GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SK VeeDubR's MK7 Golf R 'progression of events'

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
04/16/2017 - What's this!?

The young lady is looking at her College funds going away! ;)
Like the wheels. Both sets.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
05/09/2017 - Euro Power Folding Mirrors with BSM

Finally had a bit of time and some nice weather to install these Euro power folding mirrors with the Blind Spot Monitor wires already installed. My original plan was to purchase a set of Chinese OEM folding mirrors for my 1.8T and swap my BSM wires over, then purchase a Euro set WITH BSM for my R and do a comparison, but I ended up just buying two sets of European Mirrors for convenience sake. This way if I ever want to revert to stock I won't have to deal with swapping the wires back over again, not that I plan to revert, but never say never.

A few posts earlier I also made note of some details regarding the power folding mirrors so I won't reiterate them here as they are on the same page, towards the top.

First I must apologize, I realize I took no pictures of the install process. There are however some very well documented videos/PDFs outlining the procedure, so if you are attempting to install a set yourself I highly recommend watching the DAP video(s), and reviewing the USP Motorsports PDF install guide. When I installed the second set in my R i was able to do the complete install in 30 minutes, then a few more minutes to complete the coding.

I'd like to note that the Euro power folding mirrors are made by the same manufacturer as my stock mirrors, so there's that.

Stock mirror assembly

Euro Power Folding Assembly (note - same manufacturers)

BSM Wires present and accounted for!

Puddle Lights present and accounted for

New switch

And installed!

As you can see, I also installed the European Aspherical glass WITH Blind Spot Monitor indicator. I installed Aspherical glass on both the driver and the passenger side, although I believe it is more common in Europe to only have the driver's side aspherical, while the passenger side is much like ours in North America, but without that ridiculous warning 'objects in mirror something something Dark Side..). I have since spent some time behind the wheel and I must say I LOVE my aspherical mirror glass, and I don't think I could go back now - While it took a few minutes to adjust initially, my field of vision is greatly enhanced rearward and I do feel better aware of my surroundings. My wife initially turned up her nose when she first went for a drive and I thought for certain I would be posting them in the FS section that afternoon, but by the time she came back from her errands she too was in love with the mirrors!

The switch is definitely a 'soft touch' when you turn the knob just like the stock mirror adjust knob, unlike the Chinese switch which has an audible 'click'.

I believe the Euro mirror motors are quieter than the Chinese mirror assemblies, but it's been a while since I have heard a set of Chinese folding mirrors in action.

And just like the Chinese power folding mirrors, these Euro power folding mirrors are not perfectly synchronized either, not sure exactly why this is but I suspect it has something to do with the electronic signal/modules.

All in all I am extremely satisfied with my Euro power folding mirrors, everything functions as it should, and they give an air of luxury to the car that definitely does not go unnoticed.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
06/17/2017 - OEM 'S3' Resonator Delete

I acquired an S3 resonator delete from a friend, gently used, otherwise perfect condition!

My little 'Master Tech' helping with the cutting of the old pipe to remove the stock resonator.

And for those of you wondering - yes he is actually doing work, he was very determined to cut this pipe by himself :p

Proud of a job well done!

Resonator vs OEM S3 res delete pipe

And now to fit the OEM S3 delete pipe!

After spending just over a week with the OEM S3 Resonator delete installed (otherwise car is stock, exhaust-wise), THIS is how these R's should have sounded from factory!! I LOVE the grumble and subtle but deep tone deleting the resonator provides. And of course, fit and finish is top-notch, just as you would expect with an OEM piece. Even my good friend who has a beautiful HPA DP + stock CB insists my R sounds slightly better than his R (although I do love how his car sounds as well, especially since he can induce DSG farts :p )

Overall i am 100% satisfied with this OEM+ modification!

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
06/17/2017 - OEM 'S3' Resonator Delete

I acquired an S3 resonator delete from a friend, gently used, otherwise perfect condition!

My little 'Master Tech' helping with the cutting of the old pipe to remove the stock resonator.

And for those of you wondering - yes he is actually doing work, he was very determined to cut this pipe by himself [emoji14]

Proud of a job well done!

Resonator vs OEM S3 res delete pipe

And now to fit the OEM S3 delete pipe!

After spending just over a week with the OEM S3 Resonator delete installed (otherwise car is stock, exhaust-wise), THIS is how these R's should have sounded from factory!! I LOVE the grumble and subtle but deep tone deleting the resonator provides. And of course, fit and finish is top-notch, just as you would expect with an OEM piece. Even my good friend who has a beautiful HPA DP + stock CB insists my R sounds slightly better than his R (although I do love how his car sounds as well, especially since he can induce DSG farts [emoji14] )

Overall i am 100% satisfied with this OEM+ modification!
Great job and awesome kid!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Not sure if this is new info to anyone, but I haven’t seen these fitted to anything BUT an AllTrack before so here it goes..

TLDR - AllTrack OEM splash guards ‘fit’ all golf models.

So, as some of you may remember, I had a DIY on how to make custom splash guards using OEM ‘cores’ for the MK6 R, as at the time there was no support - OEM or aftermarket. When the MK7 launched I reexamined if the same could be done but alas it could not. Shortly thereafter we saw companies like Rally Armor and RokBloks (sp?) offer up standard flaps with model-specific brackets so cars such as the MK7 R (which again had no OEM option) could be fitted.
FF to not so long ago in the distant past I caught myself staring at an AllTrack in the showroom. I never really looked before but that day I noticed how the splash guards did not mould around the bodywork/paint like on the golf/GTI. I knew the inner wheel wells/fender liners were basically the same across all golf models so.. I bought a set.

Now I will be the first to say these aren’t PERFECT, buuuuuuut I’ll be damned if they don’t work just fine! I fitted them first to a MK7 R. The most glaring deficiency in fitment to me right now are the holes that can be seen. These holes are intended for pushpins to snug them up to the cladding of the Alltrack - I may look at filling the holes with something like JB Weld, but for now this is how they look.

There is some play in the adjustment of the splash guards so your fitment may vary. Another idea I had was to move the rear guards even further in but this will require drilling a couple new holes in the splash guard (not the car). The next deficiency is that the rear splash guard sits away from the paint a few mm - now this may actually be an advantage to some as you. Ever have to worry about rocks and debris getting trapped between the splash guard and your paint. I’m not sure how I feel about it yet but it doesn’t offend me.

The fronts are damn near perfect, save for another couple visible holes - but on the fronts I find the holes to be even less obvious and don’t really bother me at all. Even with the R sideskirts which add some additional bulk, the front splash guards are allowed to sit quite flush all along. Both fronts and rears are held on quite firmly. I added a small length (approx 1.5inch) of 3M two-sided tape to the top portion of the front splash guard where it meets the plastic portion of the fender liner along the wheel arch, but I don’t think it was even necessary.

The rears use two existing fender liner screw points, and you have to simply use the supplied hardware and add two more to the lower edge against the lower fender liner. Same goes for the front except the front is shorter in length so only uses one preexisting fender liner screw point.

These are on there solid and will serve their purpose. My only regret is wish I did it sooner!