Go Kart Champion
I like that BFI dropped in a moment for an "update" and has now disappeared lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
fantastic. no issues at all. i dont know how to describe the pedal pressure considering i went from the bfi stage 3 to the sachs, its lighter than the bfi, possibly a little bit stiffer than the oem

I take it that it's holding much better than both OEM and BFI :D

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I can say that the SRE is noticeably heavier than stock. I felt a stock MK7 clutch after driving my SRE for 4k miles and I nearly put my foot through the floor.

nbm15mk7

Well this thread totally changed my mind on my clutch decision. I am in the market to replace my stock clutch and decided to get the BFI but now I am leaning towards the SRE now. Hope everything works out and you get your refund!

I don't like the direction this is going. I drove the car for more than 500 miles before giving it full throttle. I drove on regular streets and backstreets avoiding the autobahn and not giving it much throttle at all. This is not my first performance clutch, I have had several already and know better than to drive like an ape with a fresh clutch that hasn't broken in yet. Also the shop that did the install has been in business for over 30 years, with tons of vw's coming through.

We did get the clutch and flywheel - thanks for packing them well.

So we have done a cursory inspection (competition does the full inspection and they make the final decisions ultimately) and unfortunately I don't see a lot wrong with the clutch and flywheel.

There are some very slight hot spots/glazing on the center of the annulus of the flywheel and pressure plate as well as the disc. But that is usually the result of an incomplete break-in. I will have them check for flatness of the friction surfaces to make sure it isn't a machining issue.

Ultimately I fear they will point to this as a cause for sticking/strange release: there is no lubrication on the splines of the clutch disc - step 2 of the instructions dictates that you need to put a thin film of grease on the input shaft and clutch disc splines, and a failure to do so can cause a "sticking" clutch or an uneven release point.

Again, I'm not the final answer on this, I will send it to them to make a final determination, but I want to prepare you that they may not accept this as a warranty claim.

I understand that this isn't your fault, especially since you did not install the clutch as it was done by a third party.But in these situations the customer can become stuck in the middle with the installer claiming a faulty product and the manufacturer claiming a faulty install. That's why we always recommend purchasing our product from the installer instead of bringing it to one that may be unfamiliar with the product.

I will keep this moving forward and will let you know what competition says when they inspect the clutch.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
I don't like the direction this is going. I drove the car for more than 500 miles before giving it full throttle. I drove on regular streets and backstreets avoiding the autobahn and not giving it much throttle at all. This is not my first performance clutch, I have had several already and know better than to drive like an ape with a fresh clutch that hasn't broken in yet. Also the shop that did the install has been in business for over 30 years, with tons of vw's coming through.

Damn.. that really sucks if you're out 3k for a clutch..

I'm looking at a stronger (than OEM) clutch to handle Stage2, right now considering just replacing the PP with the TT-RS one, or go full-on SRE.
If I had the need for a Stage3 I'm pretty sure I would've gone for the SRE.

I mean choosing between Sachs and whichever little shop cobbling together parts and rebadging them should be a no-brainer..

Joncoulson

Ready to race!
I have this clutch in my stge 2 apr gti chatters like hell but hasn't slipped yet. I don't just beat on my car all the time sucks they are dragging their feet this was a costly life for me I installed myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
No response to my email, not a single word. three months+five days now.

I have emailed BFI for a different reason and have not received a response for a while now. Seems to be the norm :eek: