Golf MK7 Bumper Swap

Mk7.5_Damian

Car(s)
2019 MK7.5 GTI
Hey guys quick question,
MK7 Golf..
Planning on doing alot of mods for this coming summer,
APR Stage 2, engine mods + aesthetics.
I would like to swap out my front bumper with a GTI or R front bumper as I love the look better (Especially where the fog lights are).
Dealership told me however those bumpers would NOT fit my car,
I personally don't believe them...
Anyone know for sure?

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Mounting is the same across all three models. You will need all the bumper specific brackets and trim as well as the under tray.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
^ Agreed, and I second the note that it's not just the bumper skin you'll need to swap. All sorts of supports/ducting/grills, etc. will be needed.

Also, you should stick with the GTI bumper if you want OEM fog lights. The R bumper only has ducts for oil coolers, no fog lights unless you add aftermarket ones.

Mk7.5_Damian

Car(s)
2019 MK7.5 GTI
^ Agreed, and I second the note that it's not just the bumper skin you'll need to swap. All sorts of supports/ducting/grills, etc. will be needed.

Also, you should stick with the GTI bumper if you want OEM fog lights. The R bumper only has ducts for oil coolers, no fog lights unless you add aftermarket ones.
Can you do me a favour and look up Part Number: 5G0-898-217-H-GTI on http://shopdap.com/ and tell me if thats everything I would need?

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Yes that's what you need but jeez that's expensive. Try some wrecking yards near you or even eBay for used parts if you want to save some money.

Shameless plug since it's related. Here's my Gti with an R front bumper.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
id love to do a mk6 r bumper but im sure it would be wicked hard to do

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Yes that's what you need but jeez that's expensive. Try some wrecking yards near you or even eBay for used parts if you want to save some money.

I hate you... lol! I've been contemplating this swap for 2 years now but actually seeing one done has convinced me I want to go through with it at some point. Looks sharp.

chebaroony

Passed Driver's Ed

Hi , can you tell me where you sourced the parts for this swap please , I'm seriously considering it too , any info will be very much appreciated, cheers

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
Hi i would like to revive this thread, Please could someone help me with fitting rear bumper on Golf 7 Wagon preFL

I retrofitted Fl taillights and i would like to upgrade rear bumper...
What are my options ? which one will fit ?

Gtd FL
R-line FL
Standard FL

Im quite sure all the preFL will fit ...

NabsNabsNabs

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 GT 2.0LTDI

Loving this, am thinking going for the same, so good to see the gti honeycomb grill combo with straight slatted grill from the R can work together. Was originally wondering if there was a honeycomb lower grill for the R bumpers but might not be necessary.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Holy thread resurrection Batman.
My kit was from ECS tuning. Bremen parts R conversion and included everything. It fit nicely without gaps but there were no instructions at all. If you zoom in you can see that the brake ducts actually include the honeycomb design which lends nicely to swapping a Gti. My suggestion is that you also have all the pieces that come gloss black painted in gloss black. My center grille was damaged during shipping so I had it repaired and painted but the duct grilles were left as is and they faded after being in the sun for a few years. Also the lower trim that is brushed silver on the R comes chrome with the Ecs kit. I wrapped it in gloss black vinyl.

NabsNabsNabs

Car(s)
Golf Mk7 GT 2.0LTDI
Holy thread resurrection Batman.
My kit was from ECS tuning. Bremen parts R conversion and included everything. It fit nicely without gaps but there were no instructions at all. If you zoom in you can see that the brake ducts actually include the honeycomb design which lends nicely to swapping a Gti. My suggestion is that you also have all the pieces that come gloss black painted in gloss black. My center grille was damaged during shipping so I had it repaired and painted but the duct grilles were left as is and they faded after being in the sun for a few years. Also the lower trim that is brushed silver on the R comes chrome with the Ecs kit. I wrapped it in gloss black vinyl.
Ah nice I didn't spot that, subtle but I like it.

Pavlos

Car(s)
VW Golf MK7
Hey guys quick question,
MK7 Golf..
Planning on doing alot of mods for this coming summer,
APR Stage 2, engine mods + aesthetics.
I would like to swap out my front bumper with a GTI or R front bumper as I love the look better (Especially where the fog lights are).
Dealership told me however those bumpers would NOT fit my car,
I personally don't believe them...
Anyone know for sure?
Hi Damien.

Im looking to do the same as you now. I have looked at your link of the parts and it seems to just be the bumper, grills and retainer with the fog lights, is this all you needed in the end or did you buy any more parts? Did you need the specific brackets? I would really appreciate you listing how you did it and what you needed in the end.
Also, the link was for a 'conversion kit' and not necessarily a 1-1 copy of the original GTI bumper. Can you confirm?
Thanks

ericek565

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk 7 Variant 2.0
@Pavlos
I talked with friends from Germany about bumper swap.
If you have FL - Only FL bumper will fit
If you have preFL - Only preFL will fit
I recently swapped one bumper it was MK7 Variant ( It have the same bumper as Hatch)
And the GTI bumper from another car was a direct swap but you need the full bumper. Even the lower lip.
You can also fit "R-LINE" bumper (European market) i dont know it you have that spec do not confuze it with "R".

For the R bumper to fit you will need much more to do.