GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Oh, I have a stupid question!

How do you use the physical backup key when keyless isn't working? The keyhole is covered so do you just pry off the cover and expose the keyhole behind it?

Didn't find anything in the manual about it.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Oh, I have a stupid question!

How do you use the physical backup key when keyless isn't working? The keyhole is covered so do you just pry off the cover and expose the keyhole behind it?

Didn't find anything in the manual about it.

Yep pretty much , there is a notch at the bottom of the cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACE2

Ready to race!

Also start keeping a spare battery. These key fobs are notorious for draining the battery fast.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c

Wrong.

You don't pry off that cover, there's no conventional lock cylinder under there. You merely hold the key fob up close to that cover, and you'll be able to start the car. The RFID chip does not require battery power to communicate, but its range is very short when your fob battery is dead.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Wrong.

You don't pry off that cover, there's no conventional lock cylinder under there. You merely hold the key fob up close to that cover, and you'll be able to start the car. The RFID chip does not require battery power to communicate, but its range is very short when your fob battery is dead.

I believe he's referring to the door handle, not ignition. But... I think the original inquiry was is in regard to the ignition. Break down in communication.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I believe he's referring to the door handle, not ignition. But... I think the original inquiry was is in regard to the ignition. Break down in communication.

Yes thanks for the clarification, I was referring to the door handle itself, that said I have a strip down S so no Kessy or anything :)

WoNayT

Passed Driver's Ed
Golf R rear sway

I can't find an exact answer on this, but I know the GTI rear sway can be put on the base golf, but can the Golf R rear sway fit as well? I think I saw it being even thicker than the GTIs and I get to keep my OEM+ style.

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
DSG Question. Is selecting sport mode with the button the same as dropping the shifter down into S?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
DSG Question. Is selecting sport mode with the button the same as dropping the shifter down into S?

Sport mode is a profile, or a combination of settings. Check out what can be set individually with the "individual" selection. Sport mode sets all of the individual settings to sport.

Dropping the shifter to S is the same as setting the individual "drivetrain" setting to sport. The "drivetrain" settings adjusts throttle response and DSG shift points.

Ay B

No. When you use the button to put it into Sport mode you're changing the steering sensitivity, suspension and engine noise.

When you pull down on the shifter to put it into S, this raises the shift points.

You can be driving in Sport mode (button) and still have it in D, and vice versa

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
I can't find an exact answer on this, but I know the GTI rear sway can be put on the base golf, but can the Golf R rear sway fit as well? I think I saw it being even thicker than the GTIs and I get to keep my OEM+ style.

No, the one on the R is different.

BananaSlug

Ready to race!
I recently got my car tinted to protect the leather from the hot Texas sun. How much faster will my car be now that there isn't as much light in the car weighing it down?

mkygod

Ready to race!
For those with sunroofs, are the black panels around the sunroof made of plastic like the B pillar panels or is it painted metal?

I want to know if they scratch easily like the B pillars.