GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advice on 5x114 TSW wheels

bigdave79

Ready to race!
So I found some nearly new 18x8 ET40 TSW Donington wheels locally for a great price (he's willing to give me all 4 wheels for the price he paid for one of them - just wants to be rid of them). Unfortunately they are a 5x114 bolt pattern. But I wanted to ask for some advice before purchasing:

1) I can't use adapters due to the offset so I was thinking about using wobble bolts. Anyone have experience with these? I don't track the car but do drive "spirited" from time to time.
2) According to willtheyfit.com I will have 15 mm extra poke compared to my Austins. Is this too much? I wanted flush but don't want them to stick out past the fenders. My research suggests the back will be OK and the front will be pretty much flush.
3) Anyone have any pictures of these wheels on a mk7 GTI? I asked Google but didn't find much.
4) Any idea how much the wheels weigh? Couldn't find any spec sheets but one website said they were around 20 lbs.

Thanks!

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So I found some nearly new 18x8 ET40 TSW Donington wheels locally for a great price (he's willing to give me all 4 wheels for the price he paid for one of them - just wants to be rid of them). Unfortunately they are a 5x114 bolt pattern. But I wanted to ask for some advice before purchasing:

1) I can't use adapters due to the offset so I was thinking about using wobble bolts. Anyone have experience with these? I don't track the car but do drive "spirited" from time to time.
2) According to willtheyfit.com I will have 15 mm extra poke compared to my Austins. Is this too much? I wanted flush but don't want them to stick out past the fenders. My research suggests the back will be OK and the front will be pretty much flush.
3) Anyone have any pictures of these wheels on a mk7 GTI? I asked Google but didn't find much.
4) Any idea how much the wheels weigh? Couldn't find any spec sheets but one website said they were around 20 lbs.

Thanks!

1. sticky subject.
2. will fit fine (if not using adapters). flush up front, not quite in the rear.
3. I think you will be the first. Looks like a nice wheel.
4. TSWs have never been very light. I'd say more like 23 lbs.

vw671

Autocross Newbie

Thanks!

Just buy mine;)
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26897

bigdave79

Ready to race!
1. sticky subject.
2. will fit fine (if not using adapters). flush up front, not quite in the rear.
3. I think you will be the first. Looks like a nice wheel.
4. TSWs have never been very light. I'd say more like 23 lbs.

Thanks for your input. Maybe I'll go round his place with my scale! Ha.

Don't tempt me! Really love those wheels but I want to stick to 18s and would prefer summer tires.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Wobble bolts are fine if the lug holes are large enough to let them work. Wish that R owner was closer, I'd buy those 19s for my wife's golf.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Will fit. Use the wobble bolts and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
^^Yup

This is true, and I have a feeling the lug holes will be tiny/narrow (usually requiring "tuner"/small diameter lugs) on the TSW's and not able to fit the larger than normal wobble bolts

It's not the seat so much as the actual lug hole. The JDM cars use 12mm studs and our cars are 14mm bolts.

murtaza911

Ready to race!
I'm running wobble bolts. No real issue with driving.

However, most places don't know how to deal with them. So if you have to take your car in for any reason, they end up using an impact gun and it ruins your hub.

This happened to me, when it was time to switch to my winter wheels there was a nice surprise.
I was lucky an able to rethread the hole. But it could have been much worse.

Also my wheels are 18x8.5 ET 40. Here is a picture of the rear