GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'17 GTI PP JB4 - legit coyote kill?

work2fly

Passed Driver's Ed
For anyone familiar with the bay area, I was leaving Half Moon Bay this morning on CA 92 East, following a 2-3 year old Mustang. Twin pipes, horse on the rear deck lid emblem, and a 5.0 badge just behind the front wheels. No GT emblems anywhere.

He gave it the beans down the long stretch before the road becomes a divided highway up over the hill. I tailed him and nailed it once the highway divided. I just about overtook him before the first right hand corner but slowed for the turn, as I was fearful he was going in too hot, and didn't want to chance him wrecking into me. As soon as I hit the apex, I nailed it again and cleanly pulled away.

I was cautious about the next turn - a left hand hairpin, so he overtook me again, and once again at the apex, I nailed it and cleanly beat him to the merge.

I'm pretty sure he was working it hard...you could see his tail get squirrely around the turns. When the road opened back up right before 280, he passed and as we looked at each other, he was scowling. Lo siento, amigo :D

So I'm wondering, could an otherwise stock 2017 GTI with a JB4 (map 1) take a 5.0 in a third gear roll on? I don't believe it, so I'm thinking it was a 6 with aspirational badging.

Mels15GTI

Ready to race!
I have an NPM, kinda close on hp figures to a jb, I got raped by a boss 302 last night, I had nothing for it. Not sure if he was stock or not, but he put a bus or two on me.

Royal1

Ready to race!
For anyone familiar with the bay area, I was leaving Half Moon Bay this morning on CA 92 East, following a 2-3 year old Mustang. Twin pipes, horse on the rear deck lid emblem, and a 5.0 badge just behind the front wheels. No GT emblems anywhere.

He gave it the beans down the long stretch before the road becomes a divided highway up over the hill. I tailed him and nailed it once the highway divided. I just about overtook him before the first right hand corner but slowed for the turn, as I was fearful he was going in too hot, and didn't want to chance him wrecking into me. As soon as I hit the apex, I nailed it again and cleanly pulled away.

I was cautious about the next turn - a left hand hairpin, so he overtook me again, and once again at the apex, I nailed it and cleanly beat him to the merge.

I'm pretty sure he was working it hard...you could see his tail get squirrely around the turns. When the road opened back up right before 280, he passed and as we looked at each other, he was scowling. Lo siento, amigo :D

So I'm wondering, could an otherwise stock 2017 GTI with a JB4 (map 1) take a 5.0 in a third gear roll on? I don't believe it, so I'm thinking it was a 6 with aspirational badging.

To me it sounds like what John B. Was saying above. You probably would have heard it if it was a 5.0 and he probably just bought a 5.0 badge off eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joel

Ready to race!
Was it obnoxiously loud?
The coyote motor mustang is LOUD... nothing subtle about it.

Mk7CarbonSteel

Passed Driver's Ed
I used to own a 2012 V6 Mustang...they had enough power to get quite squirrely in turns and surprise some people, even having the long economy rear gears. Throw in some 3.73s or 4.10s and you could really do some damage, though still shy of a coyote. I'm guessing it was a 6 with gears and badges on the fenders. Exhausts on the 6s sound nice, but can almost sound like an import in a way. Any exhaust on a 8, including stock, you'd be able to hear and know right away if it was a GT.

work2fly

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't recall the exhaust being especially loud or even notable. I guess between the lack of sound and my pull-aways, it's probably certain it wasn't a V-8.

Venumous

Ready to race!
Even a bone stock Coyote is going to be able to touch 110-111mph traps, assuming someone can drive. A MAP1 JB4 isn't going to get you there my friend. That being said, I surely hope there are not any V6 owners plopping 5.0 badges on their fenders, that is next level dumb. None of the GT's come with a Pony on the rear deck from the factory that I'm aware of on the S550 (event the CA Special has a GT emblem). My 13 Boss had a Pony emblem with the tri-bar on the rear deck though.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
It takes a stage 2 car to beat a 5.0 usually. The ones around me never want to play so I can't remember if I've raced one since going JB4 FBO. Map 2 JB4 might get you close, but all depends how stock they really are :)

Lagger1

Ready to race!
I gave it the beans with a 13-14' California Special w/the 5.0 on a on-ramp thru top of 3rd. Pretty even with him nudging slightly ahead. So not implausible with a Stage 1/JB...but you wouldn't be pulling away at all, just keeping pace.