GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

water meth question

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Hello everyone, I have an issue with my water meth injection , I'm running it on IS20 with FBO and everytime I fill 2L of water meth (50/50) it get empty after 10km of drive

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Check for leaks? Maybe the injector is leaking internally into the throttle pipe. That would scary. :eek:

I probably wouldn't use it to windshield wash if the mix is above a 50/50 mix though. It's flammable mang, it could stream down somewhere hot and flash.

So if the mix is below 50/50, ethanol to water content:

- Is it less flammable, in the event of a crash

- Is the mixture still worth it, from a performance standpoint

Seeing that no one has an answer, I will assume this is unsafe, at any mixture level.

Last edited:

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

Ton

Go Kart Newbie

No. It's just complex to answer quickly.

Under 50 50 is much less flammable. Remember that washer fluid is already methanol and water. So you are are already part way to danger town with your stock car. Low temp winter blends of washer fluid can be just over 30% meth.

Is 50/50 worth it? Is injection worth it at all? It depends. On a stock car, less so. Depends on how hard you run and how hot it is.

With a tuned car it also depends. User, "Breaking Badly " saw a big temp drop but his ecu cut boost way down, so he saw no gain. Do all tunes do that? I don't know. Why did his do that? I don't know.

If you have a Jb4 setup, stacking or just JB4 you can see big gains. Because you can up the boost to take advantage of the lower intake air temp and higher ignition advance.

Or with APR for example, you could run a 100 octane file on 93. I'm sure they don't officially advocate for this, but it can be done.

My gut feeling is that everyone will benefit from a small nozzle 50/50 spray. Just like everyone will benefit from a better intercooler or good gas or a nice cool day.

Some people have shared successive logs with stage 1 or 2 cars. You can see that sometimes overall timing is down or an individual cylinder has it's timing pulled. No big deal. This is normal. But with a properly setup system, maybe you will have full timing all the time with no pull? Plus, cooler intake air. Full power all the time regardless of how many pulls or what the temp is outside.

With injection you get cooler charge temp, cooler combustion chamber temp and that ads up to a more dense charge with less tendency do detonate. Whether you can make more power or not lies in the details.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
+1

There are charts online listing the flash point of mix, but 50/50 is usually your best option for a street car.

As mentioned most benefits are decreasing IATs. It's not much of an octane booster unless you have a nozzle post-throttle body. I think part of the issue breaking bad had was completely normal. Lower IATs mean denser charge and less boost to meet the target. What didn't seem right is the power loss on top. Having something you can turn up the boost (ED adjustable file/Maestro, Cobb protune or Jb4) gives you room to add more power since IATs are lowered.

That's my very quick answer but Ton touched on it well!

Great feedback, guys.

I am currently Stage 2 Unitronic GTI, with the stock intercooler.

Based off of this info, do you recommend I keep the stock intercooler and stack with JB4, use 50/50 meth mixture in the windshield washer reservoir, and possibly add some E85?

Or is it better to just upgrade the intercooler. Budget only allows for one, at the time. :/

Sorry bluekid99 for highjacking this thread! No more after this, sir.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Great feedback, guys.

I am currently Stage 2 Unitronic GTI, with the stock intercooler.

Based off of this info, do you recommend I keep the stock intercooler and stack with JB4, use 50/50 meth mixture in the windshield washer reservoir, and possibly add some E85?

Or is it better to just upgrade the intercooler. Budget only allows for one, at the time. :/

Upgrade your IC why the hell would you stack more boost on the stock IC? You're asking for the turbo to work harder. Get a FMIC to make things easier then get W/M or JB4 whatever you want after. I ran a IS38 for two weeks before installing my IC .... here is the log file lol IAT were like 100F on a E30 blend and 75F ambient temp day on only 1 hard run from 0-110 mph. http://datazap.me/u/mk7gtl/mk7-gti-is38?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-5-6-8-9-10-12

Upgrade your IC why the hell would you stack more boost on the stock IC? You're asking for the turbo to work harder. Get a FMIC to make things easier then get W/M or JB4 whatever you want after. I ran a IS38 for two weeks before installing my IC .... here is the log file lol IAT were like 100F on a E30 blend and 75F ambient temp day on only 1 hard run from 0-110 mph. http://datazap.me/u/mk7gtl/mk7-gti-is38?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-5-6-8-9-10-12

Budget only allows for one or the other, and Unitronic's Stage 2 boost levels are significantly lower than the next tuner.

Either way, it seems like upgrading the intercooler is the way to go. Thanks.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie

Methanol injection on top of the stock intercooler is fine. Our stock intercooler has okay pressure drop. Intercooler is great though.

Intercooler and meth is amazing combo. Below ambient temps are possible as a few have shown.

For the truly brave, use no intercooler and just injection. Almost no pressure drop. But you use lots of fluid. And of your system goes down. You're toast.

Last edited:

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
+1

There are charts online listing the flash point of mix, but 50/50 is usually your best option for a street car.

As mentioned most benefits are decreasing IATs. It's not much of an octane booster unless you have a nozzle post-throttle body. I think part of the issue breaking bad had was completely normal. Lower IATs mean denser charge and less boost to meet the target. What didn't seem right is the power loss on top. Having something you can turn up the boost (ED adjustable file/Maestro, Cobb protune or Jb4) gives you room to add more power since IATs are lowered.

That's my very quick answer but Ton touched on it well!

Thanks. I would say though that you do still get some octane benefit. No matter where you evaporate the methanol, it's still going to be burned in the combustion chamber. And the water is doing it's thing to raise your effective octane by quenching the combustion process.

The best setup though is injecting at more than one point.

50/50 is the a great balance of effectiveness and safety for regular folk. But if you have a good setup and are in control of things, higher alcohol % is the king of power.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

It is less flammable as you increase water content and decrease methanol content. 50/50 is considered very safe and the amount you are carrying is not large like a gas tank and the solution is dilute.

Is the mixture worth it? Well not much info to go off here so I can only say that as you decrease below 50/50 you decrease overall effectivness. The closer you get to just spraying water ..... makes it less helpful.

It's great hearing all these perspectives, even though some are conflicting. I guess that's what these discussions are for. Keep up the good work.

That being said, I'm back to thinking I can benefit by adding meth injection and running E20-30, stacking JB4 with the stock intercooler, based off of the latest responses.

I would love adding an upgraded intercooler as well, but that adds $1k, easy, and it's hard to justify, especially if I can get amazing yet safe results without it.