GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First car possibly a GTI? Tell me everything! Is the Mexico quality as good as German

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I'm pretty sure this kid didn't join the forum to get lectured about driving safety. What's with all the random horror stories? Jesus. Just answer his questions about the car.
Point taken. I rode bikes (trials, motocross, speedway and on the road) for 20+ years and could literally fill the forum with horror stories, as we all probably could. But I won't. I guess with a new car, initially it's prob best to drive roads you know well so you are more 'driving the car and less the actual road' if you see what I mean. A wise, old guy once told me "Take it easy at first, then when you're ready for the bike / car, it will be ready for you....

Last edited:

alper

Ready to race!
Understeer makes the car safer than a more neutral car.

True. Or at least it will fire the alarm earlier than RWD and AWD, and it will be easier and more natural for inexperienced drivers to correct, compared with the other two. AWD is even more dangerous I'd say as people don't usually understand the difference between traction and grip and over-estimate its capabilities whereas everyone must have heard a word or two about RWD particularities.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
True. Or at least it will fire the alarm earlier than RWD and AWD, and it will be easier and more natural for inexperienced drivers to correct, compared with the other two. AWD is even more dangerous I'd say as people don't usually understand the difference between traction and grip and over-estimate its capabilities whereas everyone must have heard a word or two about RWD particularities.
Agreed, I live in New England and every idiot in a snowy ditch is an 4WD/AWD SUV driver on all season tires.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
If you plan on having this car for the long haul and care about the paint, don't take it through gas station car washes unless they're touchless. You'll appreciate the bond more with your car if you invest in some good detailing products and do it yourself. :)

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Should i maintain it every 10K mi and save all maintenance records?

Yes, you should do all manufacturer recommended and scheduled maintenance and save records.

Here is a chart of basic required maintenace: https://shopdap.com/service-schedule-for-mk7-gti-2015-2016/

Some things like rotating tires, oil changes, checking/topping off fluids, you can or should do more often than 10K if you want.

Use premium gas, and always use approved VW spec oil in the correct weight.

Congratulations on the new ride! Can't imagine what it would have been like to have this car at 17.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Don't baby the car. Do let the oil get up to operating temperature first though (at least 180F). Turbos hate cold oil.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Don't baby the car. Do let the oil get up to operating temperature first though (at least 180F). Turbos hate cold oil.
This +10000

Also, I try to get a nice 3rd gear rip and near full throttle daily. Heat and pressure can clean up the valves a bit. Also, it's a good excuse to go fast.

Just watch that speedo, I've gotten carried away a few times [emoji48]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk