman,
This is the most extensive writeup with great detailed pictures I have ever seen.

GREAT JOB!

Thanks a ton for doing this and sharing!!!

No problems!...

& have you clicked the link in my signature to read all my other how to guides?....:D

Some I admit I need to fully sort, :eek: others are totally done. :cool:

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
First of all, sorry if i am reviwing a old thread., but there is a relvance to my question below -

For anyone, who got the rear door warning lights working using (user : Sootchucker’s method) or by tapping in to door actuator sensor/micro switch.
After successfully modding working for few years., did anyone had a failed door actuator ?

Meaning the sensor/switch failing to make contacts causing all of the symptopms -

1. Dashboard will not report door open status
2. Interior Dome lights will not work with door opened
3. Particular door warning lights will not work anymore.

I had this mod done both on MK7 Golf and NMS/B7 Passat., rear door actuator failed within few years for the mod, in both of the vehicles., just the microswitch that makes contact to ground failed., eventhough the other functions like door lock/unlocking works fine.
I am thinking that the microswitch (which opens to ground on door open) is not heavy enough to handle the additional load from the LED warning lights. The actuator module itself costs around 170 USD here in US and dont want to spend that much, just for this issue.
if I go ahead replacing the module, will definitely add a transistor/mosfer based trigger circuit to reduce the load on the switch.

Any experience with this issue ?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
First of all, sorry if i am reviwing a old thread., but there is a relvance to my question below -

For anyone, who got the rear door warning lights working using (user : Sootchucker’s method) or by tapping in to door actuator sensor/micro switch.
After successfully modding working for few years., did anyone had a failed door actuator ?

Meaning the sensor/switch failing to make contacts causing all of the symptopms -

1. Dashboard will not report door open status
2. Interior Dome lights will not work with door opened
3. Particular door warning lights will not work anymore.

I had this mod done both on MK7 Golf and NMS/B7 Passat., rear door actuator failed within few years for the mod, in both of the vehicles., just the microswitch that makes contact to ground failed., eventhough the other functions like door lock/unlocking works fine.
I am thinking that the microswitch (which opens to ground on door open) is not heavy enough to handle the additional load from the LED warning lights. The actuator module itself costs around 170 USD here in US and dont want to spend that much, just for this issue.
if I go ahead replacing the module, will definitely add a transistor/mosfer based trigger circuit to reduce the load on the switch.

Any experience with this issue ?

One of the reasons why I decided to not "cheat" on the rear doors & thus I left the OEM reflectors in place...

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
One of the reasons why I decided to not "cheat" on the rear doors & thus I left the OEM reflectors in place...

What kind of switch is used on the MK7 to signal the door open? Is it built into the latch inside the door? Is it a mechanical switch or is it magnetic reed-based?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

gtreulands

Great post golfdave!

Thinking about doing same mod to my Golf 7 Variant 2014. But I don't currently have any VCDS tool.

What VCDS tool are you using to re-code? (Probably not all of them will offer possibility to re-code, right? )

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Great post golfdave!

Thinking about doing same mod to my Golf 7 Variant 2014. But I don't currently have any VCDS tool.

What VCDS tool are you using to re-code? (Probably not all of them will offer possibility to re-code, right? )

Thanks!

I use the genuine Ross-tech VCDS cable. You pay for the cable & the programme is free to download. However the cheap copy rip-off cables can only work on the old VCDS programs which will NOT work properly with the MK7 Golf!

Many people have found this out the hard way & had serious problems with their MK& Golf afterwards!

I have always used Ross-Tech VCDS cables for years now..no problems...