GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB 2 Bench Setup

vertigo12369

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Everyone,

Like many 2015 owners, I'm trying to figure out (step by step) how to retrofit the MIB2 system into my vehicle. I've sifted through many posts (thanks, DV52) and compiled the diagram below, but I'm still missing some connector PN and pinout information. Is there anyone who can fill in the ?s?

MIB2 Diagram.jpg

EDIT: I plan to power the unit(s) up on the bench first to test them out and see what settings I can access.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
if you do figure this out, I will happily swap mine once I can afford it. Carplay is way too slick...

hal

Ready to race!
I think with regards to connections you got almost everything figured out already. You'll get the head unit and the display and they will power on. There will be component protection that maybe the dealer will charge you to unlock but your big issue is going to be coding all the features to work. AFAIK no one has figured out all infotainment coding yet but I could be wrong. You might also need the ECU updated as well.

BTW that black 12P connector at the display side should already be there if you have the Composition Media.

vertigo12369

Passed Driver's Ed
Someone figured it out awhile back from my understanding. This any help?:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...&p=91457770&viewfull=1#/topics/7466330?page=1

That is ALMOST everything. Not all of the coding information is there; I'm sure there is work to be done even after the component protection is removed. That is the location from which I've compiled.

Anyway, I received the screen and head unit on Wed from a wreck. Wire harness and test power supply ordered today. Still looking for the J685(?) display screen pinout. Looks like no more than 4 wires (power, ground, CAn+, CAN-).

vertigo12369

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally received most of the pieces to fire everything up outside the vehicle. Still short one cable, but I think I can remove keyways to make the second USB cable function as the video screen cable.

Attachments

• BenchPart2.jpg
    BenchPart2.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 6,770

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Definitely subscribing and following along. I've been very very curious to retrofit this on my 2015 as well. I found a head unit and 6.5" screen for pretty cheap but have been reluctant to pull the trigger.

So based on the above, I would need more than just the head unit, screen, and USB/Aux plug? Then there's the whole issue of component protection. Wish it were so much simpler!

vertigo12369

Passed Driver's Ed
So based on the above, I would need more than just the head unit, screen, and USB/Aux plug? Then there's the whole issue of component protection. Wish it were so much simpler!

Your understanding is correct. I bought some extra stuff. I'm going to power up the unit outside the vehicle and try to modify the software via vcds before I put it in the vehicle.

arawhy

Any updates on this build? Great job btw, looks very promising please keep us posted about your findings

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Any updates on this? I assume you got your MIB2 harness on Aliexpress? Which one did you go with?

BTW...I'm pretty sure you've got your Pink and your Curry USBs crossed.

Last edited:

Arad_20

Why do you need a harness? When i Installed mine it was as simple as replacing the display and headunit, removing cp and i was done.

stuntnuts

Go Kart Newbie
Why do you need a harness? When i Installed mine it was as simple as replacing the display and headunit, removing cp and i was done.

I think it's because he wanted to do a "bench test" and didn't want to cut out the harness in his dash to perform said bench test.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
OP also said they were looking into retrofitting this on their car. Seems to me doing it on the bench was only considered as a test so they wouldn't have to tear into their vehicle. The retrofit now been accomplished successfully by many, including myself. And the how-to by George AB is fantastic.

Not much utility in building a bench harness at this point. Removing component protection requires logging into ODIS to register the new radio with the VIN of the car it's currently in. Not sure where it's reading the VIN, probably the ECU which would mean needing a harness that connects to an actual ECU or otherwise spoofing it.

As an academic exercise it's intetesting. I have an in-progress MK4 ECU/cluster/ignition cylinder rig that right now includes about 10 switches to simulate sensors and inputs. MK4 is simple as pie compared to the mk7 in this regard. It doesn't appear the OP was looking for any of that though.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk