GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI Differential

mittenz

Ready to race!
Hello MK7 Folk,

I understand the performance package offers a hydraulic locking torque vectoring limited slip diff, but what is the standard offering on the car?

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
Hello MK7 Folk,

I understand the performance package offers a hydraulic locking torque vectoring limited slip diff, but what is the standard offering on the car?

Hello mstoochn. The standard offering is an algorithm in the ABS unit which gathers information from a (great) number of sensors (steering angle, throttle position, velocity, slippage of the wheels, etc....) and is called in its last iteration XDS+. When loss of traction is detected it applies the brakes on the wheels which has less traction. So, with the open differential , the power is directed to the wheel which has traction (in the front axle) and (in a corner on the rear axle) it creats a yaw moment to help you tighten your line. If that's not enough and the unit thinks it's going out of control, power is cut off as well and it tries to stabilize the car with the brakes.
Also, the electric steering allowed VW to program it to make little corrections when different traction is detected between the two sides of the car.

joema2

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2010 Golf GTI 6MT
Hello MK7 Folk,

The base Mark VII GTI and Golf R use XDS+ to control left/right wheelspin. This selectively brakes the spinning wheel, transferring torque to the opposite wheel.

The VAQ differential in the Performance Pack GTI uses a single Haldex-type clutch pack to essentially brake either spinning front wheel. The overall principle is similar to XDS+ but uses a clutch pack which can be finely modulated. VAQ is computer-controlled, so the ECU can evaluate all other vehicle sensors and decide how best to use VAQ vs XDS+ vs stability control.

The VAQ can transmit 100% of engine torque to either front wheel, vs a Torsen-type LSD which can typically only transfer about 75% of torque to the non-spinning wheel. Likewise a conventional clutch-type LSD has an even lower bias ratio, often equating to around 62% torque transfer.

The Golf R uses a similar Haldex-type clutch pack to modulate front/rear torque, but left/right torque uses XDS+ just like the GTI.

The VAQ diff on the PP GTI looks very impressive. It is proven faster on the race track. I suspect in various sporty street situations it will feel more natural than the non-PP car, mainly when accelerating hard in a sharp turn. However the improved Mark VII XDS+ works fairly well in many street driving situations.

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
Last edited:

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
Have I lost my mind? I don't see the caliper rotating? Thanks for sharing the video.

See 11 to 13s. Remainder of video caliper is correctly fixed to the axle.

Gnasher

Ready to race!
Whilst it is a physical impossibility, think of what an R would be like with a VAQ diff!

It would effectively mova all the power away from the inside front wheel (the one most likely to be spinning.

It'll never happen though as the feed for the VAQ diff is taken from exactly he same place as the feed for the haldex clutch pack. (IE, the GTI has the same gearbox as the R).

Wonder if it's got a stronger 'R' clutch (if there's any difference between the GTI and R clutches)?

napadirt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 2DR PP MT, Macan
Wonder if it's got a stronger 'R' clutch (if there's any difference between the GTI and R clutches)?

I asked the same question in thread I linked a few posts above. No one had the answer. It's as simple as calling a VW parts department and getting the part numbers for the two clutch kits. If they are the same transmission then a Golf R clutch should fit in the PP GTI.

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
I asked the same question in thread I linked a few posts above. No one had the answer. It's as simple as calling a VW parts department and getting the part numbers for the two clutch kits. If they are the same transmission then a Golf R clutch should fit in the PP GTI.

They are different part numbers for clutch plate and pressure plate. If it helps

2014 PP GTi engine codes: CHHA, CHHB
SACHS: 06K141015B

2014 R engine codes: CJXC,CJXB, CYFB
SACHS: 06K141015C

rbwhite42

I too was puzzled by how the PP differential works when it is located on one side of the transmission.
From what I have seen the PP Haldex does not vector torque to the outside wheel. It is located between the transmission and the passenger side wheel only. It is connected to the open differential outer case via a rotating tube and the inner spider gear via a shaft. It is basically a clutch pack limited slip with the ability to vary the amount of lockup from 0-100% via an electronically controlled hydraulic oil pump. It is not sending the power to one wheel. It is locking the two together. The inside wheel will slip due to being unloaded. Rear drive race cars do the same thing. If you get on it hard in a corner both front tires pull with almost no torque steer. I love it.

The Golf R and GTI transmissions can't be the same. The R transmission has power takeoff for the rear wheel drive.