GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb AP or stick with unitronic

jacincm

Ready to race!
Cobb should be the main option for everyone imo. The ability to switch between maps with a device that can be kept in your car. The ability to store different maps whether it be from Cobb, MAP, or an etuner. You can log data on the fly as well. All for an affordable price that can be sold after you get rid of the car.

Cobb/JB4 for the value and customization alone.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Cobb should be the main option for everyone imo. The ability to switch between maps with a device that can be kept in your car. The ability to store different maps whether it be from Cobb, MAP, or an etuner. You can log data on the fly as well. All for an affordable price that can be sold after you get rid of the car.

Cobb/JB4 for the value and customization alone.

Devils advocate; have they spent thousands of dollars on R&D specific to our platform testing what works best and does not (Cobb)?

I don't think this is the best option and their dyno's show that.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I think it is a tough choice if you are stock and starting out. If you already have a flash tune I think it would be a mistake to spend more money just to get something pro-tuned to eek out a few more HP. The HP/$ ratio goes wayyyy down. As most have said, stick with Uni. If you need that every last bit of power then stack and add meth. Or take that chunk of change you would have spent and go IS38.

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
While the thought of a pro tune is great, I think with our ECU, and it being highly adaptive, the benefits of a pro tune compared to a pro tune on a subaru is not as drastic. I would stay uni and stack personally. You will get as much if not more jam out of her then going cobb IMO

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I swear some of you kids have large gaping holes in your wallets. Never satisfied and the grass is always greener... Carry on. Lol.

Word of advice, don't even flash your car, it will make you very angry that you didn't do it earlier.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
This is nothing. Look at the people who buy a GTI and then trade it in on an R less than a year later. Hemorrhaging money.

I know a guy who bought an R, went stage 2 with clutch, sold it because he hated the manual so much, then bought a new R and had it built at Iroz Motorsports in Vegas.

Full e85 with a tune from UM and supporting fuel mods, built block and DSG, put down over 700bhp on the dyno yesterday.

When it was in Michigan we lowered it and put his APR brake kit on, he gets it back in a week or two from Iroz, cant wait to ride in it.

jacincm

Ready to race!
Devils advocate; have they spent thousands of dollars on R&D specific to our platform testing what works best and does not (Cobb)?

If you're buying the AP for Cobb's OTS map, you're wasting your money. You're buying it for the hardware and their capabilities.

Buy the Cobb AP from MAP at a discounted rate WITH their custom stage 1 map and you're at APR numbers for cheaper. Plus, you have the added capability to flash other maps or revert back to stock. All while being able to sell the unit in the future.

Hexxum001

Ready to race!

I don't think you fully understand the benefits of a Cobb AP. Cobb OTS tunes for EVERY platform are very lackluster and conservative and Cobb has done years and years of R&D on other platforms. Has that stopped Subie guys from raving about it? No, because you don't buy a Cobb AP for it's OTS tunes. If you do that, you just wasted your money. The whole point of getting the Cobb AP is the versatility it gives you to e tune/pro-tune and have multiple tunes stored on your AP and the ability to switch between maps in a matter of 30 - 60 seconds. The AP can also read codes and clear them for you. Not to mention the logging capabilities of the AP. No other tuning option at this moment gives you as much as the Cobb AP does.

In the case of the OP however, if he is willing to lose the money that he spent on his Uni tune, then he should switch. But honestly, at this point he is better putting his money into other things to improve his car.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
^^^^ pretty much

When I got my first accessport in 2009, I looked at cobb ots maps and they were ok...but nothing to brag about. Then you would see the protuned guys and be like Ohhhhh lol
Idk if its because Cobb wanted to be careful back then with the ej25, those ringlands like GOOD gas and solid tunes, and or they wanted to leave room on the table to make money and give customers a powerful protune. Today hasnt changed much. On all their platforms, the ots maps offer you a modest increase in power. So you havd to go protune for max potential. Like it was said, ithe AP has lots of capabilities and is very user friendly.

That being said. Id say stick to the Uni. Go is38. Im not 100% sure on numbers, but doesnt Unitronic add around 70-90 whp from stage 1 to 2 93oct ? So were looking at a 300-310 whp bolt on gti? I dont think a Cobb protune will exactly blow you out of the water if a extra 10 whp/15-20 wtq can get squeezed out. Power under curve is big deal but still.
Power is addicting.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
^^^^ pretty much

When I got my first accessport in 2009, I looked at cobb ots maps and they were ok...but nothing to brag about. Then you would see the protuned guys and be like Ohhhhh lol
Idk if its because Cobb wanted to be careful back then with the ej25, those ringlands like GOOD gas and solid tunes, and or they wanted to leave room on the table to make money and give customers a powerful protune. Today hasnt changed much. On all their platforms, the ots maps offer you a modest increase in power. So you havd to go protune for max potential. Like it was said, ithe AP has lots of capabilities and is very user friendly.

That being said. Id say stick to the Uni. Go is38. Im not 100% sure on numbers, but doesnt Unitronic add around 70-90 whp from stage 1 to 2 93oct ? So were looking at a 300-310 whp bolt on gti? I dont think a Cobb protune will exactly blow you out of the water if a extra 10 whp/15-20 wtq can get squeezed out. Power under curve is big deal but still.
Power is addicting.

i plan on being is38 but like you said power is addicting....maybe im just used to the power now so it doesnt feel all that fast

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
I don't think you fully understand the benefits of a Cobb AP. Cobb OTS tunes for EVERY platform are very lackluster and conservative and Cobb has done years and years of R&D on other platforms. Has that stopped Subie guys from raving about it? No, because you don't buy a Cobb AP for it's OTS tunes. If you do that, you just wasted your money. The whole point of getting the Cobb AP is the versatility it gives you to e tune/pro-tune and have multiple tunes stored on your AP and the ability to switch between maps in a matter of 30 - 60 seconds. The AP can also read codes and clear them for you. Not to mention the logging capabilities of the AP. No other tuning option at this moment gives you as much as the Cobb AP does.

In the case of the OP however, if he is willing to lose the money that he spent on his Uni tune, then he should switch. But honestly, at this point he is better putting his money into other things to improve his car.
Thing is, I wandered in here wondering this - I'm looking for the mildest tune possible (preferably, I'd ONLY get rid of the speed limiter, introducing no added stress/heat etc as the car is quick enough really). So the Cobb sounds like reasonably close to achieving this, with as others have noted not being stuck with a VIN-specific flash tool etc.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Thing is, I wandered in here wondering this - I'm looking for the mildest tune possible (preferably, I'd ONLY get rid of the speed limiter, introducing no added stress/heat etc as the car is quick enough really). So the Cobb sounds like reasonably close to achieving this, with as others have noted not being stuck with a VIN-specific flash tool etc.

no cobb base tunes suck, you’re better off stock.

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
no cobb base tunes suck, you’re better off stock.
So I did this isn't the first mention of this; this thread is of course old so I was thinking they must be improved? Are they still basically el junko, like does drivability go down the toilet or what?