GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Comparison~ Trunk Light LEDs -- stock, OEM, deAutoLED

spiker369

on air, don't care
Alright so, deAutoLED and I have worked together many times in the past when I used to own a Mark 6 GTI. I did comparisons for their plate light housings, testing/comparing their different wafer bulbs for the footwells , testing/review on their remote controlled footwell lights, full interior kit, as well as tons of other testing. If you’re interested in any of those previous reviews or videos you can find them on my golfmk6 account @spiker369.

Anyways, when I got my Mark 7 GTI I reached out to get LED plate lights and was asked to do another review/comparison for the golfmk7 forum!

For those interested in getting more light in the boot/trunk, deAutoLED has two great options for you. I’m going to be showing their products against the stock trunk light and the OEM LED option (made by Philips 000-052-409-D-).

For everyone that’s going to ask, I shot these on a Canon 6D with the kit 24-105L; I tried to match the photo to as close as what I could see. Only image correcting was for lens distortion and lens vignetting. That being said, there is no after camera color correction…The letter size paper is in the shot so you can see the brightness of the LEDs and to see any color issues.

------------------------------------------

Let’s get things started!

First off, the stock setup. You can see how dim the light is and the warm hue from the incandescent bulb. You can also see how it is most bright on the passenger side of the trunk from the location of the housing.

OEM_Incandesant by Kyle Anderson, on Flickr

Next is the OEM LED option that fits into the stock housing. I initially thought this would be good enough for me because it’s cheap (~$15) and OEM.. well.. it sucks. It’s not much brighter than the stock incandescent bulb. It is notably whiter, but there are blue specs that you can see on the paper and on the wheel hump. This bulb fits like the stock bulb but has a head sink on one side and a single diode on the other.

OEM_LED by Kyle Anderson, on Flickr

The first option from deAutoLED is the “Stage III” LED that fits into the stock housing. This bulb has a similar style to the OEM where it has a heat sink on one side and the LEDs on the other, but there are 12 diodes on this board. This is significantly brighter than the previous two options. There are blue horizontal lines that run across the trunk but aren’t too bad in all honesty. Definitely a good low cost option at $19.99.

http://www.deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-trunk-led-bulb-bright-crisp-white-error-free-plug-play

DeAuto_WaferLED by Kyle Anderson, on Flickr

Here is a photo of the three different bulbs out of the housing. From left to right, deAutoLED, stock incandescent, OEM LED.

Bulb_Compare by Kyle Anderson, on Flickr

The second option from deAutoLED that I tried is the entire light housing. This replaces the full plastic assembly and stuffs a board with 18 diodes into the stock location. It is again, significantly brighter than the previously stated options and even whiter than the other version of deAutoLED “stock style” bulbs. This housing is only $29.99 and I would honestly recommend this over the previous options. There aren’t any noticeable color issues and it is more than bright enough even though it only comes from the one side of the trunk. I ran this same style housing in my Mark 6 when I had it.

http://www.deautokey.com/product/mkvii-vw-gti-entire-trunk-housing-bright-error-free-plug-and-play

DeAuto_LED_Housing by Kyle Anderson, on Flickr

The last option, that I did not test, that deAutoLED offers is the universal LED strip for $44.99 which gives you flexibility when placing it along the trunk and allows you to choose between white or red.

http://www.deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-trunk-led-strip-bright-crisp-white-error-free-plug-play

Thank you again to deAutoLED for making great products and having super customer service.

tldr; Buy the deAutoLED full trunk LED housing if you want the brightest and whitest lighting for the trunk of your MK7!

mensaman

Ready to race!
Nice write up and comparison photos. I've changed most of my bulbs out to deautoLED ones, and have been very pleased so far. Great products and customer service. This will be another upgrade i do soon. Only a couple bulbs left to change!

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Yeah, with the light being in the middle for the Sportwagen and Alltrack, I can tell you firsthand that replacement housing works awesome!

There is an update we want to share so no one purchases the incorrect model, the alltrack and GSW require a special trunk bulb setup to avoid the light flickering or staying on - the new setup can be found here:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-trunk-led-bulb-bright-crisp-white-error-free-plug-play

On the drop down you must choose "Stage III fits ONLY GSW & Alltrack Models" on the drop down.

The rest will work in the GTI/GOLF.

darth_furious1

Passed Driver's Ed
I got one of these: http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-v...-plug-and-play. I didn't think it was bright enough so I looked for more options.

This is what I ended up doing and I'm very happy with it
https://www.amazon.com/YITAMOTOR-Daytime-Reverse-Backup-Parking/dp/B018G5MY5O/

Here it is with the cargo cover pulled back

Side view:

Close up of install:

I did manual white balance on my phone (cloudy wb so 5000k. Not 6000k but closer). My kids wanted to play inside. You can get a sense of color and brightness. The interior lights are definitely warmer

I took off the panel on the hatch that allows access to the trunk latch. Then I drilled 4 holes with a 1/2in drill bit. I put the light through and screwed the nut in. I took the wires and connected it to a new wire I ran through the hatch panel, through the rubber grommets into the ceiling right next to the light. I spliced the wiring for the hatch light to the wire and all done. The angle of the panel is perfect to shine down to the cargo area and not get in the way when using the cargo area or obstructing my view in the rear view mirror. It's pretty sturdy too and I'm not worried about the LED breaking off. It's also above my head and I don't block the light when looking in the trunk.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
What model did you purchase, the trunk housing / stage 3 are very bright.

The trunk strip is the brightest option - it creates the most light and is hidden - with all plug and play adapters, no drilling or special wiring:
http://deautokey.com/product/universal-48-led-flexible-strip-for-your-trunk-fits-all-car-models

-the only issue we see with the setup you are suggesting is the drilling since not many want to do that from our experience with selling our plug and play kit.

Last edited:

darth_furious1

Passed Driver's Ed
What model did you purchase, the trunk housing / stage 3 are very bright.

The trunk strip is the brightest option - it creates the most light and is hidden - with all plug and play adapters, no drilling or special wiring:
http://deautokey.com/product/universal-48-led-flexible-strip-for-your-trunk-fits-all-car-models

-the only issue we see with the setup you are suggesting is the drilling since not many want to do that from our experience with selling our plug and play kit.

I actually tried them all over the years. The adhesive eventually comes off when it gets very hot. I measured 140F inside my car before with windows all closed. 10 hours of that a few days in a row and the adhesive thins out and the strip peels off. I agree that the strip is bright, almost as bright as my current setup. The peeling was what broke me. That is why I chose drilling and I think it is a superior option if you are comfortable drilling. That and my setup was only $12

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
I actually tried them all over the years. The adhesive eventually comes off when it gets very hot. I measured 140F inside my car before with windows all closed. 10 hours of that a few days in a row and the adhesive thins out and the strip peels off. I agree that the strip is bright, almost as bright as my current setup. The peeling was what broke me. That is why I chose drilling and I think it is a superior option if you are comfortable drilling. That and my setup was only $12

The strip will normally not do this if heated and pressed firmly so we do apologize.

You can put the trunk strip on the lower part of the trunk also, if you email Support@deAutoLED.com they can help you but it is not an issue we have seen - it would be good to have more info like how long it was installed prior to the issue and how it was installed and we can go from there.

In our opinion we do not feel those bulbs are a superior option in terms of functionality or install process but we don't mind you having this opinion so please do not get us wrong.

If you had our trunk strip we are very confused to this comment:
"I didn't think it was bright enough"

We honestly never heard this before, we hear the opposite for good reason, they are very bright - here are just some customer photos:
-the best part is that they are hidden
-they are plug and play - the adapter plugs directly into the OEM housing - no wiring
-stealthy long wire that is wrapped in black plastic so it can be hidden anywhere

Thank you

darth_furious1

Passed Driver's Ed
The strip will normally not do this if heated and pressed firmly so we do apologize.

You can put the trunk strip on the lower part of the trunk also, if you email Support@deAutoLED.com they can help you but it is not an issue we have seen - it would be good to have more info like how long it was installed prior to the issue and how it was installed and we can go from there.

If you had our trunk strip we are very confused to this comment:
"I didn't think it was bright enough"

We honestly never heard this before, we hear the opposite for good reason, they are very bright

DeAutoKey, I got your PM but I want to reply here so everyone can see my response. The link isn't working from before. I will try again.
I got one of these: http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-v...-plug-and-play. I didn't think it was bright enough so I looked for more options.
I got one of these lights and didn't think it was bright enough. It really is not one of the brightest options.

The strip: http://www.deautokey.com/product/universal-48-led-flexible-strip-for-your-trunk-fits-all-car-models on the other hand is nice and bright and I liked it. I had it on for a few months on my 2010 JSW ceiling before it peeled off. I pressed it firmly on the ceiling, which is lined with fabric. On a few hot days in summer where it baked the car to 140F ,according to my instant read thermometer I keep in there, it started peeling off and hanging. I ended up stapling it on and then drilling holes to put zip ties in there. The MK7 golf has plastic on the ceiling and it should stick better (hopefully). I just learned my lesson to avoid this type of light.

While we are talking about this, I had it mounted on the ceiling and I crammed luggage in there all the way to the top. A few of the LED units snapped right off when I pushed the luggage in. Another reason I will not use this strip. I guess it could be floor mounted, but I imagine it could break off there too and it would also not be bright when something is covering over it. My complaint about this product is not the brightness but durability and the adhesive failing in very hot temperatures

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
darth_furious - thanks for the info, did you use the 3m tape that was included or velcro on the carpet, it sounds like you were using the 3m tape? Some tips: heating prior to installing / cleaning surface / pressing firmly in each area where the 3m tape is for 20-30 seconds will allow to to adhere and it will not move no matter the heat.

Velcro is also included for the fabric lining, we are not disagreeing with you but we have many of these installed and want to get to the bottom of the issue you had so others can learn from it and not try to stray away from the product because of issues you had.

the listing has 4 options:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-trunk-led-bulb-bright-crisp-white-error-free-plug-play

stage 1
stage 2
stage 3
trunk housing
trunk strip

That is why we were curious to which you tried, if you contacted us we could have set you up with more 3m tape and why we PM you so you can send us your email and we can help, it would be helpful to confirm the product you purchased.

edit to add more info:
Also, here is stage 3 (LED bulb) in a GSW - the light output is a lot for a small bulb, if you can also private message your order info we can confirm which stage bulb you purchased and the review can be more clear of what model was not bright enough.

We are unclear but did you use the 3m tape with the velcro?
Process:
remove paper to expose tape on 3m strip
place 3m foam tape on sides and middle of trunk strip
place velcro on the foam 3m tape.

Last edited:

Kent1

If I go with the housing for the trunk stage III, do I need to code anything? Are there any error codes that pop up from replacing the incandescent housing to the LED housing?

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
If I go with the housing for the trunk stage III, do I need to code anything? Are there any error codes that pop up from replacing the incandescent housing to the LED housing?

No coding / no errors / no wiring - all 100% plug and play simple install.

Thank you