GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GolfWang's Boring Build Thread

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I've been waiting a long time to do this.

Due to an interesting set of circumstances, I now own 2 MK7's... Well, Kinda. My dad's driving my other one for the time being.

Anyway, on Friday (March 31st) I signed the dotted lines on a CPO 4-dr 2015 Night Blue GTI S with DSG. Super low miles (17.2K), super low price (17.5), and a super good rate (for a 23 year old making their first fully independent car purchase). I absolutely love the thing. I'm glad my first 2 GTIs were stick, but I have to admit that, even on the stock TCU programming which we all know is a bit of a head scratcher, the DSG is just so much better. I'm so happy with the power delivery (on account of the ratios) and shifting speeds that I may never even get a JB1 for this car, something I felt the manual needed.

I'm really glad I got the S model, because the Helix upgrade is more to my liking than the Fender, and I'd rather get Ed's Golf R replicas than the OEM LP. Outside of those two individual upgrades, there is essentially nothing on the upper trims and even packages (besides PP, of course) that I care for. I just wanted my cloth seats back so bad.

Anyway, this wouldn't be a build thread without some mods, so I'll start with the first and only thing i've done yet: put the Euroswitch from my LP equipped GTI into my new one, which caused a fault (I wonder why?).

Next up: I gotta get my Enkei's (wrapped in some pretty decent budget UHP All Seasons) from my other car onto the new one. These Pirellis suckkkkkkk.

I'll get more up this weekend, but here's the beauty and the beast, from right to left:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Finally! Congrats! I knew you'd find one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, i was super close to buying a manual 2016 Night Blue Autobahn with PP, LP, DCC, paint protection/clear bra, ED springs, and the whole DeAutoKey LED suite, and literally the same amount of miles (17K)... but it was 24K, before TTL. I'm still in college, and will be facing sizable loans when i'm done next january. ~26K all-in is stretching the budget too far, not to mention the fact that I did not truly want a manual.

My final decision may not have been the most value-per dollar, but I'm perfectly happy with it, it didnt cost a penny out if pocket, my monthly payments are less, and my maturity is shorter. I will be most likely be driving this one into the ground (unless, of course, I find myself doing particularly well within a few years out of school... in which case we already know what my next step will be ;)

yosoydan

Ready to race!
Congrats GW, you got a ton of car for a great price. Super jealous of the Night Blue, should have gotten that color over the Pure White.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Congrats GW, you got a ton of car for a great price. Super jealous of the Night Blue, should have gotten that color over the Pure White.

Thanks man, and PW was the ~only~ other color I would've gotten had I found a similar deal. PW doesn't show dirt the way the Blue does, and shows all the accents just as well. But Night Blue just shines soooooo beautifully in the sunlight.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So, I got the wheels (EKM3's: 18x8 ET45 wrapped in 235/40 Cooper Zeon RS3-A's) from the other car onto my new one, and it is not all kittens and rainbows like I'd hoped. My main reason for not sticking with the other GTI was that I was involved in an accident 2 years ago that required replacement of the front and rear driver side suspension components. Since then... it has pulled to the left, incessantly so, despite multiple warranty repairs and alignments.

So now, my new car pulls to the left, because my previous car's messed up suspension wore the tires unevenly. Time for new tires -__________- (these ~should've~ lasted me at least 30K, got about 12 out of em)

yosoydan

Ready to race!
Maybe you can use the Coopers for the winter and grab a set of Summers. I also have the same Cooper All Seasons but I'm eyeing the Indy 500s now, haha.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Maybe you can use the Coopers for the winter and grab a set of Summers. I also have the same Cooper All Seasons but I'm eyeing the Indy 500s now, haha.

I had considered this. I'm gonna get the tires inspected by a really good shop by me, and see what they say. If they appear good, maybe it just needs a road force balance. Also I need to stop letting tire shops mount my wheels to the car for me. they never follow my instructions on how to ensure the wheels are centered on the hub rings properly. So there's a few possibilities left to tackle that i'm going to eliminate in what i deem the most logical progression, before i move forward with buying new tires.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

What's your tire size? What wheels are they on? OEM? If aftermarket, what wheel size? Also, how would you compare how they ride to stock?

yosoydan

Ready to race!
I had considered this. I'm gonna get the tires inspected by a really good shop by me, and see what they say. If they appear good, maybe it just needs a road force balance. Also I need to stop letting tire shops mount my wheels to the car for me. they never follow my instructions on how to ensure the wheels are centered on the hub rings properly. So there's a few possibilities left to tackle that i'm going to eliminate in what i deem the most logical progression, before i move forward with buying new tires.

Makes sense, and I hear you about tire shops-- I now go to Smith and they follow the book and make sure things like the torque specs are on point.

My Coopers are on a set of VW Rotary wheels, so they're OEM. Wheel specs are 18 x 7.5 ET51. I really, really like them. Ride doesn't feel different (well at least not from the wheels. I'm lowered so there's that).

They're heavy, but I got them for a reasonable price and the grey/gunmetal finish looks nice on Pure White.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Congrats....I'll look for you around town.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Where's around town? I live in Mount Laurel NJ, and commute to New Brunswick on the turnpike for school. I also spend plenty of time in philly and glassboro on weekends.

kfitzpatr

Ready to race!
Where's around town? I live in Mount Laurel NJ, and commute to New Brunswick on the turnpike for school. I also spend plenty of time in philly and glassboro on weekends.
Live in Medford. ...frequent Mt.Laurel for shopping.
I'm an older fella in a blk semi-modded mk7.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk