GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone autox'ing a 1.8 TSI golf or gsw?

Kennedy

I will be starting april 23! just ordered up new wheels and tires and coil-overs. Hoping to do sway bars and links at the same time! I will keep you posted how it goes! Last year I took my golf on Tail of the Dragon with just springs and stock tires this year will be a huge improvement!

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I will be starting april 23! just ordered up new wheels and tires and coil-overs. Hoping to do sway bars and links at the same time! I will keep you posted how it goes! Last year I took my golf on Tail of the Dragon with just springs and stock tires this year will be a huge improvement!
excellent!
We take our weather for granted here in the South. can't imagine waiting waiting for spring. Let us know how it goes.

Sent from mobile

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Last weekend I had another event with the same instructor in my previous post. We both did 7 runs and drove together.

Guy did a great job assessing himself after each run and explaining what he would try next. In the end, he managed to top my best by three seconds (50ish times).

My conclusion is I need not hurry upgrading my tires, shocks etc as driving skill has plenty of room for improvement. Was going to upgrade tires soon, think I'll just flip them instead.

Sent from mobile

joofcorn

Ready to race!
Great to see someone out there with a wagon. Recently got an Alltrack and really want to autox it since the GTI I used to own got T boned before I was able to get it to an autox event. Wasn't sure if I was the only person with a wagon who wanted to.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Great to see someone out there with a wagon. Recently got an Alltrack and really want to autox it since the GTI I used to own got T boned before I was able to get it to an autox event. Wasn't sure if I was the only person with a wagon who wanted to.
do it!
and...look ahead, turn early :)

Sent from mobile

rexneffect

Ready to race!
Last weekend I had another event with the same instructor in my previous post. We both did 7 runs and drove together.

Guy did a great job assessing himself after each run and explaining what he would try next. In the end, he managed to top my best by three seconds (50ish times).

My conclusion is I need not hurry upgrading my tires, shocks etc as driving skill has plenty of room for improvement. Was going to upgrade tires soon, think I'll just flip them...

Great, great conclusion!!
I've never seen anybody actually follow this advice that almost every experienced person gives! Way to listen to the people who've been there! Burn up what you've got first. I'd probably get some cheap/decent summers and put the all seasons back for the winter, though, just cause that's too tempting and mm self control.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Great, great conclusion!!
I've never seen anybody actually follow this advice that almost every experienced person gives! Way to listen to the people who've been there! Burn up what you've got first. I'd probably get some cheap/decent summers and put the all seasons back for the winter, though, just cause that's too tempting and mm self control.
yeah it is tempting and I reserve the right to change my mind, but I'll try to stick to the flip plan.

Sent from mobile

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
without camber adjustment up front, autox is hard on outside edges (front / back)

Sent from mobile

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
It looks like you got off easy with the sidewall wear. When I was autoxing with the all seasons I was getting marks all the way past the brand letters. and the outside edge looked like a chainsaw had been taken to it. You must be at a much smoother location than I was.

I was at another driftcross/autocross last weekend and there was a much better selection of cars there than a month ago. The STI's/WRX's I had known from last season were back and there was even a lotus elise. This time I placed right in the pack of WRX's, 0.2s behind the fastest WRX which was a rally preped STI and ~0.2s in front of the 2nd fastest WRX which just had slicks and suspension. The lotus made fools of us all being nearly 3 seconds faster than everyone else. I am extremely happy with my mods, and this is clear evidence that they are working well. The only thing I'm really missing is tires to match the WRX's, as I'm on sub $300 summer tires right now :p. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DThbHhUIDk8&ab_channel=MeltedSolid

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
great pics, thanks for posting [emoji106]

no pics this week but ran another event last Sunday. Slower speed parking lot at the Tampa Dog Track but still plenty of fun. Ran in the first group, which meant sweeping the dirt off for the later groups.

This event finished off my all seasons. Fronts started to chunk off with the rough asphalt. Wasn't expecting to kill this set so quickly, so yesterday and today went online tire shopping and bought a set of Kumho TA71 195/65r15 at simpletire.com for $31 shipped / tire, after $60 rebate.

Originally hoped to move on to more aggressive compounds on next set, but this will buy me some more seat time/training at a cheap price.

okay not my pic but here's a "photo finish" from the event:

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

rexneffect

Ready to race!
great pics, thanks for posting [emoji106]

This event finished off my all seasons. Fronts started to chunk off with the rough asphalt. Wasn't expecting to kill this set so quickly, so yesterday and today went online tire shopping and bought a set of Kumho TA71 195/65r15 at simpletire.com for $31 shipped / tire, after $60 rebate.

Originally hoped to move on to more aggressive compounds on next set, but this will buy me some more seat time/training at a cheap price.

Aww man! 15" Re71r for sale I'm sure could be for a great price. Can you return the kumhos :)?
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=8616378

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Wrong size anyway I guess.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
thanks !
will stick w the as tires for.a while longer.

did see federal evo 195/55/15 on amazon for 66 per tire shipped. next time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk