GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R is misfiring and dealer won't do sh*t!

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I have not had a re-occurrence of the hard P0300 since gaping my plugs down to .028 several thousand miles ago. I'm on Uni stg1 now though so I'll have to remember to flash back to stock in case I go to the dealer. Would be interesting to see what they changed in the map, assuming they actually changed the mapping vs just modifying the conditions required for the code to set

I would have done that if it wasn't under warranty, as in my mind this is their problem not mine haha.

I'm hoping because they took so long they actually fixed the issue instead of just making it so the CEL doesn't come on any more. But in either case i can at least renew my plates and pass my emissions/smog testing (CEL is instant failure), so im happier.

SLI

So the fix was just software? No hardware replaced?

I would have done that if it wasn't under warranty, as in my mind this is their problem not mine haha.

I'm hoping because they took so long they actually fixed the issue instead of just making it so the CEL doesn't come on any more. But in either case i can at least renew my plates and pass my emissions/smog testing (CEL is instant failure), so im happier.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
So the fix was just software? No hardware replaced?

Yes pure software, nothing hardware. Took about a half hour to download/update.

On vortex another user said the dealership told them it also fixes the rough idle at startup issue, so its not just disabling the CEL from coming on. No way of knowing for sure and we know how dealers love to make stuff up.

Anecdotally the car does feel smoother at start up, previously you would feel the misfires/roughness right after starting but now I don't. But that could be all just in my head :confused: Won't know for sure until it warms up because thats when the misfires were the worst.

Joel

Ready to race!
I wonder if the update is R specific.
Or if it will also fix the GTI's rough idle at start up, and fish bite at stop lights.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I wonder if the update is R specific.
Or if it will also fix the GTI's rough idle at start up, and fish bite at stop lights.

I believe its R specific as thats what they told me (that was specifically to address the R's misfiring/CEL on startup). They've been wrong before though so might be worth asking your dealer.

Gills

They took so long because after the software fix is identified it then has to go back through all of the emissions testing to ensure compliance. Same thing happens where I work, if it’s an update to the engine software it takes at least six months for validation before release. VW probably knew how to address it, but the whole emissions compliance testing takes months to compete before it can be released to the dealers. Even after all that the legal department has to look over and approve the final drafts for the dealer technical bulletins. I wouldn’t be surprised at all that it took as long as it did to get the fix out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SLI

Did the software update wipe out the programming for the MK7.5 tails or any other VCS coding changes?

Yes pure software, nothing hardware. Took about a half hour to download/update.

On vortex another user said the dealership told them it also fixes the rough idle at startup issue, so its not just disabling the CEL from coming on. No way of knowing for sure and we know how dealers love to make stuff up.

Anecdotally the car does feel smoother at start up, previously you would feel the misfires/roughness right after starting but now I don't. But that could be all just in my head :confused: Won't know for sure until it warms up because thats when the misfires were the worst.

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
the R rough idle and start up is all software related. Either get the software update or get a canned tune such as apr and it will solve this issue. The vw software update was not available when I was experiencing it.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Did the software update wipe out the programming for the MK7.5 tails or any other VCS coding changes?

Its funny you ask that because I did have a little panic attack after giving them the keys (my OBD11 and coding sheet was at work and the dealership is a long drive home at night with no tails haha), but it did not affect ANY OBD11 changes. Ie. my folding mirrors, seat heat memory, tails, etc. all were unchanged. All it did do is clear all the faults and reset the modules (i had an ACC fault i wanted the dealership to look at).

the R rough idle and start up is all software related. Either get the software update or get a canned tune such as apr and it will solve this issue. The vw software update was not available when I was experiencing it.

Yes and no. Yes the fix is all software related, but no there are people with a tune who still have this problem. Also the APR folk don't see it because they just disable the CEL from coming on. They still have a rough idle/misfire on startup, and throw codes when scanning. I guess it's definitely different values/software than what the tunes changes.

So far it seems as though the update has fixed the problem. I used to trigger
a CEL when the weather goes from cold to warm and we had some 15 degree Celsius days that definitely would have caused the misfire CEL, but still nothing. Car also feels noticeably smoother on startup, so i don't think VW just disabled the CEL from coming on.

jkfkoo

Its funny you ask that because I did have a little panic attack after giving them the keys (my OBD11 and coding sheet was at work and the dealership is a long drive home at night with no tails haha), but it did not affect ANY OBD11 changes. Ie. my folding mirrors, seat heat memory, tails, etc. all were unchanged. All it did do is clear all the faults and reset the modules (i had an ACC fault i wanted the dealership to look at).

Yes and no. Yes the fix is all software related, but no there are people with a tune who still have this problem. Also the APR folk don't see it because they just disable the CEL from coming on. They still have a rough idle/misfire on startup, and throw codes when scanning. I guess it's definitely different values/software than what the tunes changes.

So far it seems as though the update has fixed the problem. I used to trigger
a CEL when the weather goes from cold to warm and we had some 15 degree Celsius days that definitely would have caused the misfire CEL, but still nothing. Car also feels noticeably smoother on startup, so i don't think VW just disabled the CEL from coming on.

Mind sharing which dealer you went to for the update? I've asked Pfaff about it and they said they'd look into it.. never ended up getting a call back.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Mind sharing which dealer you went to for the update? I've asked Pfaff about it and they said they'd look into it.. never ended up getting a call back.

It's probably a low priority i don't think they make any money doing the update haha. I went to Maple VW (right by Wonderland). I'll PM you my info.