GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IE Intercooler Going on Sale

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Nope - still waiting on something more than 10 percent off....I'm about to email again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perry01

Ready to race!
So I had forum member Oorrllyy help me with the install today. We installed my new IE intercooler then put the Golf R IC from my car into his GTI. Both installs took a little over three hours total. IAT's are now only 10 degrees over ambient during back to back to back WOT pulls. Better throttle response now too. It fit like a glove with no modifications needed. Super stoked.

oorrllyy

Ready to race!
So I had forum member Oorrllyy help me with the install today. We installed my new IE intercooler then put the Golf R IC from my car into his GTI. Both installs took a little over three hours total. IAT's are now only 10 degrees over ambient during back to back to back WOT pulls. Better throttle response now too. It fit like a glove with no modifications needed. Super stoked.

Woohoo awesome day! Now time to order my clutch!

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
Mine is going in early Sat morning. I cannot wait. I am hoping I can bang this out in about 3 hours since I have a friend helping me. All of these pics are helpful and there are so many guides it looks pretty straightforward. I am not removing the headlights or radiator.

It's going to be a nice warm day so I will be doing lots of pulls to test it out.

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
Got the Intercooler installed yesterday with a buddy of mine. Took a total of about 3 and a 1/2 hours. Not really difficult just a lot of time to be careful and not break all the plastic clips. I did not have to remove the headlights or disconnect the radiator. The IE unit fit easily in place of the stock Intercooler.

I drove around last night and a bunch this afternoon. Temps have been low to mid 70's. I am actually surprised at how noticble this mod is. Even at small throttle openings like 1/4-1/2 the car feels so much more urgent. The pull up today is way better. Now I have hard acceleration to 6500 or 7 if I want to take it there. Even in the cooler weather I was able to sit at about 3k rpm in second and go flat to the floor, the tires (245 PSS) would spin a little, car would wind up to about 6500 then it would hook and go, no need to feather. Today with the warmest weather I have had, I was breaking loose in second by half throttle and had to feather a lot. The hit from about 3000rpm is way stronger. I firmly believe the dyno charts IE showed were accurate. I am in Love with my current set-up. Vs a bare bones stage 2 the difference it really apparent and the flat feeling us top is gone.

I will try to log some IAT's, and film some 40-100 pulls to she what she does. I would love to schedule a dyno soon as well but that may take me a little bit.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Congrats on the successful install!

Perry01

Ready to race!
I am stuck at the yellow clips. The black plastic frame that they are holding in doesn't want to come forward at all.

Any tips?

Spray silicone on the clips. Use two big screw drivers to pinch the clips then pull the frame out.

nonbiodegradable weasel

Ready to race!
Spray silicone on the clips. Use two big screw drivers
I bought silicone in anticipation of the yellow clip problem. I remember you posted that suggestion elsewhere so I was prepared with some silicone spray.

My problem was that I needed bigger screwdrivers with wider blades and longer handle for a bit more leverage. I just got them both done, about as easily as depicted in the DAP video. Thanks! :)

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
The yellow clips are a pain but a few screwdrivers and 2 sets of hands with some careful but forceful prying did it for me. I followed the dap video as well.good luck. Try the spray it should help or even a hair dryer to make everything more pliable.

I personally had the hardest time with the clips that hold the top of the intercooler to the radiator. The passenger side gives you very little room to work.

nonbiodegradable weasel

Ready to race!
I personally had the hardest time with the clips that hold the top of the intercooler to the radiator. The passenger side gives you very little room to work.
I'm surprised that I didn't break plastic part the stock IC that those clips attach to.

-There are some weird plastic things (very flexible ones and a little harder ones) on each side of the condensor. Sorta a PITA to put back in. Broke pieces off both of them. The IC may fit like a glove but these sure didn't care for the new thickness.
x2

-That effing hood release mechanism. No idea how to get it out of the bracket. One of the plastic nubs holding it broke. I think the hood would still work fine, but I zip tied that one side down just in case. damnit.
I broke mine inadvertently. The second photo in this thread is close to what happened to mine, although I snapped both of the white pieces off: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21345
I'm glad that I checked the release mechanism inside the car before closing the hood. I "fixed" it with some zip ties.

Total install time...~7 hours

I am not a mechanic. Probably easier with a friend helping, but can be done alone.
Better than I did. I'm not mechanically inclined at all. I couldn't do the entire thing start to finish. Overall the car was in some state of disassembly for about a day. Probably spent 8 or 9 hours actually working on it with lots of breaks. It was very stressful.

I should have paid someone to do the install. This was way outside of my comfort zone and I wanted the learning experience and the challenge... but in retrospect it would have been worth a couple hundred bucks for a professional do to it for me.

I found the DAP video much more straightforward to follow than the APR, IE, and Unitronic guides that I'd consulted. APR guide was helpful because it included a count of the screws that needed to be removed for each step.

Thanks to Perry01 and Diggs24 for the advice and information. I appreciate your contributions to the forum.

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
You guys really make me want to try this on my own! I'm definitely mechanically inclined... I tried to change my headlight bulbs and dropped both down into the plastic undercarriage/tray thing. I had to get help :(... But I am super cheap and I would like to save a few hundred.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I'm half way through right now awaiting delivery of uni tomorrow. Everything was smooth until the yellow clips. I don't have my screwdrivers with me so I will finish the disassembly tmrw when I pick them up. 3-4 hours total working time sounds about right.