GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealership didn't install an oil filter!

adam1991

Banned
Heh, the real "Catch 22" of this event is, if you had not done the service, but instead had brought the car in to them for the service, do you think the guy who was changing your oil and discovered there was no filter, would have contacted you and said, "Hey Man, guess what? There was no f-ing filter in your housing! Can you believe THAT shit? Hahaha, we are such doofuses!!"
Nah, he would have just stuck a filter in there, and said nothing. He might have shown it to the Service Manager, who might then check the records to see if they did the previous oil service. When he saw it was his dealership that did the service, he would have told his employee to just complete the service, and say nothing.

1000% this.

It was the first thing I thought of. How do you prove it.

At least on a non-German car, lack of an oil filter shows itself IMMEDIATELY.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Not good obviously but it can happen, I would mention it to the dealer then see what they say. A mate once had a car serviced and they fogot to put any oil in it :eek:. He paid, drove off, got around the corner and engine temp went through the roof. He stopped, engine hot enough to fry eggs, and checked the oil - none. He walked back to the dealer, a 'general service any car shop' with an apparent good reputation, wasn't a manufacturer dealership, and they just gave him 5 litres or so of engine oil, not a lot else anyone could do and his car didn't seem to be damaged. But anyone who wouldn't know, or have the time to check such things (oil and / or filter), could have problems....

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Put in filter. Move on. Never let dealer touch car again. Join Jake and I in the dark side.

^ best advice

It’s just an oil filter and you motor is sealed, your car will be fine.

Good luck getting the dealer to admit fault here.

bkuu

Passed Driver's Ed
UPDATE. Spoke with their service director and we had a pleasant conversation. He took my side and offer to refund me for the 10k service they did on that day and apologized. I will also update him whenever I get the oil analysis back from blacklabs to see if there's any problems and he will help me out there as well. Overall, I'm satisfied with their cooperation on this matter.

Xdpker

Ready to race!
UPDATE. Spoke with their service director and we had a pleasant conversation. He took my side and offer to refund me for the 10k service they did on that day and apologized. I will also update him whenever I get the oil analysis back from blacklabs to see if there's any problems and he will help me out there as well. Overall, I'm satisfied with their cooperation on this matter.

Great! Glad to see you had it resolved to your satisfaction. I would be interested in seeing the results of your oil analysis.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Have to admit, you don't see this everyday. As for the long term consequences, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I understand your anger, but if it helps remember where we've come from: The air-cooled V-Dubs didn't have an oil filter; they ran hotter 'n hell; the oil products were no where near as good as they are today; and air-cooled V-Dubs were thought of as the Toyotas of today, if you follow me.

Air cooled VW's engines weren't nearly as complicated nor at the tolerances of today's engines. Apples and Oranges for sure......not a good comparison.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!

Mind blown.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
This. My car has just under 52,000 miles and has never been back to the dealership since I bought it new.

I went once to repair my wheel speed sensor, which I had to tell them what was wrong because they said they needed to keep it overnight, lol no. never been back.

I am just surprised you didn't throw a code for oil pressure.

Hoon

Autocross Champion

Props to the dealership.

Many wouldn't do that.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
VW Jennings has always been solid. A rare mistake from them I'm sure. Glad it worked out and I don't think you'll have any long term issues.