GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the door exit warning lights from the VW Passat (2013->)

fullyswitched

Passed Driver's Ed
I was expecting the lamp to have an interference issue as you noted. It seems that they just make it in there at least for the front doors of a US spec car. Another possibility is that perhaps our door cards use slightly different pockets.

To fill in a bit more of my wire harness building box I ordered 100 of the pins used in the 000-979-009-E wire repair kit. I believe they are TE brand and 928999-1 is the part number. Along with a bunch of the equivalent to a 000-979-940 butt connector which I think is suitable for 24-26 awg, I used these to perform the wiring changes in my doors.

roy2535

Passed Driver's Ed
Just have a question on the door clips. Do they release/extend with a strong pull? Or do they have to be pushed in then pulled to be released? Thanks!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just have a question on the door clips. Do they release/extend with a strong pull? Or do they have to be pushed in then pulled to be released? Thanks!

Straight strong pull, no need to push first.............:cool:

fullyswitched

Passed Driver's Ed
The Chinese 3AD door warning lamps were not readily compatible with the rear doors of my '16 GSW. I was able to make the lamps work and fit nicely but it isn't as easy as the front doors which take the 3AD lamps as they are on both doors.

I had to modify the lamps using a Dremel and I had to modify the door trim panels using a Dremel. The left side rear door required a pocket be made for the bump on the back of the lamp where the bulb protrudes. I also had to remove material from the door trim card to provide clearance for the electrical connector.

The right side rear door trim panel required a pocket for the bulb bump of the lamp and the lamp had to be modified by removing the electrical connector from the white plastic housing of the lamp. The connector position of the lamp happens to be inisde of a molded pocket without any ease of access. I drilled a hole in the lamp on the side without the connector, passed through two wires and soldered directly to the copper traces in the lamp. I ordered the mating connector 3B0-972-712 and used some pins to relocate the connector a few inches from the lamp and retain the male/female connector pattern used by VW.

If I had to do this over I would have removed the connector from the left rear door lamp too and added the wiring to the lamp just as I did for the right rear door.

The info about wiring in this thread was accurate for my car. For the US or really anywhere with Mexican made wiring harnesses be aware that the door's wiring is all white, all of it, every wire. I noticed that the ground wires seem to have a single green dot on white insulation both at the window motor and at the door latch.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The Chinese 3AD door warning lamps were not readily compatible with the rear doors of my '16 GSW. I was able to make the lamps work and fit nicely but it isn't as easy as the front doors which take the 3AD lamps as they are on both doors.

I had to modify the lamps using a Dremel and I had to modify the door trim panels using a Dremel. The left side rear door required a pocket be made for the bump on the back of the lamp where the bulb protrudes. I also had to remove material from the door trim card to provide clearance for the electrical connector.

The right side rear door trim panel required a pocket for the bulb bump of the lamp and the lamp had to be modified by removing the electrical connector from the white plastic housing of the lamp. The connector position of the lamp happens to be inisde of a molded pocket without any ease of access. I drilled a hole in the lamp on the side without the connector, passed through two wires and soldered directly to the copper traces in the lamp. I ordered the mating connector 3B0-972-712 and used some pins to relocate the connector a few inches from the lamp and retain the male/female connector pattern used by VW.

If I had to do this over I would have removed the connector from the left rear door lamp too and added the wiring to the lamp just as I did for the right rear door.

The info about wiring in this thread was accurate for my car. For the US or really anywhere with Mexican made wiring harnesses be aware that the door's wiring is all white, all of it, every wire. I noticed that the ground wires seem to have a single green dot on white insulation both at the window motor and at the door latch.

Sounds like you had fun!!!...

Or NOT!...........

Forum member "Sootchucker" who I link to his post on the rear doors did not have to create a "pocket/bump" for the front or rear lights units & had coloured wiring in the front & rear doors as a German built UK spec car.

TBH I could have fitted the front light units without making the pocket/bump but wanted to make sure there was no pressure on the connector.

I am shocked that in your Mexican built NAR car the rear doors have all white wiring, so how the hell do you differentiate?:eek:

fullyswitched

Passed Driver's Ed
I was a bit surprised to see the harness made in such a way. I pointed out the wiring to one of my techs, we had a good laugh about the penny pinching on the door harness. I think there may be a cost savings is in using only one color of wire.

If one unwinds the cloth binding tape and moves the mfg tag the wires are barely marked with a color dot on each wire near the door latch connector. As far as tracing that sort of wiring, it isn't fun. Cryptic wiring is not going to make diagnosis any easier. I unwrapped a lot of cloth tape to be certain I was cutting the correct wire. The cloth binding tape makes it hard to tug on a wire and see if it connects to where you hope/think it connects.

I have been thinking of adding a pair of lights to the bottom edge of the hatch. I believe some A6 Avant models and the Q5 have two hatch lamps that face downwards when the hatch is in the up position.

vqv

Passat B8 Door Warning LED from AliExpress

In case anyone is looking for a low cost source for the Passat LED Door Warning lights...

I purchased a set of four including wire harnesses for $30 USD + $10 shipping from this AliExpress seller:

OEM Original LED Door Warning Light with cable VW PASSAT B8 B7 B6 CC Golf 5 6 Jetta MK5 MK6 TIGUAN 947 411 947411

It took nearly 6 weeks from order placement until delivery. The part number is 3GD 947 411, which is slightly different from the part number earlier this thread (3G0 947 411), but the part looks nearly identical and the 3G prefix indicates that it is meant for the Passat B8. It came in a bag marked with the FAW-VW logos, and it looks like legitimately OEM for the Chinese market.

Compared with the earlier incandescent door warning light (3AD 947 411), these later LED lights bulge out more in the rear and interfere with the pocket in the front door panel. Given their low cost ($10/each), I have no qualms about modifying them to fit. I plan to just use a Dremel to cut off the connector on the back and run a short wire to a female connector (3B0 972 712) through the side of the housing – I sourced these from AliExpress as well. This will hopefully allow them to fit both the rear and front doors of my SportWagen.

Attachments

• IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 2,382
  • IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 2,335
  • IMG_0794.jpg
    IMG_0794.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 2,470
  • IMG_0795.jpg
    IMG_0795.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 2,413
Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Compared with the earlier incandescent door warning light (3AD 947 411), these later LED lights bulge out more in the rear and interfere with the pocket in the front door panel. Given their low cost ($10/each), I have no qualms about modifying them to fit. I plan to just use a Dremel to cut off the connector on the back and run a short wire to a female connector (3B0 972 712) through the side of the housing – This will hopefully allow them to fit both the rear and front doors of my SportWagen.

Basically either fit the original incandescent bulb versions, no modification to door, & retro fit a CAN bus LED unit, or fit the newer Passat LED units, like I did.

However I modified the door trim panel instead of the LED unit as if the LED unit fails you have modify the replacement, I don't have to as the door trim panel has been modified...;)

vqv

Basically either fit the original incandescent bulb versions, no modification to door, & retro fit a CAN bus LED unit, or fit the newer Passat LED units, like I did.

However I modified the door trim panel instead of the LED unit as if the LED unit fails you have modify the replacement, I don't have to as the door trim panel has been modified...;)

Yup, and by the way, thanks for the excellent write up!

vqv

Update. Installed the Passat B8 LED warning lights to my front doors yesterday. I modified the housing by sawing off the plastic connector and attaching a pigtail with the correct mating connector housing. The modified light fits without any modification to the door panel.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Update. Installed the Passat B8 LED warning lights to my front doors yesterday. I modified the housing by sawing off the plastic connector and attaching a pigtail with the correct mating connector housing.

Determined to not modify the door panel you were...;)

GolfMNE

Ready to race!
Update. Installed the Passat B8 LED warning lights to my front doors yesterday. I modified the housing by sawing off the plastic connector and attaching a pigtail with the correct mating connector housing. The modified light fits without any modification to the door panel.

Same modification needed for rear doors?