GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Temp

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Sitting waiting for the wife yesterday. Car's in Park, A/C at 78*, fan on the lowest setting. Full sun, 82* outside. At idle oil temp was 225. I'm resting my foot on the gas pedal. RPM is now 1,400. Oil temp dropped over 10*. Just saying.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yes, it was exciting watching my oil temp go down then up again when I let off the gas. Better than watching paint dry.

Snitt

Ready to race!
Just think, you could have also been reading this and then really wowed your wife when she got in the car. Give her a brief demo and then launch into a detailed explanation about what she just witnessed. Then finish it off with, "And the longer I wait, the more detailed these lessons will be" as you stare her in the eyes. :D

Lob-Star

Passed Driver's Ed
Kind of a side track here, but I've heard that lots of idle time can promote carbon buildup on the valves. Is there truth to this?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Just think, you could have also been reading this and then really wowed your wife when she got in the car. Give her a brief demo and then launch into a detailed explanation about what she just witnessed. Then finish it off with, "And the longer I wait, the more detailed these lessons will be" as you stare her in the eyes. :D

LOL, she knows more about cars than half the people here.

FrankTheBunny

Passed Driver's Ed

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If it's only 82º outside, why idle the car at all?

That's because it get very humid in Florida even at only 82*. Did you notice the part about direct sunlight? I understand how you feel, living in the mountains. I lived near Canada for a short time.

EXEA189

Ready to race!
That's because it get very humid in Florida even at only 82*. Did you notice the part about direct sunlight? I understand how you feel, living in the mountains. I lived near Canada for a short time.

You are so right. I forget about that! For example, it rained overnight (1 inch measured in my rain gauge) and today we are having more rain showers, and I just checked... it's 57% humidity. If it was sunny, we'd be usually 13% humidity.

What's that rule of thumb? - if temperature and humidity add up to over 150, it's uncomfortable.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You are so right. I forget about that! For example, it rained overnight (1 inch measured in my rain gauge) and today we are having more rain showers, and I just checked... it's 57% humidity. If it was sunny, we'd be usually 13% humidity.

What's that rule of thumb? - if temperature and humidity add up to over 150, it's uncomfortable.

I'm inland - it was near 90* today but the humidity was an unusual 30% (on my weather station). It's also been very breezy, but it's from the west. If you don't mind the wind it was great. If you were in a car in the sun, or in a house you need A/C.

CA-GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Once up to temperature my oil rarely goes below 225. It hovers around 228-230 almost every time I drive. Last week it ran 232-234 the whole way home with 67 degree ambient temperature with the ac off. Why does it run so hot? Is this cause for concern?

EXEA189

Ready to race!
Once up to temperature my oil rarely goes below 225. It hovers around 228-230 almost every time I drive. Last week it ran 232-234 the whole way home with 67 degree ambient temperature with the ac off. Why does it run so hot? Is this cause for concern?

I think 220º-ish is the minimum acceptable operating temperature. Since water is the byproduct of combustion, ideally oil has to run above 212ºF to boil off the water. I wouldn't be concerned unless it's running consistently above 250ºF - you should be fine, IMO, for synthetic.

I made a drive to Denver yesterday morning and 40 miles into the trip, I was still only at 208º - ambient temps were in the 20ºs. On the trip home, oil temp was running 228º with ambient in the 40ºs.

Last edited:

ImolaR

Ready to race!
Operating temp for me is always 223, when I notice its higher, around 228 I check the oil and add until full. Usually about 500ml. Oil temp goes back to 223. On track the highest I saw after a session was 245.