GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wait for 2018 GTI, or value shop 2017's now?

Nsknick

Ready to race!
I'm stuck between 17 Sport or SE. Does everyone with sunroofs have problems with them? Which interior will hold up the best over time? Fender sub or go JL Audio? Decisions...

I personally would go with the Sport. Really break down the difference between the SE and the Sport and see if the differences make a huge impact on how you drive the vehicle.

KevinGTI

I went with the SE because the interior is so much higher quality in my opinion. Everything from the seats to the arm rests on the doors feels so much higher quality. My sunroof hasn't had any issues at all but I'm only 300 miles in. I figure my warranty will fix any squeaking or other issues I have until it's sorted if that becomes an issue.

Forcecilia

Passed Driver's Ed
I got 2017 gti SE for $27000. MSRP was $34000. Oh yeah that $27000 was also otd which means $27000 was my final price which included tax, registration and etc. 2018 has basically same power in US. Ill go with 2017. 2019 will come out next year anyways why dont you save $6000 to $7000? You can get a s3 turbo also haha.

Forcecilia

Passed Driver's Ed
I completely agree with this! I'm picking up a 2017 GTI Sport for around $22,500 before tax/title and fees (Around $1400 for taxes and title fees), and a $299 dealer fee. Plus I'll be adding the new tail lights in time. Not worth it to pay the premium for a minor face lift, imho. To each their own!

I got 17 gti se dsg for $27000 otd ( including taxes, registration, and license).bought back in may. Emailed all of dmv VW dealers and i let them fight for my money. Ourisman VW Bethesda offered $27000 OTD so I took it.

Matthader

I got 17 gti se dsg for $27000 otd ( including taxes, registration, and license).bought back in may. Emailed all of dmv VW dealers and i let them fight for my money. Ourisman VW Bethesda offered $27000 OTD so I took it.

Do you recall what price was before TTL? In Ga we have really high gov VAT and sales tax.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I was able to get my VW Wolfsburg edition golf for $18k before tax and fees, right when the new 2017 models were coming out. I guess with the right timing and good enough bargaining skills you can pull it off for a new one. I kind of tricked the dealer on financing... lol. They took an additional 2k off for financing through them (at a higher rate like 4.5 or 6% or something) and told me I can't refinance for 12 months minimum... I went along with it and refinanced through NFCU 2 days after picking up the car at like 2.5% and went on my merry way.. lol

gti211

Passed Driver's Ed
Currently looking to get a 2017 6spd Gti S model the highest discount I have been offered was $5100 and this was on a lease in South Florida. I wanted the sport but with the discounts I have been getting its not going to be within my budget range on a buy. Not going to pay over $400 a month on a lease would rather buy it.

codered911

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK8
I am very pleased with my 17 Sport and cannot stress enough to get the best deal you can. Sticker was 30k and you can get them in the low/mid 20's. I would imagine the new ones with 30k sticker will prob go close to that or a few grand under.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
The front end of the 18's are UGLY IMO...I want to find a nice 17 Sport and in fact there is one near me for $25k right now. Now I have to justify selling/trading my 2010 GTI.

sixtyfour

New user, first post!

I'm shopping for a new car and the GTI is a very attractive option. While looking at the GTIs at a local dealership, I noticed the 2018 Tiguan and the new Atlas have 6-year/72k warranties. Is there any expectation that the new Golf/GTIs will have the same?

I've asked around, searched the web and thumbed through magazines and all anecdotal evidence so far says, "no".

lokerola

Ready to race!
I'm torn between waiting for a 2018 Golf R or Autobahn, or finding a deal on a '17 Autobahn. I'd prefer the R except for its lack of a sunroof, a nice thing to have where I live. Cosmetics aside, are there more reasons to wait on an '18 Autobahn than the LED headlights and better NAV screen?
It kind of kills me the R doesn't have a sunroof in the US.

Well, I have a sunroof on my Autobahn and I've problems with it. It started squeaking bad at 9000 miles. The dealer mostly fixed it under TSB. It will still squeak if you go over a big speed-bump sideways, really torquing the car. And the screen thingy rattles a bit, depending on where you've opened it to.

Pretty ridiculous design if you ask me. Auto makers have been making flawless, inside the roof-panel sunroofs for years. I've had lots of cars with sunroofs and never had an issue until I got the VW. Hell, even my old 97 Jetta had a sunroof, and it was perfect.

Anyway, I'd take an R, or even a base S without the sunroof before buying a GTI with their crap sunroof design.

Last edited:

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I wish people would stop using OTD pricing.

Everyone's taxes and fees vary wildly.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
New user, first post!

I'm shopping for a new car and the GTI is a very attractive option. While looking at the GTIs at a local dealership, I noticed the 2018 Tiguan and the new Atlas have 6-year/72k warranties. Is there any expectation that the new Golf/GTIs will have the same?

I've asked around, searched the web and thumbed through magazines and all anecdotal evidence so far says, "no".

VW wants a break through in the already strong SUV market and that the reason for this warranty for SUVs. You might not see this with 2018 Golfs.