GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe in Mass - can I make it work?

Ryan32185

Hey everyone, long time lurker...first time poster.

Is it possible to run a downpipe in MA without any issues with passing inspection, emissions,etc? I would love to upgrade but honestly dreading the possibility of issues and hassle. What is the secret? If done right, is it truly a non-issue? I would absolutely run a CAT and pair it up to the stock exhaust for now.

I have done some searching and I have seen others say they have no issues and then some say it is a hassle. I had bad luck with changing the DP on my Saab Viggen and CELs and not passing readiness. Just want to get some good info about everyone's real experience before I buy parts and install only to regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Misslauren82

Ready to race!
I passed smog with my MK6 with a Catted Downpipe in Mass no problem - just make sure readiness is set before you go in (cheap obd 2 reader, vcds, whatever)

The high quality downpipes (AWE, Neuspeed) claim to be able to pass emissions with no spacers - you may need to mess with spacers with less expensive units.

Not sure if you need to flash/switch back to stock with the MK7 tunes like the MK6 - that may be the only hassle.

Theoretically if they wanted to - I suppose they could fail you on a visual - only caveat I suppose.

Good luck!

Lauren

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
You can run an awe or neuspeeds with no worries. Others will most likely need to be flash to stage 1 [if stage 2) then after you can just flash back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ryan32185

Thanks for the info, will look into AWE. Figured I would start with a good base and then get a tune, or both at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk