GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EBC Yellow Stuff torched after DE

ImolaR

Ready to race!
Check out these pics. This is the condition of my front pads after just one track day at Sebring. The front right are a bit worse than the left, presumably because of the 'torque vectoring'.

EBC advertise yellow as a "trackable street pad," but I'm not so sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rexneffect

Ready to race!
Were these your street pads for a few thousand miles at least before hitting the track?
OR
Did you swap pads onto old rotors? This happened to me once when swapping track pads onto already worn-in rotors

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ImolaR

Ready to race!
I put about 500mi on the pads before the track, and yes they were old rotors.

I just put on fresh pads and rotors.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I put about 500mi on the pads before the track, and yes they were old rotors.

I just put on fresh pads and rotors.
My yellows took over 1000 miles to get through the break in coating, and I used brand new slotted sport rotors.

Did you bed the brakes? The 500 mile break in period on EBC was contingent on being pretty aggressively bedded.

Also, if your old rotors had any cementite deposits from the previous pads, that can cause serious problems.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Check out these pics. This is the condition of my front pads after just one track day at Sebring. The front right are a bit worse than the left, presumably because of the 'torque vectoring'.

EBC advertise yellow as a "trackable street pad," but I'm not so sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sebring Club or long course?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rexneffect

Ready to race!
I've had same experience with new track pads into old rotors without bedding / wearing them in well enough. if you're driving like you should on a track, I don't doubt that the yellow stuff won't hold up, though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ImolaR

Ready to race!
My yellows took over 1000 miles to get through the break in coating, and I used brand new slotted sport rotors.

Did you bed the brakes? The 500 mile break in period on EBC was contingent on being pretty aggressively bedded.

Also, if your old rotors had any cementite deposits from the previous pads, that can cause serious problems.

I didn't check to see if the red break in coating had worn off. But I did follow the bed in procedures they recommended before I used them on track.

I think it goes down to the relatively old rotors combined with the abuse of sebring.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Full circuit, never been on the club.
I've had the opportunity to run both and the long course definitely shaves off at least 2-4 mm more on the brake pads.

I run the StopTech Sport Pads on the StopTech Trophy Sport ST40 kit. After each of the four track events, they have never looked like yours.

tripleS

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15 GTI PP \ 16 GT4
Figure I'll also chime in with my limited experience with the EBC Yellows. Did a single HPDE1(!) weekend on them after a couple weeks of street break-in, and had just over 500 miles driven until the track event. They actually performed well, good bite, no fade throughout the weekend... but holy cow they basically disintegrated. Easily over halfway worn and flaking along the edges, see the picture below. For the price they're very disposable IMO. Decent for aggressive street use, not so appropriate for any consistent track time.

see:

ImolaR

Ready to race!
Figure I'll also chime in with my limited experience with the EBC Yellows. Did a single HPDE1(!) weekend on them after a couple weeks of street break-in, and had just over 500 miles driven until the track event. They actually performed well, good bite, no fade throughout the weekend... but holy cow they basically disintegrated. Easily over halfway worn and flaking along the edges, see the picture below. For the price they're very disposable IMO. Decent for aggressive street use, not so appropriate for any consistent track time.

see:

Agree entirely. I feel that if it wasn't for some pretty bad vibration on my right rotor under moderate braking, I wouldn't of swapped them out. When I looked at the pads (just looking through the wheel, they weren't removed) after the track I saw a lot of material on them, and I was happy about their performance.

I imagine that if I went to the track again without replacing anything things would not have ended well.

ImolaR

Ready to race!
I've had the opportunity to run both and the long course definitely shaves off at least 2-4 mm more on the brake pads.

I run the StopTech Sport Pads on the StopTech Trophy Sport ST40 kit. After each of the four track events, they have never looked like yours.

Yeah T1, T7, T17 are all braking zones over 100mph, so I can see why.

Not sure the next time Ill be at Sebring because I moved to NYC, kinda sucks because I really love that circuit.

I do have Lime Rock and Watkins Glenn though, cant wait to try them!

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Yeah T1, T7, T17 are all braking zones over 100mph, so I can see why.

Not sure the next time Ill be at Sebring because I moved to NYC, kinda sucks because I really love that circuit.

I do have Lime Rock and Watkins Glenn though, cant wait to try them!
T17 kicked my arse on several occasions. Too bad to hear you moved up north, would have been fun to try to meet up at Daytona or Sebring.

Definitely would love the opportunity to try Lime Rock and Watkins Glenn.

Were you running OEM rotors?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Still not totally surprising for yellows, I bought them for autocross, which is probably more what they are really designed for.

Good to know they might not hold up to a full track day.

ImolaR

Ready to race!
T17 kicked my arse on several occasions. Too bad to hear you moved up north, would have been fun to try to meet up at Daytona or Sebring.

Definitely would love the opportunity to try Lime Rock and Watkins Glenn.

Were you running OEM rotors?

It would have, I never saw another mk7 R there.

Yeah they were OEM rotors.