GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7R springs on GTI

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Hey all, I've been struggling to find an answer to this online anywhere. I know the R has slightly lower and stiffer springs (or at least that's what i read), but does anyone know by how much? I'm wondering how handling would be affected by the R springs on the GTI. If What I'm thinking is correct, it'll introduce more understeer, but be a lot firmer. With the addition of a thicker rear anti-sway bar, I'm guessing the car would become more balanced but still have enough stiffness in the rear springs to get on power earlier.

Next year I plan to get RSE10s in 18x8.5 with a 255/35 tire, so I want a bit more camber in the front, as well as more stiffness. I'm looking at different spring options since I have DCC and it should partially compensate for added stiffness, but I might eventually go the coilover route. I've looked at the KW DDC and waiting to see what Bilstein comes up with for factory integration.

Has anyone weighed similar options and actually tried any of the above? particularly the R springs on the GTI.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Good luck telling the difference, if there even is any.

If you're thinking coilovers just do it and be done, I'd never waste my time and money going from stock to stock

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Good luck telling the difference, if there even is any.

If you're thinking coilovers just do it and be done, I'd never waste my time and money going from stock to stock

That's fair. I just want to keep a similar ride height to stock since I scrape sometimes as is, and want to keep the factory DCC integration for a dual purpose car.

Sidenote, for anyone wondering about the KW DDC, I finally got some clear information from KW engineers on the phone. I had to pull some teeth with those guys to get a straight answer! Basically, the DDC system does not change the balance of the car, the springs are variable (and they refuse to state rates, but they say the rates are close to what the V1 are), and the system is not designed for any track use at all.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion