GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bodyshop for warranty repairs?

Derassassin

Passed Driver's Ed
Dropped of my car for some maintenance issues and the clicking noise coming from the drivers side door check strap (supposedly common problem)... dealer told me they couldn't fix it on their end and would need to give the car to the local VW approved bodyshop to take care of it...

I've never had this happen with my BMW or Audi in the past, always the dealer doing the work... is this common?

Ended up agreeing seeing as he didn't give me much of an option and I'm tired of a clunking noise anytime I open the door....

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derassassin

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure if same issue but my driver side started to make popping sound when opened and closed. I found the bolt that attaches door swing arm was loose.
Tightened up and all was good. FYI.

Yeah that was the goal on fixing it, but didn't help... thought is that it's on the other end and they want to let the certified guys handle it... (yet they're a VW dealer?)

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Sadly it is rather common nowadays. Lots of dealerships don't have body shops anymore. As a matter a fact many dealers don't even have detailers anymore either, they have lot kids who can barely wash a car. It's cheaper for dealers to sublet the work, if needed.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
And from my experience, the dealership body shops aren't necessarily better. I had one mess up my MKV a couple years ago when the front fenders started to rust from the inside out (common problem).

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah that was the goal on fixing it, but didn't help... thought is that it's on the other end and they want to let the certified guys handle it... (yet they're a VW dealer?)

As stated dealers are not body shop guys any more.
Better they almost always have a go to guy they use for their on lot cars.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I imagine that anytime a dealer tells you that they can't do warranty work, they're doing you a favor. When they do so, they're turning down income. I know that for a body shop to be authorized as a certified shop by an insurance company, they have to meet some pretty high standards (my neighbor has a chain of body shops and he's told me many times about how tough some of the insurance companies have been before getting certified); I assume that VW exerts some quality control over the shops which it steers its products over to for warranty work.

tax guy

Passed Driver's Ed
If you are not happy with a dealer paint repair, keep returning it to the dealer. I had a new 1991 BMW that looked like the bottom part of one lower panel had been painted over dirt, so the paint was flaking off and showing a dirty panel underneath. The local dealer in Miami painted it and the paint still flaked off, showing dirt underneath, they painted it again and when I moved to NY and it flaked off again, so the NY zone rep approved another repair, all at no cost to me. That one lasted until I sold the car.