GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Tune: APR vs Unitronic vs Eurodyne

londonbridge

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a stock '17 GTI Sport. I don't like the stock DSG tune and almost always use the paddles. I'm looking at getting a DSG tune and am comparing APR, Unitronic, and Eurodyne. APR is the only one with a dealer close (1.5 hrs away), and I think I can do Unitronic or Eurodyne at home. Can anyone give input? I saw some older posts comparing APR with others and many people recommended Eurodyne over APR because APR still rushed to 6th, but then I also read some posts saying that APR may have adjusted that issue. Can anyone confirm? I don't race my car, just want better performance as my daily driver (hold gears longer, quick to downshift, etc). Also, I'm considering a stage 1 tune, but likely won't do it. I'll likely stay stock and just do DSG tune. Thanks.

ryohei47

Ready to race!
Depending on where you are, United Motorsport may also be an option. Their Stage 1 DSG tune is only $500 and would be fine with your power levels.

Isj

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
United motorsports, they have been doing DSG tunes far longer than those other 3.

londonbridge

Passed Driver's Ed
There are no United Motorsports dealers close to me. The closest one is about 4 hours away and it doesn't look like they have a DIY flash tool like some of the others, so at this point, they're not an option.

Last edited:

rg2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone done a DSG tune on a GTI by GIAC or Malone, on an otherwise untuned car? (I have a Malone DSG tune on my TDI, which also has Malone Stage 2 tune.)

This is my wife's DD.

Last edited:

londonbridge

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had three people recommend Unitronic and one recommend APR. Does anyone else have an opinion? I like that I can reflash to stock with Unitronic.

John@Unitronic

Go Kart Champion
I have a stock '17 GTI Sport. I don't like the stock DSG tune and almost always use the paddles. I'm looking at getting a DSG tune and am comparing APR, Unitronic, and Eurodyne. APR is the only one with a dealer close (1.5 hrs away), and I think I can do Unitronic or Eurodyne at home. Can anyone give input? I saw some older posts comparing APR with others and many people recommended Eurodyne over APR because APR still rushed to 6th, but then I also read some posts saying that APR may have adjusted that issue. Can anyone confirm? I don't race my car, just want better performance as my daily driver (hold gears longer, quick to downshift, etc). Also, I'm considering a stage 1 tune, but likely won't do it. I'll likely stay stock and just do DSG tune. Thanks.

You can enjoy the freedom to flash your TCU from the comfort of your own home or garage with Unitronic's UniConnect+.

With Unitronic DSG Software, D and S mode gear changes are optimized. D mode gear changes are calibrated to be an "eco" mode, oriented towards relaxed everyday driving styles. S mode gear changes are calibrated to ensure that it's sporty, without holding a single gear too long, as is the tendency with the OEM TCU calibration. Gear change speeds are decreased, resulting in a faster shift. Optional kickdown and manual mode automatic upshifts removal. Clutch pressures are increased if higher clutch pressures are required. Gear display is enabled for D- and S-modes. (i.e. - D1, D2, etc. & S1, S2, etc.) Adjustable Launch Control setpoints and dual launch control setpoints (by request). For the dual launch control, LC1 setpoint is engaged at 100% pedal position and LC2 setpoint is engaged by 110% pedal position (kickdown position).

I'd suggest you give our DSG Software a try for yourself. It really transforms the vehicle and significantly improves many quirks with the OEM TCU calibrations and better aligns itself with an upgraded vehicle with ECU performance software.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I have Uni and I'm very happy with it.

Have not driven an MK7 with another tune, however.

sutter2k

Passed Driver's Ed
You can enjoy the freedom to flash your TCU from the comfort of your own home or garage with Unitronic's UniConnect+.

With Unitronic DSG Software, D and S mode gear changes are optimized. D mode gear changes are calibrated to be an "eco" mode, oriented towards relaxed everyday driving styles. S mode gear changes are calibrated to ensure that it's sporty, without holding a single gear too long, as is the tendency with the OEM TCU calibration. Gear change speeds are decreased, resulting in a faster shift. Optional kickdown and manual mode automatic upshifts removal. Clutch pressures are increased if higher clutch pressures are required. Gear display is enabled for D- and S-modes. (i.e. - D1, D2, etc. & S1, S2, etc.) Adjustable Launch Control setpoints and dual launch control setpoints (by request). For the dual launch control, LC1 setpoint is engaged at 100% pedal position and LC2 setpoint is engaged by 110% pedal position (kickdown position).

I'd suggest you give our DSG Software a try for yourself. It really transforms the vehicle and significantly improves many quirks with the OEM TCU calibrations and better aligns itself with an upgraded vehicle with ECU performance software.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

How's mixing TCU tunes with other vendors ECU tunes? I have a stage 1 APR
tune w/intake + AWE catted dp. I plan to run the stage 2 tune at some point, but also want a TCU tune.

Would your TCU tune work fine with APR's ECU tunes?

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie

I don't have comparative information, but I can share my experience.

I have the APR TCU tune. I use the manual mode, paddles, virtually all of the time. I occasionally use the S mode. Almost never the D mode.
If I were to drive in the automated mode most of the time, I'd use the S mode. The tune takes care of the annoying stock S mode where every gear is to redline. Response time is quick, and it downshifts in the 2.5k rpm range, so you're mostly in the gear you'd want. In D mode, the upshifts are still aggressive to keep the RPMs down. Not as much as stock, but not much different.
Also, in the D and S modes, all of these tunes display the gear; which is much better than the stock U.S. spec (which seems to be "don't tell me anything, just let me press and point.").

For the manual mode, which I prefer, there are two settings that make it worthwhile. I'm sure you can have these settings addressed with any of the available TCU tunes.
a. Kickdown switch: Off. In the stock tune, when you press the go pedal past the detent, it automatically downshifts. I prefer to have it stay in the gear I've chosen.
b. Auto upshift at redline: Off. In the stock tune, the tranny will upshift at redline. I prefer to have it consistently stay in the gear I've chosen. If I hit redline, I'll get the fuel cut-off, so I need to pay attention to that. Nevertheless, I still prefer to know it will always be in the gear I've chosen.

Of course, in the manual mode, if you slow down and eventually stop, it will lower the gear automatically if you don't do anything with the paddles. No change there from stock.

For the manual mode, with any of the tuner options, you can also set a launch mode RPM.
And, with any of the options, left footed braking is enabled, which is another good reason for the TCU tune.
Finally, I think all of them increase clamping pressure, which is helpful should you decide to do an ECU tune or JB1/JB4 setup.

I'm fine with the APR TCU tune; don't have a reason to change it at this time. Even though you don't plan to do an ECU tune right now, it might be good to consider which path you'd take should you eventually do one, and use the TCU tune from the same company.
Best on your decision. Looking forward to your take on the TCU tune.

Last edited:

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't waste money on the Eurodyne DSG unless you're tuned with Eurodyne and want to only pay $375 to upgrade to be able to run higher power tunes. I think APR and UM is a good choice.

Amracer1

Ready to race!
i just did the eurodyne dsg tune and have to say i love it but i do have eurodyne ecu tune so they just might go well together

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
i just did the eurodyne dsg tune and have to say i love it but i do have eurodyne ecu tune so they just might go well together

Can you expand on this? Haha what changed that sold you on it?

I'm Eurodyne as well and contemplating it, it's hit or miss with reviews.

Amracer1

Ready to race!
i wanted to be able to do the high torque tune but the dsg tune is needed so i went ahead and got the dsg tune and now im very happy with how the car accelerates and shifts i will be going to dragstrip on friday to see what gains i got