GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soumatrix with Helix sub/DSP

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Someone may big dick me here, but the only way I know to lower the sub volume is to do so adjusting the gain on the amp/DSP, adjusting the bass on the head unit EQ, or changing the programming on the DSP.

Pretty sure you're right.

I'm looking forward to poly-fill stuffing my sub box and dropping the sub gain on the helix to bump the bass at the HU a notch or two. Because the EQ on the HU is only a 3 band, that bass setting will affect frequencies above the subs range (most likely, I don't have any specs to know for sure) so I'm hoping for a bit better blend and some more mid bass at the door speakers.

ATR if you haven't yet, check your Helix gain setting. If you're having to drop bass on the HU by 3-4 notches I bet it's turned up too high and you can get a better balance if you adjust that screw with your HU EQ set flat.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Pretty sure you're right.

I'm looking forward to poly-fill stuffing my sub box and dropping the sub gain on the helix to bump the bass at the HU a notch or two. Because the EQ on the HU is only a 3 band, that bass setting will affect frequencies above the subs range (most likely, I don't have any specs to know for sure) so I'm hoping for a bit better blend and some more mid bass at the door speakers.

ATR if you haven't yet, check your Helix gain setting. If you're having to drop bass on the HU by 3-4 notches I bet it's turned up too high and you can get a better balance if you adjust that screw with your HU EQ set flat.
I'll try that out tonight :cool:

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
I am looking at possibly swapping out all of my speakers for Fosgate components (front and rear). I guess my question is will this negate/throw off the signal processing of the helix? Once coded the stereo sounded great, but I can tell the speakers are lacking. Leaving the programming as is I am just curious if replacing the speakers will make a noticeable improvement in sound quality and will not throw off the programming

I've changed the speakers in both of our GTI's now, and my wife and I agree, there were no negative effects to sound. With the DSP, you may just not get the aftermarket speakers' full potential.

copperbricks

Ready to race!
I've been slowly collecting all the stuff gamille mentioned in his build and some new stuff to overhaul my cars audio some.
I bought the Alpine speakers that have been used here before, mainly because crutchfield had a great sale on them and I prefer the way they handle crossovers for wiring. I'm also going to be building a 12" sub box to go under the trunk floor and replace the stock one.

I'll post everything here with lots of pictures as soon as I get some free time to work on my car!

cristoaca

One thing that could affect it is the head unit programming. Coding the Helix does precisely that- code the Helix. It doesn't change the signal coming from the HU. The EQ from the HU is certainly cranking the bass. On the MK6, one had to code the HU for low or high voltage depending on whether they had an amp installed.

So with the Helix box installed, does the head unit have to be programmed for low voltage?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
So with the Helix box installed, does the head unit have to be programmed for low voltage?

The comment he made was about the MK6 systems, there is no programming to the factory headunit needed for the Helix install, only the Helix unit itself.

scaper28

I have just purchased a Helix subwoofer for my golf mk7 2013 and I am very pleased.

Does anyone have any updates on what speakers work best with the helix sub and dsp setup with todays current line up of speakers