GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official MK7 Muffler Delete FAQ/Review Thread

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
Do you still have the resonator? Or did you delete that as well? Sounds good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. And thanks, I'm really happy with how it turned out. Every gear change results in super satisfying gurgles and pops from the exhaust [emoji7]

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Yes. And thanks, I'm really happy with how it turned out. Every gear change results in super satisfying gurgles and pops from the exhaust [emoji7]

That is until you get an aftermarket DP - then it will be crazy loud no?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Yes, when the waste gate is open (driving slow around town, no call for boost) it's like a straight piped Honda Civic. I drove with my catted dp and muffler delete for a week and dreaded driving in traffic

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion

Yeah if I ever get a DP I'll probably have to put the muffler back on. Won't be for a while anywho

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
How hard is it to do? Just a Y pipe and some tips? Total cost? How loud in cabin?

Pacman91

Passed Driver's Ed
I just did my delete last week on my 1.8 with piping from the parts store. Total cost was about $55 CAD and took about 2 hours with the rear on ramps. I love the sound but I'm going to try and find ways of removing the extra drone in car when mild driving or on hwy at 2-2.5k rpm. I also have had a catless cts dp on the car for months so that increases the sound of the delete.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
If you remove the heat shield it'll sound better inside the car. I did it, as well as others with good results
Took a while but I finally removed the heat shield. It did make a difference. It doesn't resonate inside as bad as it was before going 60-70 MPH. I even measured the dB with a sound meter over the same stretch of the road going to work. The dB's were lower which what I was hoping for. Thanks again for the advice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hey all,

Bringing this back to the top to hopefully get some concrete info since poking around between multiple threads is leading to some varying numbers. I'm looking to leave the resonator and delete the suitcase muffler on the cheap using some eBay parts. I'd like to just show up to my muffler guy and drop off the stuff, show him some photos of previous ones, and get it completed.

I'm looking at these items:
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-2-5-...-Y-Pipe-Aluminized-Dual-Exhaust-/351620577739

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Stain...2-Inlet-4-Outlet-5-Long-JST139K-/182357416361

Should this work? Do you all recommend just removing the heat shield immediately? Any repercussions to removing the heat shield? I'm guessing no, since it's probably just there because of the muffler in the first place.

anjoVW

Ready to race!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Hey all,

Bringing this back to the top to hopefully get some concrete info since poking around between multiple threads is leading to some varying numbers. I'm looking to leave the resonator and delete the suitcase muffler on the cheap using some eBay parts. I'd like to just show up to my muffler guy and drop off the stuff, show him some photos of previous ones, and get it completed.

I'm looking at these items:
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-2-5-...-Y-Pipe-Aluminized-Dual-Exhaust-/351620577739

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Stain...2-Inlet-4-Outlet-5-Long-JST139K-/182357416361

Should this work? Do you all recommend just removing the heat shield immediately? Any repercussions to removing the heat shield? I'm guessing no, since it's probably just there because of the muffler in the first place.

Those will work fine. I'd go ahead and remove the heat shield while the muffler is off, before adding the new piping just for ease of access

Just got it done on my Golf TSI 1.8t, and it didn't come out as loud as people warned me about, especially as the GTI. Any theories as to why?

Video sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erBjm148g9I

Because sound is very subjective and some people are sensitive. Sounds like a muffler delete to me

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Hey all, need to pass my situation through a sanity filter. I'm looking into doing a muffler delete and I've been calling around to a few muffler shops in the area. I've seen others say they have been able to get deletes and straight pipes done for $80 to $100 before tips. The lowest I've been able to get is $250 before tips, and that includes labor as well as fabbing the Y splitter and mandrel work. Are the $80 to $100 for one pipe only? Are the prices I'm getting fair or too much?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I charge $450 for 3" mandrel bent 304L stainless, complete clamp to tips. So it just depends on materials used.

For typical muffler shop 2.5" mild steel/booger welds/non mandrel bends $100 and up is typical. So that's the high and low ends of you get what you pay for

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
I charge $450 for 3" mandrel bent 304L stainless, complete clamp to tips. So it just depends on materials used.

For typical muffler shop 2.5" mild steel/booger welds/non mandrel bends $100 and up is typical. So that's the high and low ends of you get what you pay for

I know this muffler shop specializes in aftermarket modifications and they don't do shoddy work. So it sounds like my estimate isn't too bad.

I've read up on your bolt-on muffler delete. What's the lead time on that, and does 450 include shipping?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Right now I'm not building any, been working my real job 60-70 hours a week. I have another baby on the way so probably won't get to it in 2017 unfortunately