GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 vs MK7, Stage 1 takes Stage 2

Connie@GIAC

Passed Driver's Ed
Lol I'm doing the same thing just trying to figure out the cost for GIAC, I've sent Unitronic an email asking to cancel my (almost 8 week) Inter cooler order. I may just go APR though they offer a 10% military discount.

We offer a 10% military discount year round as well with valid military ID!

Euro Tech

Ready to race!
Stock snail on your car for that run? Dude, that 35R guy needs serious help! A win is a win, but his setup should trap 126-127mph on E85 with ease and put train lengths on any IS20 GTI and pull an IS38 with authority.

He runs pump gas, pretty much all we have down here. I order in a 55 gal drum of E98 to play with from time to time but for the most part we all run pump. The Evo has a horrible power band, he makes way more power than me, but its all from 7000-8500rpm so he did not start to pull on me until 4th gear. Not sure how he would do now that I am IS38, I doubt we have enough road for him to reel me in.

He's clearly a great driver, but it likely has some weight removed.

I was full interior on 93 octane. Although it was on an extra spicy GIAC file that has since been lost on the server.

Noize1

Ready to race!
Yeah, 35R and pump gas not gonna make the power. Poor guy. :(
We had lots of customers with cammed VIIIs on GT35Rs back on the day. Dyno was a low reading Dyno Dynamics. Even on non Mivec VIII with crappy fixed cam gears, they'd make ~390whp and have a great power band from 5200 to 7800RPM. That setup was good for super high 11s at about 117mph, even falling off pretty hard on the upshift to second gear. Better fuel is good for 100whp, a full second, and 10mph. Hopefully he sorts out his car and gets it dialed in. That factory Mivec intake gear can spool a medium sized 35R by 4700RPM.

Sometimes simpler is better. You should talk him into selling that car and letting you GIAC a Golf R for him.

Connie@GIAC

Passed Driver's Ed
Can i stack it with the 10% for april? lol if so i will pull the trigger right now.

Unfortunately, we can't stack the discounts.

jb99875

Ready to race!
Eh, pull the trigger anyway. One vet to another.

Alright just bought a flash loader. Only thing that is worrying me is the authorized dealer here (3 different locations all the same company) have not been responsive sent an email 4/18, called 4/19 told I would be called back about my questions/quote, called today they didn't have any of my info I gave the day before, started to make some progress got put on hold and was told I would be called back. its been 2 hours....Connie any way you can help me out here? I asked if they charge to install software and a estimate for an IS20/IS38 swap. On a side note I would rather get the turbo installed by my normal shop, would it be an issue to drive it 15 miles on a stage 2 tune/w IS38?

Euro Tech

Ready to race!
Alright just bought a flash loader. Only thing that is worrying me is the authorized dealer here (3 different locations all the same company) have not been responsive sent an email 4/18, called 4/19 told I would be called back about my questions/quote, called today they didn't have any of my info I gave the day before, started to make some progress got put on hold and was told I would be called back. its been 2 hours....Connie any way you can help me out here? I asked if they charge to install software and a estimate for an IS20/IS38 swap. On a side note I would rather get the turbo installed by my normal shop, would it be an issue to drive it 15 miles on a stage 2 tune/w IS38?

What shop is it? I can call in to GIAC if you don't get a reply soon. You are totally fine to drive on the Stage 2 software with the IS38, to be honest its what a lot of guys were doing while waiting for IS38 software. Most places will charge to install software, so don't be too put off by that, that goes for GIAC, APR, UNI, REVO etc. Usually 1/2 hour to an hour. Another thing is that not all small shops check Email often, I suggest giving them a few more calls.

Connie@GIAC

Passed Driver's Ed

Send me an email (connie@giacusa.com) with all your info and dealers that you wish to go to. I will do my best to reach them. Like VAG said, you'll be okay on stage 2 with the IS38 for a while.

Norsk982

Ready to race!
Well, I would say that a JB4 would be plenty for what you are asking for. However if you are willing to pay the couple hundred dollars extra for a flash tune I can only recommend GIAC or Unitronic at this point. After all the research I have done and all the logs I have seen my personal opinion is that they offer the safest most turbo friendly options, both make power through timing and don't use mass amounts of boost. So in the end, my answer is GIAC because I have pushed this car so far past its design limits yet it keeps on ticking, I have never had an issue with a car I have flashed, all of my customers are extremely happy.

So JB4 is good enough for those who wants more power and have no plan to add more like intake or DP? It's half cheaper than the full tune.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
So JB4 is good enough for those who wants more power and have no plan to add more like intake or DP? It's half cheaper than the full tune.

There are guys with the JB4 that have intake, downpipe, full bolt ons, IS38 etc. so far it's been matching flash tunes and beating some. Some also stack it on a flash tune to take it further. I believe like 4 out of the 5 fastest golf Rs are running a JB4. Two of them are straight JB4 with no stack. Some GTIs have done dynos lately and made more power than stage 2 flash tunes on the same dyno. Flash tunes are better by a little bit, but the JB4 does quite a bit for what it is.

Banned
There are guys with the JB4 that have intake, downpipe, full bolt ons, IS38 etc. so far it's been matching flash tunes and beating some. Some also stack it on a flash tune to take it further. I believe like 4 out of the 5 fastest golf Rs are running a JB4. Two of them are straight JB4 with no stack. Some GTIs have done dynos lately and made more power than stage 2 flash tunes on the same dyno. Flash tunes are better by a little bit, but the JB4 does quite a bit for what it is.

I'm sure they're E85 too which is less than ideal.

depth_charged

Ready to race!
Mustang Dyno, enough said. Add at least 10%.

Can't comment on the exact amount to add for the Mustang tax, but I used to work at a shop with a Mustang Dyno that we used for internal tuning. We would occasionally do open dyno weekends and get "lower powered" cars in and just watch tears roll down people's faces. Every time I would have to explain that the Mustang is pretty conservative.

That's why I think dyno is always better used to measure changes than outright horsepower. Some of them giveth good feels, others taketh away.

We were also a GIAC dealer... if I still had access from my office desk, I probably would have bought a tune and flashloader before hitting 50 miles on the odometer.

Perry01

Ready to race!
I'm sure they're E85 too which is less than ideal.

No E85 sold here. I got 303 WHP with just a JB4, DP and intercooler on 92 octane pump gas. Definately comparable to stage 2 output. I'm going to crank up the boost next time and see how many more HP I can squeeze out of it.