GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 / Golf Alltrack newbie thread

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
Preparing for install!

I watched this video and I'm feeling a bit more comfortable - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84rsMrtoztc

I have a JB4 with the wireless connector installed. I have the iOS app installed.

I'd like to confirm the following:

1) I need 91 octane (93 is whats available here) in the tank
2) It should default to map 1 - although i wish I could verify this before install
3) map 6 is custom - what about all the other maps? what are they for?
4) I should grab a couple of posi-taps. Which gauge?
5) ODB cable. Does it do anything I need? I suspect not.

After install, I should drive it for a bit and make sure everything is working well. Then I can consider increasing boost.

I took a look at the iOS app. It looks like a lot of setting are either ignorable OR something you'd revisit after some experience.

---

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Could an experienced JB4-er or two weigh in?

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
1. Run 93 if it is available by you. It makes a difference
2. It should be on map 1, but you should really use the app or hook up a laptop with the data cable.
3. Map 6 is one you customize. Map 2 is a little more aggressive than map 1. Map 4 is a pass through for logging stock settings. Map 0 is basically off. The rest are future use or meth control.
4. I didn't need any additional posi taps other than what came with it.
5. OBD is 100% necessary. It will default to a safety setting of +3 when its unplugged

If you are setting it up to use the JB4 app, then definitely use it to log. This is the only true way to see what your car is doing and if something is either wrong or right. I'd personally like to know what's going on with the added boost

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
The JB4 comes with all the connectors your need. If you do not do the blue wire and OBD-2 connector it will basically act like a JB1 like TwinDad already mentioned (+3 instead of +4.8).

If you are buying it new, it will have map1 by default (+4.8psi). If you are buying it used you should confirm what map it was previously running or use a laptop to log into it with the free software they offer just to be sure.

You will definitely want the JB4 app for Android if you plan on doing any logs or tuning. Using the laptop software is a nightmare IMO.

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
>It should be on map 1, but you should really use the app or hook up a laptop with the data cable.

Whats the best way to do this? I assume the JB4 needs power. Turn on the car and let it idle, check the config before pressing the gas?

>>If you are buying it used you should confirm what map it was previously running

I bought used. I should verify that I received what I was promised. It has the bluetooth setup so i'm fairly certain that its a JB4 (vs JB1). I didn't get the ODB cable. I'll have to ask about that.

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
The JB4 turns on immediately upon you starting your engine, it is powered through its harness.

If you bought a JB4 it will come with the OBD-2 cable/dongle hanging out its main harness as well as a blue wire with a self-tap terminal so you can tap into the O2 sensor coming off the turbo. If this is missing it is a JB1 most likely. The JB1 also has an additional plug on its harness. (which you don't use for a 1.8TSI anyways)

You can pry the case open to see what the chipboard says. Mine has "Burger Motorsports JB4_x55 Rev 3.0" printed on the top of its board.

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
WOOHOO! INSTALLED!

Lessons -

1. Routing cables carefully is worthwhile and might take a few attempts...but not necessary.
2. On the alltrack you need to remove the under engine cover. Looked intimidating at first but wasn't that bad.
3. Pay careful attention to how the latch mechanisms on the cable connectors work. Pulling won't do anything if you don't have the latch out of the way.

Took me about an hour to install and it was pretty much my first time under the hood of a car.

I took the car for a little spin. AAAHH...sooo nice! I'm just getting started but I can feel the improvement. Soooo satisfying!

Questions:

1. I've heard that I should watch the oil temp before being too strenuous on the engine. What temp should I look for? Is this really a worry on standard roadways or is it more of a track concern?

2. Can I go to map 2 right away?? I should mention that I have 3/4 tank 93 octane, 1/4 87 octane. greater than 91 based on an online calculator. should be full 93 by the end of the weekend.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
WOOHOO! INSTALLED!

Lessons -

1. Routing cables carefully is worthwhile and might take a few attempts...but not necessary.
2. On the alltrack you need to remove the under engine cover. Looked intimidating at first but wasn't that bad.
3. Pay careful attention to how the latch mechanisms on the cable connectors work. Pulling won't do anything if you don't have the latch out of the way.

Took me about an hour to install and it was pretty much my first time under the hood of a car.

I took the car for a little spin. AAAHH...sooo nice! I'm just getting started but I can feel the improvement. Soooo satisfying!

Questions:

1. I've heard that I should watch the oil temp before being too strenuous on the engine. What temp should I look for? Is this really a worry on standard roadways or is it more of a track concern?

2. Can I go to map 2 right away?? I should mention that I have 3/4 tank 93 octane, 1/4 87 octane. greater than 91 based on an online calculator. should be full 93 by the end of the weekend.

Any time you drive you should get oil up to atleast 180F before you boost up.
I just drive in auto comfort until 180F. Then switch to manual sport.
Can not answer stave 2 right away but I would get tank full 93 before.
When you hook up piggy back make sure you drive conservatively for 20 miles while it learns. Drive what you have for a tank full and by then someone will answer your JB4 question.
Enjoy.

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
I've read nearly the whole big jb4 thread over here - http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26671

1) I should do some logging. Its my guess that I need to wait until I'm on full 93 octane. (currently migrating from 87 to 93. last fill was done with about 20% 87 remaining)

2) Log while in low 3rd gear, floor it until in 4th and record a bit in 4th.

3) Logging from Map 4 (logging only) would be a good idea to know my engine's baseline.

4) Then I could log from Map 1, Map 2, or Map 6 with http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=472296&postcount=700 - kinda seems like its my choice, I don't want to push too much but don't want to leave anything on the table...

5) Post the results and discuss.

6) There are a number of acronyms I'm unfamiliar with - FOP, AFR...and probably others. What do they mean?

7) I'm uncertain what to look for in my logs. I understand that 'pulling timing' is bad but i'm not sure what to look for. Perhaps this is okay, as I suspect some of this is just verifying things look normal.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
First, before anything, you said it didn't come with an OBD cable above. Does it still not have an OBD cable? Because if it doesn't that's a problem.

Aside from that, the important things you want to know are as follows:

Boost: Pressure in PSI above ambient at your intake manifold (after the turbo and intercooler, immediately before it goes into the piston).

iat: The intake air temperature after the turbo and intercooler. To make a safe tune do your logging at a high IAT because a high IAT is essentially worst case scenario. You will make a lot more power with a lower IAT.

ign_1: Your average ignition timing. You'll want to establish a baseline with this in map 4 and if it begins to deviate significantly from your baseline it's either because you've pushed the boost too far or the intake temperature is very high. A drop in this is a drop in power, so adding boost while this is dropping is bad all around.

trims: This is a complicated thing involving fueling. Basically if this gets into the 40's then your engine isn't able to supply enough fuel and you'll want to increase your Fuel Open Loop (FOL) setting (don't go above 70) in the JB4.

afr: Air to fuel ratio. Generally this isn't much of a concern on our cars as the engine does a good job of managing it, but if the trims get too high as above then you might see a spike in the AFR which is bad.

ign_2 - 5: These are the individual timing corrections for each cylinder. You generally don't want more than a few blips of these here and there, and if you ever see any of these get over 2 then that's not good.

If some of that went over your head, but you still want to do a custom map 6, then I recommend contacting George. He will walk you through the whole process step by step and knows exactly how to get you with a safe and powerful map.