GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WIX oil Filter WL10024

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
So, it's somewhat funny in light of this discussion, it appears Mann has aquired Wix: https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/corp...]=1009&cHash=60095371cb8410789277eb745dab72a6

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Generally that means they want to layer their product hierarchy and access varied markets.

Mann Filter wants to position their brand at the top end with Mahle and Hengst, whereas they now also have a brand they can compete with Purolator, M1, Fram in the mid/low tiers.

Brands are just that, brands. I used STP filters in my 07 Rabbit, because they were simply relabeled Mann filters.

Mann, Mahle, and Hengst are different because they're OE for the German cars, as well as the fact they work with the designers of major auto constructors.

Wix may have had a similar history, but assuming that its the same level nowadays might not be the most prudent thing.

Again, you're saving what - $2 a year? I personally would pay the extra and get the Mann/Mahle filter when I order my oil from amazon.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
I understand the branding aspect of this, but as I've stated I've got actual lab results on my engine oil which show similar performance. Marketing something as superior does not make it superior.

I drive 25,000 miles a year and do 5,000-7,500 intervals, so I'm doing at least 4 oil changes a year. Not that the extra few bucks really matter, I couldn't care less. But I'm not going to buy something premium just because it's more expensive.

I'd be willing to change my mind with actual chemical or statistical evidence, but I haven't found anything except anecdotes on a few forums from people who aren't mechanical or chemical engineers. (I have friends and family members who are that I can ask though)

"Peace of mind" isn't as important to me as it is to you, and that's perfectly ok. There is a wide range of people here, each with our own goals.

If I was going to worry about warranty, I would have bought something faster to begin with. But this was a nice compromise for me because I enjoy modifying cars (previously E30 and E36 BMWs) but want something cheaper to run and that I can daily. And in the unlikely event the engine explodes, I have the ability to replace it.

Grenading a newer turbo straight six, however, is game set match. And last I checked BMWs still blow out rear main seals like they are birthday pinatas.

Anyway, I respect your methods and cast no judgement, cheers [emoji482]

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Oh man, the timing advance we could get if we could run leaded gasoline [emoji48]

Sweet, sweet knock protection.

Do you have an UOA where you used the same oil/interval but used an OE Mann filter?

Curious if there would be a difference, then we can draw definitive conclusions.

I doubt there'll be significant differences visible in UOAs between OE style filters
made by OEMs when fitted properly. Does it really matter if you have 4 or 7 ppm
of silicon present in your oil when you don't even know if that's some sand dust or
just a residue of sealant?
Contrarily I am convinced there are actual differences between OE/OE style filters
and some aftermarket air filter solutions, since many of them provide poor filtration,
that are clearly showing up in UOAs.
Perhaps I feel a bittiness better with a Mann oil filter, however I certainly wouldn't
lose sleep over a filter made by Wix.

On a side note:
No lead please. Leaded fuel has been one of the reasons for exhaust corrosion. :(

Last edited:

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Do you have an UOA where you used the same oil/interval but used an OE Mann filter?

Curious if there would be a difference, then we can draw definitive conclusions.
I do, but I unfortunately used different oil (OE Castrol vs LiquiMoly) and a different interval so it would be hard to draw conclusions. If you see the image I posted earlier in the thread, it's the 10,000 mile interval. The Wix/LiquiMoly is the 7,500 interval. I'm sending another analysis in next week and I'll post that when I get it back.

phaphaphooey

Ready to race!
I doubt there'll be significant differences visible in UOAs between OE style filters
of silicon present in your oil when you don't even know if that's some sand dust or
Contrarily I am convinced there are actual differences between OE/OE style filters
and some aftermarket air filter solutions, since many of them provide poor filtration,
Perhaps I feel a bittiness better with a Mann oil filter, however I certainly wouldn't
lose sleep over a filter made Wix.

On a side note:
No lead please. Leaded fuel has been one of the reasons for exhaust corrosion. :(

Agreed that any difference in filtration efficiency in oil filters is academic at best and will not produce a noticeable difference in engine wear for much longer than the average owner will own the car (if ever). However, I obsess over these things and cannot help myself. :eek:

As my personal conclusion, if you worry about engine wear, use a stock air filter,
change it frequently and do the same with your oil. Avoid 'open' intakes and other
aftermarket garbage.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
lose sleep over a filter made by Wix.

On a side note:

It's not an oil thread unless you're splitting hairs at an atomic level, all the while personally insulting other users' choice in oil brands.

surfstar

Ready to race!
I had to use a WIX last night, as my stash of Mahle/Mann/Hengst had run out. Local store had a WIX for $8.50, so I went with it.

I prefer the non-plastic end caps. *shrug*

To save money on oil changes, buy M1 0w40 right now for $22.88/5qt get $12 rebate. Repeat.

Oh, and I am stock, 1.8TSI and don't drive hard, so 10k intervals also makes sense (and cents).

dah90

Ready to race!
Well, I finally decided to go ahead and stock up for my next oil change. Oreilly auto had a deal going 5qts castrol edge and a wix filter for $33.99. Of course I had to buy an extra quart to make it six. Total was $45 after tax. I still need to go to the dealership to get a drain plug. I'm not going to sweat the small stuff on the filter not being oem. My father has used wix for years on his tdi with almost 300,000k miles and has never had any filtration related issues. Thank you everybody in this thread for an interesting and somewhat informative discussion!