GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipes W/O tune?

Pikkagtr

Ready to race!
I agree, but JB4 beats Cobb in the warranty department, and also JB4 has map6 which you can fine tune depending on ambient temperature, fuel, meth, and so on, so it's not just one-size-fits-all signal interceptor like NPM and Dinan.
also, Cobb OTS tune SUX, and produce less power than JB4, and voids warranty, and the Cobb AP design is so outdated.;)

I hope BMS pays you for the advertising. I just read your post in the voice of one of the high pitch car sales man of the 50s

Map 6 is still not a true flash tune, it is adjusting what it is telling the ECU from the intercepted signal from those sensors

Modding the car has inherent risks and there are no reliable way of saying the piggy back will NOT have your warranty claims denied

The beauty of the "old fashioned and outdated" design of the AP is that you as and end user have options.
* use the OTS maps ( Which sux according to you )
* purchase OTS canned tunes ( MAPerformance )
* Do an e-tune plenty out there
* Do a custome Pro-tune ( Best option IMHO )

BTW no VW dealer can VOID your warranty, that is a very common misconception. They can deny a warranty claim based on a tampered system ie a tune
but if your headlights stop working one day you can have a GT40R large FMIC running nitro fuel and they'd still have to replace your headlights, as those modifications have nothing to do with causing you bulbs to go out.

FPP

Passed Driver's Ed
Cons:
1. you are out of $200-300 for the DP
2. you get a CEL
3. you get smell
4. fail inspection ( for some communist states)
5. might get lean condition (needs confirmation by forum experts)
6. bad for environment and you and your family

You forgot
7. void warranty

nate704

Go Kart Champion
I hope BMS pays you for the advertising. I just read your post in the voice of one of the high pitch car sales man of the 50s

Map 6 is still not a true flash tune, it is adjusting what it is telling the ECU from the intercepted signal from those sensors

Modding the car has inherent risks and there are no reliable way of saying the piggy back will NOT have your warranty claims denied

The beauty of the "old fashioned and outdated" design of the AP is that you as and end user have options.
* use the OTS maps ( Which sux according to you )
* purchase OTS canned tunes ( MAPerformance )
* Do an e-tune plenty out there
* Do a custome Pro-tune ( Best option IMHO )

BTW no VW dealer can VOID your warranty, that is a very common misconception. They can deny a warranty claim based on a tampered system ie a tune
but if your headlights stop working one day you can have a GT40R large FMIC running nitro fuel and they'd still have to replace your headlights, as those modifications have nothing to do with causing you bulbs to go out.

Lol I always wanted to be a car sales man when I retire, so i can professionally lie to customers!

Also, I did NOT say JB4 is better than Cobb AP in terms of tunability of the ECU. DID I SAY JB4 is a true flash tune???? NO I DID NOT!
Please pay attention during your English 101 reading comprehension classes.

I did say that JB4 is not that simple one size fits all piggy back (it can be if you use map 1 or 2 and done with it).

According to you, I advertise for BMS, so i should know better about JB4, so you don't have to explain how it works.

ECU flash tune WILL void warranty period! your turbo and engine most not likely blow up with JB4 ever. It's been proven over at BMW community and it's been proving itself with reliability. With JB4 evertying works within the ECU parameters, so YES it will not void warranty if it's removed.

Most AP users agree that Cobb OTS map sucks, and etune/protune/whatevertune will cost extra $100-300 depending on area, setup, and so on.

Please don't tell me how the warranty works. Everyone knows that the tune will void your powertrain warranty, not everything else. Do you need all the basic common sense knowledge spelled out for you when we talk about warranty and ECU tune? OMG :eek:

my 21 month old son can understand better than you do. lol

Pikkagtr

Ready to race!
Lol I always wanted to be a car sales man when I retire, so i can professionally lie to customers!

Also, I did NOT say JB4 is better than Cobb AP in terms of tunability of the ECU. DID I SAY JB4 is a true flash tune???? NO I DID NOT!
Please pay attention during your English 101 reading comprehension classes.

I did say that JB4 is not that simple one size fits all piggy back (it can be if you use map 1 or 2 and done with it).

According to you, I advertise for BMS, so i should know better about JB4, so you don't have to explain how it works.

ECU flash tune WILL void warranty period! your turbo and engine most not likely blow up with JB4 ever. It's been proven over at BMW community and it's been proving itself with reliability. With JB4 evertying works within the ECU parameters, so YES it will not void warranty if it's removed.

Most AP users agree that Cobb OTS map sucks, and etune/protune/whatevertune will cost extra $100-300 depending on area, setup, and so on.

Please don't tell me how the warranty works. Everyone knows that the tune will void your powertrain warranty, not everything else. Do you need all the basic common sense knowledge spelled out for you when we talk about warranty and ECU tune? OMG :eek:

my 21 month old son can understand better than you do. lol

keep drinking that koolaid buddy
piggy backs are so reliable, they use them on all the fastest platforms right?
GTRs love those piggy backs
AFAIK, the ability to flash tune the F8x platform now is going to flood the market with a lot of used JB4s
You can have an adult discussion without resorting to personal attacks
I never said anything in your post about what YOU said
I simply stated some facts about the JB4 and some facts about the AP and let others decide what is best for them

at the end of the day only the end user can decide what is the best solution for their car
ultimately it is my opinion on the safest performance option, and that is a custom flash tune

Given big power outputs, most would agree a piggy back simply doesn't stand up to a true flash tuning solution.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
keep drinking that koolaid buddy
piggy backs are so reliable, they use them on all the fastest platforms right?
GTRs love those piggy backs
AFAIK, the ability to flash tune the F8x platform now is going to flood the market with a lot of used JB4s
You can have an adult discussion without resorting to personal attacks
I never said anything in your post about what YOU said
I simply stated some facts about the JB4 and some facts about the AP and let others decide what is best for them

at the end of the day only the end user can decide what is the best solution for their car
ultimately it is my opinion on the safest performance option, and that is a custom flash tune

Given big power outputs, most would agree a piggy back simply doesn't stand up to a true flash tuning solution.

lol again reading comprehension fail. Did I say piggy back is so reliable so that it is used on the fast platforms like GTRs? NOPE. I said piggy back is more reliable than flash tune in terms of engine/turbo blow up, warranty, and so on. Please do not add the bs GTR stuff on top of my statement

You are making the story as you go, and you did NOT state just the fact about the JB4. you just assumed or heard about it and posted it as if they were true and factual, but it is NOT.

I just wanted to correct you about JB4, but you got butt hurt and started making things up.

Did I say JB4 is better than custom flash tune? Nope

Piggy back does stand up to flash tunes. Just watched a youtube video jb4 FBO car pulling APR stage 2 car. custom tune might be faster than APR stage 2, but my point is that JB4 is something that can actually stand a chance or get even or beat custom or no custom flash tunes.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
lol again reading comprehension fail. Did I say piggy back is so reliable so that it is used on the fast platforms like GTRs? NOPE. I said piggy back is more reliable than flash tune in terms of engine/turbo blow up, warranty, and so on. Please do not add the bs GTR stuff on top of my statement

You are making the story as you go, and you did NOT state just the fact about the JB4. you just assumed or heard about it and posted it as if they were true and factual, but it is NOT.

I just wanted to correct you about JB4, but you got butt hurt and started making things up.

Did I say JB4 is better than custom flash tune? Nope

Piggy back does stand up to flash tunes. Just watched a youtube video jb4 FBO car pulling APR stage 2 car. custom tune might be faster than APR stage 2, but my point is that JB4 is something that can actually stand a chance or get even or beat custom or no custom flash tunes.

Wrong. Piggyback will never beat a custom flash tune solution. Claiming otherwise just makes your misunderstanding of how these things work painfully obvious, regardless of how much you argue.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21419

Take a look at thread and tell me how many flash tune cars you count before the highest piggyback car, especially for GTIs.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Wrong. Piggyback will never beat a custom flash tune solution. Claiming otherwise just makes your misunderstanding of how these things work painfully obvious, regardless of how much you argue.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21419

Take a look at thread and tell me how many flash tune cars you count before the highest piggyback car, especially for GTIs.

never is bold statement, but I guess same hardware mod and same condition, Cobb custom tune produces/pushes more power since it rewrites how the ECU and its parameters work (JB4 operates within the ECU parameters).

Last edited:

nate704

Go Kart Champion
^^ EXACTLY! If you are worried about the damn warranty, then go with JB4. If not and could care less about the warranty and want to go fast, get a custom tune and not an OTS.

yes, I value my warranty very much since I paid for it. Since I'm not a millionaire, I have limited budget, and if things blow up, I will be in big trouble, and I need to pay other bills which are more important.

I would go for the Cobb AP in a heartbeat if it does not void my powertrain warranty, but unfortunately it will void my warranty.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
yes, I value my warranty very much since I paid for it. Since I'm not a millionaire, I have limited budget, and if things blow up, I will be in big trouble, and I need to pay other bills which are more important.

I would go for the Cobb AP in a heartbeat if it does not void my powertrain warranty, but unfortunately it will void my warranty.
The only reason JB4 doesn't "void" your warranty is because you don't mind committing fraud. Don't get me wrong...I rocked the JB1 for 15k miles before going stage 2. But don't fool yourself. You are tricking the ECU into operating outside stock parameters. Yes, you can remove it, and most likely they'd never find a trace. But a lie of omission is still a lie. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nate704

Go Kart Champion
The only reason JB4 doesn't "void" your warranty is because you don't mind committing fraud. Don't get me wrong...I rocked the JB1 for 15k miles before going stage 2. But don't fool yourself. You are tricking the ECU into operating outside stock parameters. Yes, you can remove it, and most likely they'd never find a trace. But a lie of omission is still a lie. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

right. fraud. so you want to play the "fraud" game now? great. First of all, JB4 will not blow up anything, so no need to fraud your dealer.
Also, JB4 does not operate outside the stock parameters. please study/research before you post.

Sounds like you are a guy who never lies or never commit wrong doing. First, you need to stay on topic, and second, you are committing a CRIME by going stage 2 (Federal Emissions Law), so you still want to play the "fraud" game?