GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowering Springs GTD

MrPotatoHead1

Passed Driver's Ed
Im thinking of getting some raceingline performance springs/VWR and get any reviews on these or alternatives.

VWR springs are very good, I barely noticed any difference in ride quality over OEM. Done 20k miles on them. Car handles well, better than OEM through the corners. Think others have used H&R or Eibach springs.

This is the ride height mine sits at, wheels stanced out using H&R spacers, 10mm front and 15mm rear. Sits a bit higher than I'd ideally like it to be at the rear but good coilovers are an expensive way to fix that...

Hope this helps mate :)

Moranatang

Only real question is i do a small bit of towing (detachable towbar) what are they like when there a bit of weight on them for example fully loaded car ?

MrPotatoHead1

Passed Driver's Ed
Only real question is i do a small bit of towing (detachable towbar) what are they like when there a bit of weight on them for example fully loaded car ?

OK well I recently did a roadtrip to France with the car full to the brim with luggage and two mountain bikes inside, the rear settled a little lower as expected with the tyre sitting nicely just into the arch, however I don't know how much clearance that would leave for a tow bar to be fitted.

I'll try dig a photo out of it fully laden to give you an idea as the car was sitting a lot lower than the one above.

Moranatang

Where did you get your spacers from ? did you fit yourself ? im guessing you probably had more weight in the back of your car when you went to france compared to when im towing a small trailer.

VWR springs are very good, I barely noticed any difference in ride quality over OEM. Done 20k miles on them. Car handles well, better than OEM through the corners. Think others have used H&R or Eibach springs.
When they're that lower (as they are) without being stiffer (you'd notice
a clear difference otherwise), then they cannot be "very good". Lowering
to that degree requires more stiffness (increased spring rates). If stock
spring rates are retained, then you'll inevitably suffer from bottoming out
more often. Unfortunately, stiffer spring rates also requires some adequate
damping, which the stock dampers don't provide. If you have DCC, setting
to "sport" may help. If you don't have DCC, you'd need uprated dampers.
If you don't want to spend on a set of appropriate dampers, it's best to
choose lowering springs with a milder lowering, such as Driver Gear springs
or Eibach Pro kit.
You don't need to agree with me, I don't even expect that, but you can't
get away from this. It's just physics. VWR may seem "acceptable" to some
or even many people, but they're definitely not "very good", and I want
those who read this topic read a different opinion. Hope you don't get me
any wrong.

;)

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
^^^This
Dampers are designed to work in a specific "window" of their travel. If you alter this (e.g. by changing the spring length) you a) have a damper that don't work in tandem with the spring, b) your dampers will fail sooner than stock. Buy a set of lowering dampers, preferably serviceable to save money down the road, and you're ready to go.

MrPotatoHead1

Passed Driver's Ed
Where did you get your spacers from ? did you fit yourself ? im guessing you probably had more weight in the back of your car when you went to france compared to when im towing a small trailer.

I got the spacers from DPM Performance and fitted those myself. They are H&R TRAK+ which are a hubcentric spacer and came with the correct length wheel bolts. If you do get wheel spacers in the future then you will need to purchase longer length locking bolts.

I suppose it depends on what you are towing on the trailer at the end of the day.

As for Captain Obvious's post above; he is correct, yes the stock dampers will wear quicker with just a spring kit fitted, this is the downfall of just purchasing lowering springs. However, I believe he has failed to see the point of my post to the initial question which was to give you an experience of the springs fitted to a GTD as per your request. VWR ride well considering that they are fitted onto the GTD's stock dampers, as I already mentioned in my first post, other have used Eibach springs, but many on here have VWR and the vast majority have provided positive "opinions" of this setup on their cars. If you have the money to fork out on a good spring and damper setup or coilovers then definitely go for it, I would have had I at the time had the cash to spend and is something I plan to do in the future. Anyways, I hope this has helped with deciding what options to take with your car, cheers.

:cool: