GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing fog light bulbs on MK7

mlewando

Ready to race!
I replaced mine with OSRAM 5000K, it lights up the light perfectly!

TrevWood

Hello. I just replaced my factors bulb with the H11 bulb. I got an error code.

Is there a bulb I should use so I don't get the error code for the fog light bulb?

Thanks!

What bulb did you replace it with? i.e. manufacturer, rating etc.

If it is not the same voltage rating or varying in electrical resistance to the original, you will most likely get an error code. Did the bulb light up initially? Maybe it is defective?

Bern_Golf17

The bulbs lit up and worked fine for a few minutes. Then the error codes popped up. Next I ordered the wiring harness to eliminate the error codes and installed. Got the error codes again. Went back to factory set up and returning everything I bought.

Will look for better bulbs and try again.

Bulbs I bought were the H11.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01ET262MO/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those are the lights I bought.

Any help is appreciated!

TrevWood

The bulbs lit up and worked fine for a few minutes. Then the error codes popped up. Next I ordered the wiring harness to eliminate the error codes and installed. Got the error codes again. Went back to factory set up and returning everything I bought.

Will look for better bulbs and try again.

Bulbs I bought were the H11.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01ET262MO/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those are the lights I bought.

Any help is appreciated!

Looking at the link from where you bought those bulbs I notice the following:
They do not specify an operating voltage.
They are LED bulbs.

From my understanding you cannot just put an LED bulb into the fog light fittings as the LED's require some sort of ballast/driver. I replaced my OEM fogs with a halogen bulb (basically the same as the OEM) but with a whiter colour. I specifically avoided replacing with LED or xenon bulbs for this reason, I was looking for a cheap and quick alternative.

If you want to put LED bulbs in I suggest you find a thread where someone offers guidance/advice on this matter.

Other than what I've just said I don't know what the error would be caused by, but I suspect it may be as mentioned.

Good luck with resolving it!

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Car LED,s all operate at 12volts operate at 8-48volts. They do not need a driver, just a resister if used on a system with a bulb out error warning to fool the car it has standard bulbs in. The ones that are canbus friendly will not show any errors. Every bulb in my Mk7 is now LED and never has a error pop up.

Bern_Golf17

I will try to find a canbus bulb for the car.

Do you have any links for the bulbs you used?

Car LED,s all operate at 12volts operate at 8-48volts. They do not need a driver, just a resister if used on a system with a bulb out error warning to fool the car it has standard bulbs in. The ones that are canbus friendly will not show any errors. Every bulb in my Mk7 is now LED and never has a error pop up.

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
I opted to get Yellow Lamin-X Pre Cut film directly from the manufacturer. A lot easier of an upgrade than replacing the bulb and makes the stance of my MK7 Golf SE really stand out at night. It's all personal preference for sure :)

Bern_Golf17

I opted to get Yellow Lamin-X Pre Cut film directly from the manufacturer. A lot easier of an upgrade than replacing the bulb and makes the stance of my MK7 Golf SE really stand out at night. It's all personal preference for sure :)
Ahhh....not a huge fan of yellow but on right color car I'm sure it looks good!

Still searching for dogs that will match my xenons

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
Ahhh....not a huge fan of yellow but on right color car I'm sure it looks good!

Still searching for dogs that will match my xenons

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

My Golf SE is Pure White so it does pop for sure! If you're looking for a good company for fogs look into JDM ASTAR website. Just search by vehicle make etc and they give detailed info as far as the color temperature an all that. Some you may need to clear the code if it throws so if you have VCDS or OBD11 which I think would do the trick for you. Some of my friends have used their products on other make cars but they have had positive experiences from them. I personally tend to stay away from bulbs from eBay. Another option would be going through Philips Automotive section where they sell OE Fog replacements. Can't vouch for them, but I do know based on their ratings their lifespan is only up to a year or so. Hopefully this helps you! :) http://www.jdmastar.com/

Bern_Golf17

Thanks! I will try the website and see where it goes:)

My Golf SE is Pure White so it does pop for sure! If you're looking for a good company for fogs look into JDM ASTAR website. Just search by vehicle make etc and they give detailed info as far as the color temperature an all that. Some you may need to clear the code if it throws so if you have VCDS or OBD11 which I think would do the trick for you. Some of my friends have used their products on other make cars but they have had positive experiences from them. I personally tend to stay away from bulbs from eBay. Another option would be going through Philips Automotive section where they sell OE Fog replacements. Can't vouch for them, but I do know based on their ratings their lifespan is only up to a year or so. Hopefully this helps you! :) http://www.jdmastar.com/