GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

INTERCOOLER UPGRADE

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
My understanding is that a bigger IC will add more turbo lag especially to non-modded cars. But can anyone tell how bad it is? And how much it would be on stage1 or jb4 with an aftermarket IC compared to stock?

Living in the desert, I'm avoiding any engine mods only because of the extreme temperatures in summer. It seems our best bet here is stage3 or meth and I don't want to fiddle around with a meth tank in the car nor I have the money/time to spend on stage3 at the moment so I'm thinking maybe a stage1 or jb4+IC (the track fun days) but I would prefer not to add more lag tbh.

This is a good question. I won't be tracking my 1.8/IS20 and have the same concern. I am leaning towards Uni (60% more volume) since it seems to be more on the tame side and should have less lag. Also wanting to see what BMS comes up with. If someone is tracking or has a high HP IS38, then the bigger core units are likely a better bet (Wagner, APR, IE etc.), but I would like to hear from others that have upgraded to see what their experience has been with this.

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
Strange. I've never heard of anyone mention additional lag before.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

vw4evr

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree, the potential turbo lag is what strays me away.

Strange. I've never heard of anyone mention additional lag before.

Maybe he's thinking it's more restrictive, reducing boost therefore more lag?

I would imagine most major brands are pretty efficient and don't drop a lot of boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
It is just how it works. Proper sizing is key for the application. Building the charge pressure requires filling the volume of the piping and IC between turbo and intake manifold. The less volume, the quicker it fills, the less lag. Now this may be negligible for the units we are talking about, but theoretically the more volume there is, the more lag.

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
Good enough for me.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Good enough for me.

The key word here is "discernible". He doesn't mean it isn't happening, just that it won't be perceived by most. If the lag is so small that it can't be perceived, then that is great...this is why we are asking the question. And, as he explains, the cooling efficiency is very noticeable so that would outweigh 100 milliseconds of lag (not a real number, just an example) in conditions where the larger IC is needed.

Finally, it still doesn't mean folks shouldn't research and select an IC that best meets their own needs (climate, engine output, usage etc.). We have a quite a few different options, so again, so this angle is always a good one to consider when choosing your IC. Over-sizing for an application can reduce performance.

I found a couple good articles on the topic, just so that you don't think it is just me making up this information;)
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/2014...er-sizing-for-turbocharged-engines-foundation

Excerpt: A well rounded design is one that removes heat efficiently, without creating a pressure drop that negates the gains from doing so. The main factors that come into play here are heat transfer area, internal flow area and internal volume. Heat transfer area is the total area of all of the fin packs and plates in the core. Internal flow area is pretty straight forward. This is the total area that charge air can flow, internally, through the core. Lastly, internal volume is simply the flow area multiplied by the channel length. Larger internal core volumes contribute to turbo lag and a loss in throttle response, as the entire volume must be pressurized before that amount of pressure will exist in the intake manifold.

This one goes into the math of calculating "IC Lag":
https://takemebeyondthehorizon.word...turbocharging-part-7b-intercooler-efficiency/

If you Google a bit, there are many other sources where you can read up on this topic.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
How was is the ams intercooler working for ya? Is it legit? one of the companies i was looking at other than apr and cts. Was the install difficult or just time consuming?

I love it and yes it is legit. AMS is a highly respected company and they do their homework before applying it to real world applications. It is internally veined on the endtanks, fit perfectly and so far I have not noticed any power drop off due to high IAT's. AMS claims less pressure drop across the core as well. This summer will be the true test.

The install is not that difficult if you have the proper tools.

Check out RadFox's videos of his at home install.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcMXqHk5vw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDVGU4dyKG0

Also, FWIW to those concerned about lag, I didn't really notice any increase at all. Maybe due to the fact that the APR tune gives so much more low end torque it isn't discernable to me.

Last edited:

LeoA86

Ready to race!
I love it and yes it is legit. AMS is a highly respected company and they do their homework before applying it to real world applications. It is internally veined on the endtanks, fit perfectly and so far I have not noticed any power drop off due to high IAT's. AMS claims less pressure drop across the core as well. This summer will be the true test.

The install is not that difficult if you have the proper tools.

Check our RadFox's videos of his at home install.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcMXqHk5vw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDVGU4dyKG0

Also, FWIW to those concerned about lag, I didn't really notice any increase at all. Maybe due to the fact that the APR tune gives so much more low end torque it isn't discernable to me.

Thanks so much for your response and update on your experience. I will be watching these videos soon after I get my intercooler. Texas temps get close to 110 during summer months and I want to make sure that when I do boost, it does not heat soak.

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I'll be getting an intercooler upgrade sometime soon as well. I'm running an ED stage 2 tune and concerned about heat soak during track days, particularly in the summer.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I'll be getting an intercooler upgrade sometime soon as well. I'm running an ED stage 2 tune and concerned about heat soak during track days, particularly in the summer.

I highly recommend it. This weekend our weather is supposed to start heating up.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Both the GTI and R intercoolers heatsoak extremely rapidly. (even if you put the R intercooler on the GTI). An intercooler should really be a recommended pre stage 1 modification, and a required modification after stage 1.

APR actually requires the intercooler upgrade on their stage 2 HO.

Thread detailing all the collected stock and aftermarket intercooler logs on the forum.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=290515&postcount=9

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I ended up purchasing the APR intercooler today. I was deciding between it and Wagner but did not want to do the modifications required to fit the Wagner.